All went extremely well. The tooling worked to perfection! Once the wheel axle was pressed in, I re-assembled the bearing housing to the final drive housing. I took my time and all went well.
I reattached the FD to the bike (using medium strength LocTite where thread locker had been found on disassembly) and then reassembled everything else, torquing as I went. Please refer to the RepROM for more details on the type and location of thread locker. I filled the rear drive with 180cc's of the specified lubricant (see DIY's for details on doing this.) Make certain to lubricate the driveshaft spline to rear-drive assembly, and make certain the rubber boot is installed correctly with the plastic expander inside it. I then re-installed and checked the operation of the rear brake.
I took the bike out for a 10 minutes test ride, and all was good. It was January here in New York so I wouldn't be putting any major miles on the bike until it warms up a little, but I am confident that the new bearing will make a difference and now I donÔÇÖt have to worry about it failing on my next major outing.
Some of the tooling and hardware that I used is available for loan if you are interested. Please contact me and we can discuss shipment, deposit, etc. Everything fits in a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box.
Ulster Park, NY