Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

A giants help

I plan to head out to OR to help the giants get the experience I've had at past GSG events. Don't know if I'll have a bike yet, waiting to see what happens at work. If anyone has extra room on their trailer for a GSA I would put one of my bikes on it so than ill have my bike. I plan on leaving my bike out there After the rally so ill have a bike out west, I don't mind sharing the bike I put out there with fellow giants.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Glad you're planning the cross USA. I thought you rode GSA1200 like mine? You get another older one? Either way, welcome to Hayfork. I'll be happy having your caliber rider along. Of course all are welcome. I may even get the opportunity to ride the week before this and maybe even MEET some of my friends coming from East somewhere out there. Its open, not sure! I AM doing something similar to last year??? I have another injury and my NECK was fractured last year and I made it to Arkansas, got surgery when I got home from that 5000m loop. ALL is fine in neck today, no issues. This year, its my right shoulder rotator cuff torn and I go into surgery next week, the 23rd May!!! BOY, Ive been a mess this past two years. I FULLY intend to ride the GSA as soon as I can sit the saddle without drugs. I heal fast. I took a fall and fraactured my right knee and right shoulder about 5 months ago at home ranch, ouch. KNEE has healed, all good. The shoulder has no such luck. DONT count me down, AS I WILL be there in Hayfork or out on the road earlier meeting you folks. Man, I'm a riding fool, still loving it. There are three other GS Camps, I think same day at different compass points from rally, so keep them in mind if Hayfork becomes problem for ya getting here. WANT ya in Hayfork, try hard and you know my riding style Matt, FUN FUN! Ya'll take notice out there!!!!! My friend Matt rides from N.Hamshire to share in this, get it.....I better see a dozen or more California GS/GSAers show, lol....Randy

Hey Randy, I am all signed up for the Rally.. Hope you feel better soon. See ya Soon!

Yep:):):)

Thanks Matt. I am not one to sit healing long! I am one week out of the shoulder surgery and am using arm at about 75%. Probably roll bike out again within a week or so, cant wait. Still wearing stitches, but healing nice. I have given much thought of riding EAST to meet some of my crossing USA friends, but not in concrete yet. Just getting anxious to ride again, as year round California has us on the bikes so much more than many states. Its my first vehicle of choice here. IF ya find yourself with extra time getting here early, always welcome here at the ranch as I prepare mine for touring. Actually my bike is all ready, most always is. Happy trails, Randy. HAYFORK, HeeHaw! Kinda sounds like that kind a town, don't it? A name that would fit into many of my Dixieland States roots. DONT forget "BIGFOOT", this area(NCal) IS a HOT SPOT for this activity.

Randy

Just saw this thread, I'll be at Hayfork or whatever. I can meet you earlier ill be on the 800 this year.

Hey JOE:)

Nice hearing from ya, thought I had lost ya. Never got to see you last year, as I was in Arkansas and Mo. at rally. I was lame last year too, with neck injury but still made trek East on GSA1200. Still on same bike, nearing 100000m. mark. This year, I heal up from very recent shoulder reconstruct and ride again off road more again. Are you Chicago or West again? I WILL be back on bike in a week or so here. Ive been pushing HAYFORK,CA. meet up, camp for the night, July14. Its a turkey shoot from there, GS/GSAs heading North as riders wish to route their own per GSGiant playbook and so on... We can join up indeed for the Hayfork camp and talk it up. PLEASE find us, glad to see ya again. My wife rides her KLR650 alongside me this year and has not been on longer road trip since Gillette Rally a few years back. She is great street keeper upper, less trained off roader in her. I try her patience, getting her off road more. . I have 4 GSers in my group from home this year. A NEW F800GS and a NEW F700GS my kids ride. Well 3, I count KLR,lol. Its a cool bike, I like KLRs too. Randy

West

Randy, hope you will be good. Sounds like your wife will be making sure you stay in one piece. I'm ready for anything I'll be in Reno. Let me know what the plan is and if anyone wants to ride dirt let me know. I'll be on the 800 this year. The GSA is still back east it's only got 75000 on it. Anyway I'm on the road tomorrow so I'll try your private email to figure things out. If anyone wants to meet up and fallow the dirt roads let me know.

