Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Airhead Tire Pumps - Do they work?

  1. #1
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883

    Airhead Tire Pumps - Do they work?

    Wondering if these pumps can actually be used to adding TP.

    My R60/5 didn't come with one.

    Should I have one?
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    705
    If it's the original one that came mounted on the frame (hand pump) - yes, they do work. I wore mine out pumping up VW tires. It should really be used on just motorcycle and bicycle tires. I've fixed a few flats on the road with the original spoons and hand pump quite a few times.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,437
    2 different questions.
    1) yes, they work.
    2) "having one" really depends upon your expectations and desires. if i had one, i might use it. if i did not, i would either purchase a small electric pump, or use CO2 cartridges, or buy a good bicycle tire pump (mntn bike spec rather than road spec). my choice of preferred weapon would probably be same as order listed.
    3) only thing that would make me want a stock hand pump would be if i was going for a concourse level restoration. and since the original steel one is NLA, even less reason to go for a new OEM, as they are plastic construction.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  4. #4
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    154

    Tire pumps

    If you hold yout thumb ovrt the end, pump it, and you feel pressure, then yes, it will work.
    With that in mind, consider the fact that it takes about 3000 strokes to get enough air in the tube so you can get to the nearest compressor. Don't ask me how I know.
    So my opinion is that they're just there for looks, and I carry a small electric pump.
    Boxerbruce

  5. #5
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,185
    I have 3 pumps with me when I tour. The original pump clipped to the frame (just for show, I suppose). I also have a good bicycle pump in the saddlebag. I usually use this to top off my tires each day. I have a DC-powered pump that runs off the battery once I plug in the cigarette light female receptacle. I went to Wally World and bought one of the cheap $15 battery powered pumps and ripped away all the plastic and retained the essentials. I mounted that to a small piece of plywood just to hold it together. I carry the electric pump, the cables, and cigarette adapter in a small plastic pouch in my saddlebag.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  6. #6
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    If you hold yout thumb ovrt the end, pump it, and you feel pressure, then yes, it will work.
    With that in mind, consider the fact that it takes about 3000 strokes to get enough air in the tube so you can get to the nearest compressor. Don't ask me how I know.
    So my opinion is that they're just there for looks, and I carry a small electric pump.
    Thanks guys and I can surmise how you know, BoxerBruce!

    As always, thanks guys.

    I know Hucky's sells them and good to know that what he's selling may be plastic - I guess I'll ask when I place my parts order. It's not that I "need" one to use but would "like" to have on the bike as I've been cleaning, servicing, and putting her back together as I enjoy doing!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,437
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I also have a good bicycle pump in the saddlebag. I usually use this to top off my tires each day.
    if you are having to top your tires off daily, you have leaking tubes that need replacing. unless you are going thru major changes in altitude (several thousand feet), you really should not be seeing big changes in your air pressure on a daily basis.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  8. #8
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,185
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    if you are having to top your tires off daily, you have leaking tubes that need replacing. unless you are going thru major changes in altitude (several thousand feet), you really should not be seeing big changes in your air pressure on a daily basis.
    Maybe I should have said "checking my tires". But sometimes, they might be a pound or so different...not every day though. Some of the trips are up and down elevations changes.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  9. #9
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,804
    Wear your gloves using the original pump. It gets pretty hot after 3000 strokes!
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  10. #10
    Horizontally opposed Spaulding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    I know Hucky's sells them and good to know that what he's selling may be plastic - I guess I'll ask when I place my parts order.
    The ones that Hans sells (Hucky's) are metal and the one I received from him looks identical to the original that's in my R90S.

  11. #11
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    The ones that Hans sells (Hucky's) are metal and the one I received from him looks identical to the original that's in my R90S.
    Thanks, placed a parts order with Hans today, including the pump!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    417
    When I bought my R90S in late '75, the old line dealer told me that with the /2 air pumps, 4 strokes=1psi. The /6 pumps were less. So, maybe not quite 3000 strokes.

  13. #13
    Nick Kennedy
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Telluride Colorado
    Posts
    125
    Yes they do work and they will work extra good, if you take a couple of minutes to take it apart, clean it and lubricate the shaft and the inside.
    Those airhead tires are skinny and don't hold ton of volume. I like mine just fine.
    Nick Kennedy
    1978 R 80/7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •