Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

Great to see you here, Steve

Mr. Miller is helping The GS Giant find the good stuff in Oregon. This feller's been around!
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

This happens too:)

We are riding the high desert Oregon, near Ft.Rock, where volcanic pumice byways make for interesting wiggles, even on an experts F800GS. Joe Hutt, my pal seemed to lose it here but had help from a 4X4 going the opposite direction not giving way. Joe got in the loose, real loose stuff. All was well, just a moment of pause and reflection. Me and my GSA1200 following had better results, managing to stay afoot, barely! Its sure fun riding Oregon where the folks are less seen and adventure prevails. Randy"Polarbear"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another;

Riding N.Nevada, where the expanses are so wide, you can get the feeling of being far from reality. Thank goodness for GS/GSAs to be able to find these less than 1 person in hundreds/thousands of square miles locales. We are on GSA'071200 and F800GS unknown year. Near Oregon,CA., Nevada corner. "Burning Man" in Gerlach,NV is just South of us here. Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Btw;

These part 2 shots were en route to the Redmond Rally a few years ago. Joe rides that F800 like the wind, fast. I barely keep up, but he waits graciously, as my fully loaded GSA1200 is a pig compared to the F800GS loaded also. The last photo is a typical 75-80mph dirt byway and hoping a LOT you don't come upon loose gravel or sand at that speed. I got into one near tank slapper on this road at 65mph and nearly ate it in the loose, not seen. Oooops. Thanks Joe Hutt, if you're looking here. I enjoyed the company of a great rider. Randy

News about the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour

Several things will be different this year, compares to years past.

First, this will be do it yourself GS Gypsy Tours. That is, bring your own food and drink and show up at one of several meet-up points on your way to the rally.

Second is that there is more than one tour.... in fact you have 5 options!

Here's the basic plan:

1) If you are riding in from outside Oregon and want to meetup with people along the way, look at the first map below. You can meet up at any of these locations and ride to the rally with some new friends.

2) If you can get to Oregon early, the BMW Riders of Oregon are planning a two-day ride, July 16 & 17.

More details will be coming shortly, but for now:

Option 1: Four different ride starting points:

• The Trinity Alps area in Northern California
    • Northwestern Idaho at the west end of Lolo Pass
    • A handy spot in northern Nevada
    • Another handy spot in Washington

Please note the different starting dates! This is due to the lengths of the rides.

Option 2: An overnighter from Salem

Now, if you can get to the Salem area by July 16, another option is a 2-day ride through the Cascades, let by very talented people in the BMW Riders of Oregon club.

This ride starts and ends at the Rally site, with an overnight at The Elk Lake Resort.

Stay tuned for more details on the where's, when's, how's and routes!

Hey Ian

Deb and I are going to the rally and would love to help with GS giant. We had a blast in Utah last year, and I'm handling the big pig a little better. Off pavement all winter.

PM at HD Steve on AdvRider. If any of the giants are coming through Eastern Washington we have room and tools.
    2004 R1150RT

Steens Mountain Adventure Detour

If you scroll up a few posts, take a look at that orange line, one of the 4 GS Gypsy Tour route options.

Steens Mountain is in the southeast corner of Oregon, and it's the better part of a day's ride from the orange dot at the beginning of a ride, which happens to be a very nice camping spot in a wilderness area in Nevada.

A great day's ride would start from the dot, ride north, getcha a world-famous hamburger and milkshake for lunch at a to-be-named GS BS location, then ride up Steens Mountain and findya a good camping spot for the night.

Be sure to take some pictures and post them on The GS Giant's Facebook page....

Last edited by Visian; 03-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.

I'll also be attending the rally, getting there early to help "Coach" where I can. Won't be able to do the meet-up's as I plan to be in Salem on Saturday.

But several of those routes look like fun either during or more likely after the rally . . .

SoCal to the Rally with the Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    We are planning a starting location at a very nice place in Northern California. Stay tuned for more info in the BMW Owners News, here on the forum, and on Facebook at The GS Giant event page and the GS Giants Group.

Ian
    Count us in on that ride. ken and tammny decroo

Quote Originally Posted by 178241 View Post
    Count us in on that ride. ken and tammny decroo

Hey, be sure to share the www.GSGiant.com link with your local club. If you're into Facebook, be sure to Like the GS Giant. And The GS Giants club would also be honored to have you two within our ranks.

Here's a proposed ride from the Trinity Alps area up into Oregon...

How about a GS Day ride to a swimming hole?

The Opal Creek Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area looks pretty sweet.

Who will be brave enough to go country boy?

Have some GS BS points with your dinner

Your receipt for a 2.5 pound perfectly-cooked steak in the middle of nowhere, Oregon will net you a significant cache of GS BS points.

5 extra points for posting a photo here on the forum or on Facebook.

- you'll find out where when you get your scorebook. Be sure to click on The GS Giant button when you register for the rally!

Last edited by Visian; 04-22-2013 at 08:21 PM.

What are you doing for lunch...

... on July 15th?

There's a lunch meeting here, at Hat Point, Hells Canyon. You bring the lunch... and mucho GS BS points for pics of you and your bike with the Seven Devils in the background.

There is also excellent camping nearby. Stay here and you'll still have time to make the party in the GS Giants camping area at the rally on Wednesday night.

Need to Know....

So I love my GS, love to ride it on twisty roads, not so twisty roads, city traffic (really love to lane share with it)....but off roading is a bit more iffy. Rode on a really gravelly dirt road last weekend and about sh*t my pants. Now I was told by a secret source that you guys might have some beginner training at/around the rally and I am looking for more info on this. I am committee chair, so I have to plan my time wisely and was hoping for something mebbe before Thursday......

Britta
    Vegas, Baby

Skid marks...

Britta - The GS Giant event is all about helping you get started.

There are some free seminars going to be offered by Coach Stroud, but they are on Thursday and Saturday. These are only two hours long (part class, part track) and would really be worth your time.

I know of at least on advanced course for fee being offered, but that is probably more than you want.

There are also going to be some times when the Adventure Track will be open for practice, some on Thursday and Friday, a lot on Saturday... and possibly some night riding.

A schedule of events is in the works, stay tuned here in the coming weeks.

Another idea is to try riding a smaller, lighter bike to get a feel for less than 100% traction. There will be rentals available, as Oregon Dual Sport Rentals and Adventures will be onsite with their fleet. Once you get your dirt legs on one of these bikes, you'll be a lot more comfortable on gravel roads.

Ian