Yep:)

Y'all listen to this guy, Joe Hutt! A great off roader, in my book and good partner on the trail. Riding Nevada and Oregon, we had a great time as we rode to Redmond. Will do it again. I'm surprised you riding F800GS, as you got sore, missing the GSA1200 I remember. Hope you made it more comfy, a seat maybe? IF you are a intermediate or expert on the trail, find Joe H., he'll be equal to the challenge, I figure. As July gets closer, I MAY well go early out of my home to ride solo and fast, dirt and whatever I fancy. I await to hear from those I've known and new aquaintances to concrete my plans and departure. Wife catches up later, with kids on their GSs, if need be. Options. July14 Hayfork, CA. is still with me... Randy

Randy

Randy,
    It was great talking with you to day.. Here are a couple of rts I was thinking of taken.. There are tons of good looking roads to detour off the main rds

View Larger Map
    This is the quickest way to Hayfork it is all boring hiway, but I could get to where the good dirt is in UT, NV on the way to No Cal.. Talk to you soon..Just thought I would pass this along so maybe we can meet up and hit some fun dirt!

View Larger Map
    Ok some how the maps are not saving correctly I must of did something wrong the routes keep diverting back to the Main roads.. Anyone know why google maps keeps doing this?
    Last edited by mmahmet; 06-06-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Anyone know why google maps keeps doing this?[/QUOTE]

If your making a custom map you have to click on the last pin (marker) to finish your custom map. That should not change the map you have made.

I might ride out if I get enough time off work. Won't be riding back though, leaving my bike out west for a while.

Joe ill be looking for you if I have my bike and will do some great riding.

If I could even make a *dent* in understanding wtf Google Maps does, I'd be a happy man.

What a powerful program. What a crappy interface.

Gonna be a BIG time

There are 61 hopeless souls already signed up to ride in The GS Giant this year... as evidenced by clicking the "I want to ride The GS Giant" button as they registered for the rally.

And I know of many more who will be riding but have not registered yet.

And if past events hold true... this number will double when folks at the rally want to ride the Adventure Track.

so......

WE NEED SOME VOLUNTEERS.

- Data wranglers - copy photos from riders

- Scorekeeping assistant... please, please, please, please, please!!!

- Track managers, baby sit the big dogs, and help them pick up their bikes.

- DAY RIDE LEADER.... please, please, please, please, please!!! (to the swimming hole at Opal Creek... please see the photos above.

- WOMEN-ONLY RIDE LEADERS ... we had one, but she had to cancel for business reasons. This is a great experience, please help out!

- A "ride leader" for Idaho and Washington. This is an informal position, just someone who can help orient folks and point them toward the rally from the GS Gypsy Tour's start locations. Polar Bear is doing this in California, and SA Mike is getting his arm twisted to do it in Nevada.

A big part of the experience, and a key reason for the GS Giants club is volunteerism. You meet people, make friends, and make it possible for events to not cost so much.

Please consider volunteering to help put on this event. PM me here, or send me an e-mail.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

The Trinity Alps...

... just sayin'

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Thx Matt, Ian and all others stepping up. I have a Firefighter GS800 guy that works the CAL FIRE HAYFORK Station, knows this area too well and every rock and mudhole about that area. You show up and the data from there will be massive, scramble the brain teases for GS folks to ride. Bigfoot lives there too. Another most recent find for me about Hayfork, "known" but hidden a lot from public IS!!!! Marijuana/POT fields are hidden everywhere around there, as its a grow capital for the WEST around there. On GS/GSAs we have a tendency to find the backwoods byways to the ultimate advantage of our bikes. FINDING yourself in one of these POT farms would be a GREAT idea to move on quickly, DO NOT disturb! Your choice to ride safe and respect the "law and growers" of whatever you find, may save you a LOT of grief. DON'T worry too much as we are peaceful, fun loving GS folk and the NCal region has so much fun to offer. The above tip will come into need for a few, no doubt, so be safe where you tread. We're searching BIGFOOT and not so much the WEEDs. I'm looking very much forward to seeing y'all in HAYFORK July14th, try out my NEW Redverz Tent experience for me. My recent new Heidenau's too are getting their workout, but by the time I get there, half worn out at least. If anybody links with Joe Hutt and rides like the wind off road, he's the man. He and I will likely link up later this month and share some details for the fast track, expert minded GS'ers. Just bring your GRIT, hehe. Randy

salem GSGiant Question/Rally Map?

IS that "red area", GSGiants the camp for GS Folks to share??? Know we've been doing this at all recent rallies. The Rally Map shows this, BUT is it the camp area too for GSGiants? I figure it probably is, but asking? Later, Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    IS that "red area", GSGiants the camp for GS Folks to share??? Know we've been doing this at all recent rallies. The Rally Map shows this, BUT is it the camp area too for GSGiants? I figure it probably is, but asking? Later, Randy
    Yes... that red area on the map is the camping area. We'll also have a party tent.

The track is actually inside the arena immediately adjoining. And there are lights inside the arena....