Thread: Stebel Horn Install 2006 R1200GS

Stebel Horn Install 2006 R1200GS

Anyone done a Stebel horn install on a GS?

IMHO, the OEM horn is weak and I have come to really appreciate the powerful Stebel horn (Compact Nautilus??) that I have on my ST1300. I'd love to hear how and where others have installed these horns on their GS's. Even though space was super tight on the ST, someone found a very elegant spot to tuck one away. Since the Stebel draws a lot of power, the OEM circuitry could only suffice as a trigger for a relay that powered it. I presume the GS would work the same way.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
    Last edited by deilenberger; 01-30-2013 at 03:41 AM. Reason: added year/model to title
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Cool

Did one on my 2011 1200gs, bought the kit from excelcyclewerks, complete with good directions
    Mine had the split horn/compressor. Only difficulty was installing mounting bracket, little room with large hands

here is Excel's page for the Horn kit

http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page732.htm

I did my own it was not to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
    here is Excel's page for the Horn kit

http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page732.htm

I did my own it was not to hard.
    Excel Cycle works no longer doing business. Apparently their relationship with Micatech has ended as well.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

That is to bad, I talked to the guy that was previous owner of Excel at the MOA rally last year and he had some very neat stuff.

Wish I had seen this about 2 this afternoon as I was on the phone with Micatech, I will probably call them tomorrow and order a Pack Rack so I will ask them

Quote Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
    That is to bad, I talked to the guy that was previous owner of Excel at the MOA rally last year and he had some very neat stuff.

Wish I had seen this about 2 this afternoon as I was on the phone with Micatech, I will probably call them tomorrow and order a Pack Rack so I will ask them
    I spoke with Bob at Micatech this afternoon. Told me that they no longer represent the Excel stuff...but has a bit of inventory remaining. I'm trying to get one of the Stebel mounting brackets from them, which he said works well.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Oh ok, they had great looking curise control that was pretty slick but it does not appear on the site.

thanks for the info.

Bob,

Ditto on my message in your other thread: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - I've added the info. As you might imagine a horn install on a GS might be completely different from one on an RT (or R or ST).. and putting the year/model in the title might draw some useful eyes into the thread.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche