Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013GSA Last of its kind!

2013GSA Last of its kind!

The GSAs are still sold as 2013 CamHeads, until the new GSA(water cooled) gets here around 2014. The new GS1200(standard) water buffalo is almost here, very soon now. LOTS of changes we all read about by now. We're thinking of buying another GSA1200,2013 before they stop production later this year probably. Our family biggest topic has been the mpg's and even the newest 1200 water cooled has not improved on this according to BMW Literature. HP jumped a ton to 128! That is not even a consideration of selling the new bike to us, as HP has been a non issue a while now. BMW is a runaway train in this regard, beat the Japanese,English,Austrians,etc??? As a very long time GS guy, I've been selling my younger family on what Ive done all these years and the right bikes to buy! One has settled on the GSA currently available2013. We shop very soon and probably buy another. My "beef" with BMW is still the mpg's for a 1200GSA to improve and its a thorn in my side. When you try to "sell" the GSA idea and get around to the mileage conversation, you can almost hear the gears turning "why"? Its getting to be old and as a life long guy at this with BMW, you'd think somebody would listen up! Still the most fun, best bike ever bought for whatever I do(my GSA1200'07). My gasoline bills will always be bigger apparently. Randy PS; I do indeed look at the smaller GS lineup these days, more and more for two reasons; My age and the mpg's. The GSA gets bigger every year and I let it fall on me the other day! Still got her up, but not much more of that left in me. Heavy!!!

Look at a GSA head-on and you will see why it gets relatively poor mileage compared, say, to a RT with the same engine. The GSA aerodynamics absolutely suck. Big square cases dragging in the wind don't help either.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Another factor lowering the GS (and R?) gas mileage is a lower final drive ratio compared to the RT.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Get an F800GS and never look back
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

+1 on the F8GS. Never less than 50 mpg, best of 71 mpg. Typical is mid to upper 50's, with lower 60's when touring.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Look at a GSA head-on and you will see why it gets relatively poor mileage compared, say, to a RT with the same engine. The GSA aerodynamics absolutely suck. Big square cases dragging in the wind don't help either.
    Depends on what is sitting on the bike too. I never get the mileage some get with the RT. The best I have done is 51, but that was an anomaly. usually it's 38-40 in the winter and 42-44 in the summer.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    But if you drop a big ugly GSA it doesn't change a thing. The bike simply can't get any uglier. Drop an RT and the gouge$ in tho$e beautiful aerodynamic part$ bring tear$ to your eye$.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    But if you drop a big ugly GSA it doesn't change a thing. The bike simply can't get any uglier. Drop an RT and the gouge$ in tho$e beautiful aerodynamic part$ bring tear$ to your eye$.
    Drop the GSA and you'll cry trying to right it.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    It's not that bad. Try an 800+lb cruiser.
    My Motorrad

There's pretty much nothing about an 800 lb cruiser that I want to try.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB

There's pretty much nothing about an 800 lb cruiser that I want to try.
    I came from a 818lb cruiser to a RT, which feels like a minibike in comparison.
    My Motorrad

800:)

The 800GS, new one is winning the arguement here this day in our family! I had a K1200LT alongside my GSs in recent years. Its 800+lbs. vs. 600lbs for the GSA. The GSA is indeed a flying brick in the air, vs. the smooth LTs, Rts and so on. The weight differential is huge though and even the pig KLT at its weight, was the BEST mpgs of any BMW owned here, frequenting 50+ mpgs. You'd think the lighterGSA would do a tad better? Nope! Anyhow, went, test rode three BMWs yesterday; The 700, 800 and new 1200GSA, all GSs and the 800GS has won the arguement for one kid, the other(Daughter) picks the 700GS. Me, im not buying another quite yet. My current GSA1200 keeps me going a while yet. The new 800in the family may enlighten me. Last gripe! Even BMW cars now are approaching 40mpg's, so the arguement for BMW bikes is poor, regarding gas mpg's on their part and 1200GSAs...Give mea diesel GSALOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The weight differential is huge though and even the pig KLT at its weight, was the BEST mpgs of any BMW owned here, frequenting 50+ mpgs. You'd think the lighterGSA would do a tad better?.
    It makes sense to me that the LT gets better mileage. The LT fairing and bags have a much more slippery shape compared to the bags and windshield of a GSA.
    The COD of a GSA is about the same as a barn door.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I never really had any trouble picking it back up...
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Me neither:)

I still pick my GSA1200 up from many falls, as its an offorad used bike in this family. It does, however get a tad tougher at 61 years old now! My KLT comment was one of weight comparison mostly, not the slip stream thing. They never compare their indeed. 800+ vs 600LBS is a significant difference though and the weight alone is real apparent, NO big deal in weight/mpg management. Its all gearing and fairing. I just ran a mountain run on the GSA, average speed was 47mph for 100 miles, the mpg hit 44.5 on BC. I LIKE the 40mpg and up thing on this bike. Its rare. Randy