Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shipping from Boston

shipping from Boston

Hi All, I received a quote for round trip shipping from Boston to Portland. $900 if a group of around 10 shipped. this would be a dedicated trailer, with a major carrier. I am curious if there is an interest. Because I'm a working stiff, this would give me lots of time on the west coast.

East - west shipping

I'm in the process of working out details from RI to Ore.
    Looks like $920.00
    ouch, one way, will ride two up back

Reel Job

If you guys are looking for a group out of the Boston-Providence area, you might want to post up on the Yankee Beemers, Vermont BMWMOA, or Ocean State BMW riders sites to complete your group. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    Hi All, I received a quote for round trip shipping from Boston to Portland. $900 if a group of around 10 shipped. this would be a dedicated trailer, with a major carrier. I am curious if there is an interest. Because I'm a working stiff, this would give me lots of time on the west coast.
    That is an amazing deal. What's the carrier?

Ute's Chauffeur
    I would definitely be interested. Do you have any idea how long for the bike to make the trip and when the return would be? If I do this I want to spend at least 10 days riding out west, without having to ride to get there. Thanks for the work

Sorry taking so long to respond, I have been traveling. It turns out my friend's company doesn't ship bikes. He had checked with Federal, they made a quote of $880 round trip from their terminal near Boston (all the bikes are loaded at the same time) then shipped to Portland terminal (where they wait for pickup) Here is the catch: total of $8000 insurance for the whole load, so that is $800 worth of insurance for each bike. If you want more insurance it is $6 per thousand. They had suggested that each owner should check with their own insurance carrier to see if they cover the bike while being shipped. So a $15K bike X $6 = $90, but I don't know if insurance needs to be purchased for each way.
    Last edited by T-foiler; 02-24-2013 at 05:21 AM.

Ute's Chauffeur
    Still an excellent deal. If the bike isn't off the road too long and I could do my post rally trip I am in.

I see this as a two week holiday from work, but others will want a different schedule. The bikes should be there by the weekend before the rally. Being the independent cusses that we are, it will be difficult enough getting riders to agree on a shipping out date. So I'm thinking two prearranged shipping dates back home - dates of whenever. Some of us cusses will want to ride home, we would just need to get others that want to ship home. Ever see a large group of normally independent crows all flying together and hanging out in the trees swapping lies, I think they are called a murder. What do they call a group of BMW riders?
    My plans are to ride in Oregon before and during the rally, then up to BC for the following week.

Ute's Chauffeur
    Any idea how long the bikes would be in transit?

I might be in for the trip back

Depending on the ship back dates I might be interested in a one-way back to Boston. Have plans for the ride out, but was not looking too forward to the trip back.

boston to portland

I am extremely interested in this. Is this idea going anywhere? The catch for me is that I would only want to ship one way.

Louise

I will talk with the shipper on Monday to verify the details. I would love to get a rough count of people interested and what way(s) they want to ship. Not looking to lock in people just trying to see if this is a viable idea.

I would be interested in shipping out, and riding back.

I was thinking of going to Mayne Island, B.C. after the rally. How long after the rally ends before the shipping back date?

Josh

I will talk with the shipper on Monday to verify the details. I would love to get a rough count of people interested and what way(s) they want to ship. Not looking to lock in people just trying to see if this is a viable idea.
    Sent you a PM.

Louise

kencc
    Would be interested in shipping out.