Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Consumer reports

Consumer reports

Rates BMW dead last??? Honda #3 H/D #4 Yamaha #1 Hard to believe????????????????

Consumer Reports Survey: Harley-Davidson and BMW Less Reliable Than Japanese Motorcyc

From the Motor Sports Newswire

http://motorsportsnewswire.wordpress...ycles-3281311/

YONKERS, NY ÔÇô March 26, 2013 ÔÇô (Motor Sports Newswire) ÔÇô Harley-Davidson may be an iconic American maker of motorcycles but its bikes have been repair-prone, according to Consumer ReportsÔÇÖ first-ever motorcycle reliability survey, conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center.

About one in four owners of Harley-Davidson motorcycles reported experiencing a major problem in the previous four years. The full report is available at ConsumerReports.org and in the May issue of Consumer Reports, which hits newsstands on March 28.

BMW motorcycles were even less reliable than Harley-Davidsons with about one in three owners reporting problems in the previous four years. Only about one in ten Yamaha owners experienced issues during that time, followed closely Kawasaki and Honda.

ÔÇ£Reliability is one of many factors consumers might consider when purchasing a motorcycle. However, other factors like sculpted lines and rumbling engines also strike the right note among motorcyclists,ÔÇØ said Rik Paul , Auto Editor, Consumer Reports.

Despite the higher number of problems, Harley and BMW owners were among the most satisfied with their bikes. When asked whether, considering everything, they would buy their bike again if they had to do it over, 75 percent of Harley owners said definitely yes, closely followed by 74 percent of BMW owners and 72 percent of Honda owners. By contrast, only 63 and 60 percent of Yamaha and Kawasaki owners, respectively, were as emphatic in this subjective measure.

Among the bikes that needed repairs, survey respondents reporting having the most trouble with accessories, such as lights, instruments, switches, and radios (21 percent), brakes (20 percent), the electrical system (16 percent), and the fuel system (15 percent). Fortunately, most repairs were fairly inexpensive. Three quarters cost less than $200 out-of-pocket.

A welcome trend in motorcycle technology is the growing availability of antilock brakes (ABS). Bikes equipped with ABS are 37 percent less likely to be involved in a fatal crash, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. This critical feature is now standard on many high-end models and adds only a few hundred dollars to the price of more basic bikes ÔÇô an investment Consumer Reports believes to be worthwhile and potentially lifesaving.

About Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports is the worldÔÇÖs largest independent product-testing organization. Using its more than 50 labs, auto test center, and survey research center, the nonprofit rates thousands of products and services annually. Founded in 1936, Consumer Reports has over 8 million subscribers to its magazine, website and other publications. Its advocacy division, Consumers Union, works for health reform, food and product safety, financial reform, and other consumer issues in Washington, D.C., the states, and in the marketplace.

SOURCE: Consumer Reports
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Rates BMW dead last??? Honda #3 H/D #4 Yamaha #1 Hard to believe????????????????
    Not at all.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    If you follow Consumer Reports, you would have expected the rankings. Japanese products are chosen over products from anywhere else regardless of the facts.

Also, it looks like they just went by age with no adjustment for miles ridden. How many high mileage Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes do you see?

Besides, who is more particular and picky with their bikes than BMW and Harley riders?
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Dale Rudolph
    I have owned a number of trucks over the last 25 years that were reliable, easy to work on, and for the most part, trouble free.

In the annual auto edition, they were always listed under "Vehicles to avoid".

Consumers Report is something I glance through at the store, but I won't subscribe to it again.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I'm one of those people who swears at, rather than by, CR. Always have. I can do my own research, thank you.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Rally Rat

RE: Consumer reports

3/4 of the repairs were less than $200. To me, $200 is not a major repair, heck a good set of tires are more than that.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I admit I'm nor a CR reader as a rule, just found that report odd? One gauge I use when reading evaluations anywhere is who buys/has the most advertisements within the publication.

I am skeptical of most evaluations in the mainstream motorcycle mags. As such one of my favorites has been Motorcycle Consumer News. At one time it was said that they [bought] everything they compared/tested . Giving then no palm to grease.

Retired User
    I admit I'm nor a CR reader as a rule, just found that report odd? One gauge I use when reading evaluations anywhere is who buys/has the most advertisements within the publication.
    Consumer Reports does not take advertising.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

I might check CR for things like appliances, but motorcycles? This quote "other factors like sculpted lines and rumbling engines also strike the right note among motorcyclists" shows their rather narrow perception of what many of us look for in a bike.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Yeh, I know the apples & oranges thing but I picked up a CR magazine in a docs office one time & they didn't like any of my favorite ice creams. I'm not real "into" others doing my thinking for me as they seem to make a practice of in spite of all the "research" on their end. They may not take advertising but that's no sure fire way to judge a product either. All hullabaloo aside, that's just flat wrong when it comes to ice cream.In fact, as I recall they tested a bunch of brands that are unobtanium in much of USA too.
    As for a $200 repair being minor, well we know he's not from my generation nor on fixed income. $200 is serious pocket money in my pants pocket. I swear, many these days look at $20 bucks like its one of the quarters that kids throw in the lunch room.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    I might check CR for things like appliances, but motorcycles? This quote "other factors like sculpted lines and rumbling engines also strike the right note among motorcyclists" shows their rather narrow perception of what many of us look for in a bike.
    You're right on the money. Do you ask the neighbor's six year old about what kind of shotgun to buy to go hunt ducks??? CR may have someone that rides a MC but they aren't experts on the subject. The quote above is a good indicator that they didn't know enough about the subject to even ask the right questions for this type of comparison. What I do know is you stand just about the same chance of getting a lemon from any company you pick. Then again, every company has good and bad models. IMO, I would not put much faith in this comparison. Then again, I don't put much faith in MC Mag "shoot outs" either.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

For the bulk of consumers......

For the bulk of consumer goods, I find CR to be a decent source of info. In addition, I don't find the CR article on motorcycles to be wrong. My typical advice to any novice interested in motorcycling is "buy a used Japanese bike and find out what you like". Afterwards, the novice can decide if the cost and hassle of a BMW are worth it.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Also how much of those first 4 years of repairs were covered by warranties. And how that factors in the actual cost of ownership between say BMW and Harley
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I'd postulate there's a lot more "buyer's remorse" among people spending big bucks than there is among those buying the cheap, generic stuff. Motorcycles are toys and there's apparently lots of guilt associated. Sombody could generate a Psychology PhD thesis just observing this and similar forums.

There's also lots of fantasy involved, for example the fantasy of owning a BMW when $200 represents a big repair bill. Heck, the standard maintenance on an F800ST includes a new $434 drive belt every 24K miles.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S