Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1974 r90/6 resurrection.

Rally Rat
    mine has a blue lufty plate in it.

20130202_170702.jpg

The plugs were basically the same as the Vetter...since the Lufty was a "direct" ripoff:
    Just to be clear... Butler&Smith obtained and modified a Windjammer and manufactured them without Vetter Fairing Company's authorization.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Rally Rat
    got the carbs off today.

eeeeeeeew. how did this thing run like that?
    20130203_141456.jpg

and inside the float bowl...

20130203_142157.jpg

Luckily, in my stash, I had a set of flat-top bings of decent condition. covered in muck on the outside, but surgically clean on the inside...

Resurrection, me too.

i am glad you are calling this a resurrection and not a restoration. I have a 1974 R90/6 too, she had spent some tough years outside near the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in southeast Washington State, lots of weird "weathering". SO I am very much cleaning her up but not going the straight to the factory route. The '74's had those black switch gears which I think are really cool, they are also VERY simple. Just clean them up and make sure all the connections are solid.
    What are your plans or ideas on this machine? Mine is going to be a rider for around town and short trips because i have a 1977 R100 that I like to run on longer distances. My '74 will get lots of hand-me-down parts. I look forward to hearing what you have in mind, which will also help the fourm help you! And now that you have a lift, wow, that is great is will be so much easier to work on. I built a bench but have to use a ramp to get the bike on it, takes two people. But right now the engine is out for some repairs like a new cam shaft because the nut before me over tightened the advance and broke the end off the cam! Geez.
    Kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

1974 r90/6 resurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    got the carbs off today.

eeeeeeeew. how did this thing run like that?
    20130203_141456.jpg

and inside the float bowl...

20130203_142157.jpg

Luckily, in my stash, I had a set of flat-top bings of decent condition. covered in muck on the outside, but surgically clean on the inside...

Mine are getting rebuilt this winter and look a lot worse but she was running really nice when I tore her apart.

Pretty amazing bikes.

Rally Rat
    GRRRR.

stupid PO.

took off the fork brace to put on a 4 hole fender instead of a 6 hole. No wonder this thing handles like crap.

and put some mutant,screwed up, japanese hodge-podge on for braking. And when I took it off to clean it, it was the only thing holding the throttle assembly in one piece. Luckily for me, I -had- a throttle assembly.

swapped out the throttle assembly, and installed a new brake light switch... now I have brake lights.

now all I have to do is track down a master cylinder. I've got one, but it's for a much later bike. it fits, and if desperate, I might use it.

forks are gonna require a complete rebuild, and I"m going to have to scare up a fender brace somewhere.

The other weird thing is only one fork leg has a keeper screw. the other one looks suspiciously like someone welded it shut. so... I might be looking for a new fork tube.... dammit.

And yes, pix forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    OK, here's some interesting bits...

Attachment 37511

I can't tell if it's an arabic data plate, or just a plate with arabic on it that they used to secure the plug.. thoughts?

Also, what are those really thick shims at the bottoms of the cylinders for, lowering compression? my r90s motor doesn't have em.

Attachment 37512
    I am wondering if this is Arabic or some other eastern mystique,i spent a little time in the middle east and it does not strike me as regular style arabic.That said i do have a professor of arabic studies living on the same street,i will consult with him over tea and atoke on hookah and then get back to you.
    The reason i am poking around in this thread is because i have just acquired a 74 R90/6 that is good to go (its red).