Thread: Old Stuff by the Side of the Road

Old Stuff by the Side of the Road

Ever been riding through the farmlands and been captivated by the old equipment retired by the fence line or out on the horizon? I got to wondering what stories they might have and did a little photo essay on it. (Since the GSA isn't all that old, its picture didn't make the cut.)

http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogsp...e-of-road.html

What cool old stuff has prompted you to stop for a photo?

Cessna Bird Dog in Canadian Army colours from the early '60's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

FWIW, many of those farmyard machine cemetery's have been melted down by the Chinese to make us more stuff. In the past the steel wasn't worth enough to buy the gasoline to the scrapyard.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    FWIW, many of those farmyard machine cemetery's have been melted down by the Chinese to make us more stuff. In the past the steel wasn't worth enough to buy the gasoline to the scrapyard.
    If they would just take the tires.....

Scrap has always been a good leading indicator of economics. You just have to maintain enough liquid reserves for acquisitions during the down cycle. Then, liquidate your stock before the market peaks.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

How coincidental! I also recently did a blog post on nearly the same subject at: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2013/01/...idden-scenery/
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Nice blog, Chris. Makes me want to get out on the bike even more often. Always makes me wish I were better disciplined about stopping for pictures. You've got some intriguing photos on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxthedog View Post
    Nice blog, Chris. Makes me want to get out on the bike even more often. Always makes me wish I were better disciplined about stopping for pictures. You've got some intriguing photos on yours.
    Thanks for kind words! The ride that day was specifically to take pictures of things that I had noticed winter had "revealed". I'm just lucky I live where I don't need to winterize the motorcycle even if it's hit or miss in the winter.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Yes, Jax, I do get a kick out of some of the old machines, etc.
    And the old cars or trucks.
    If anybody wants to see more of that, visit the California Antique Farm Equipment show in April in Tulare, Tulare county, California.
    You will see a huge parade of old farm equipment, all running, all in various states of maintenance, and almost all from the farms around the state. The old stuff, still in operation.
    dc

What's with the landing gear on that Cessna?
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606