Thread: Tires for a 2011 R1200GS

Tires for a 2011 R1200GS

It's time to replace the tires on my R1200GS and looking for some input. The bike came with Metzeler Tourance's. I have not complaints with these tires but there are many options and opinions out there, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Well a good time to be confused, Pirelli is replacing the Tourance with the Tourance Next, Michelin just released the Anakee 3, Continental is updating their trail attack, If you rarely do dirt there is the Tourance EXP, etc.

Lots of choices and like oil threads, lots of opinions.

I do mainly back twisty road, at a spirited pace ( no chicken strips) and I was going with the trail attacks, until I saw the Anakee 3, so I have a new set in the barn, waiting for spring. I liked the sales propaganda on them, and liked the Anakee 2, so I hope the 3 is an improvement, as the company would never make them worse.................I hope.
    Last edited by pffog; 02-01-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Nistech View Post
    It's time to replace the tires on my R1200GS and looking for some input. The bike came with Metzeler Tourance's. I have not complaints with these tires but there are many options and opinions out there, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
    It might help if you provided some info on what sort of riding you do...
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Hammam
    I liked the Tourance on my 2009 GS (classic model, not EXP) but my preference was finally for Dunlop TR91. That is for 85% road-15 % trail or so. It has very good grip, wet and dry, and lasts quite a bit more than the EXP, for instance. YMMV, of course. I guess you are going to get as many different tires as answers.

Primarily asphalt and 50% of the time 2-up. I take a couple runs from Minnesota to Dallas every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nistech View Post
    Primarily asphalt and 50% of the time 2-up. I take a couple runs from Minnesota to Dallas every year.
    If mostly road, a set of Mich Pilot Road 3's are pretty sweet. They have the 19 for the front available. It gets a bit interesting in mud however

I also just got a set of Anakee 2's and a set of the new 3's, which look more street than the 2's. I am interested in the new 3's performance and will put them on soon.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

P3 for me

I switched from Continentals to Michelin Pilots (2s and then 3s) for the last two sets of tires, or about 12,000 miles. I think the Michelins were a great improvement, especially in the rain. They don't try to follow pavement grooves. I don't ride off-road, so can't say how they are in mud or sand.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

Polar Opposite
    I can tell you the Karoos that came on my 2011 GSA lasted less than 3000 miles.

Mind is not for rent
    PR3 Trail up front, standard PR3 out back. Smooth, quiet ride, excellent performance in fast corners and in the rain. I'll probably get close to 10,000 miles out of the front, I doubt the rear will make it past 5,000.

Just put a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails on my 2011 GS. Leaving for a 7500 mile trip out west and will have a report later. They feel awesome and super quiet on the road.
    Tim2

I have the Anakee 3's on my GS and like them more than the original Tourances. I read that the Anakees's are a bit better than the Tourance's in the dirt and I wanted that option. But other than dirt roads I'm a pavement rider so I can't comment on off-road performance.

Check out the Adventure Rider forum if you want tire info for the GS......there's a zillion GS tire threads on there!
    Dover, NH

2014 BMW R1200GS Racing Red

I have the Mich Pilot Road 3's. Love them, 99% road, 75% 2up riding, 6000 miles on them and they still look good. awesome in the rain also..