Thread: The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

Hybrid View

The GS Giant vs. Bigfoot... who's bigger?

It is ON in OR!

The year: 2013 The date: July 14-20. The location: all over the Pacific Northwest, with the final destination at the BMW MOA rally in Salem, OR. It is open to all riders on all brands of bike, and all skill levels. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A BIG DOG TO HAVE A BIG TIME. This event is fun, it is an excellent opportunity to learn, and a great way to make new friends.

In 2012, a bunch of folks had a very big time in Arkansas and Missouri. For 2013, we're going to find out who's the biggest ground pounder out west and if you're not familiar with the fun we have, please enjoy this video.

"Who's the GS Giant?" you ask? We'll all find out together at the 2013 BMW MOA International Rally in Salem, Oregon.

"What's a GS Giant?" The Giant is the winner of an adventure event that starts this spring and continues through the rally in July.

To win the GS Giant Adventure Event, you must be:

1. A good navigator that rides off the beaten path to the rally.
    2. A good storyteller with photo and/or video skills being part of the picture.
    3. An adventuresome ride through the wilds of the Pacific Northwest.
    4. A decent rider on the track, someone who doesn't put their feet down.

However, it's important to know that most people ride it just for fun. You don't have to compete to have a great time.

Volunteers needed

Of course, none of this happens without volunteers, and volunteering is a big part of the fun.

Scorekeepers - good with a spreadsheet, and a good nose for BS (the Queen is iffy for Oregon)
    Data Wranglers - collect ridersÔÇÖ pics, vids and proof points. You'll need a laptop, we have the hard drive
    Event hosts - local expert who can show visitors a great time.
    Ride leaders - sweeps, too... riders who can help others with less experience
    Route planners - know the good local riding? Got GPS?
    GS BS Geeks - know all the bizarre POIs?
    Track setup and management - good with hand tools and picking up bikes?
    Competition judges - you need a good eye, and a hydration pack.
    Seminars - are you interested in giving one at either rally?

Many volunteers come from the ranks of the GS Giants, a virtual club that formed at previous events and is growing like a, well, Giant!

More information coming here, so subscribe to this thread!.
    Last edited by Visian; 05-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Bigfoot, they exist:).

Well, I think so anyways, never had a close encounter! A Bigfoot would likely ride a GSA like a Trials bike, size comparison, tossing it about like a toy. SO, if you're a real adventurous person, camping in the NW has some bennies. Finding Bigfoot is one you may wish to avoid OR stumble into if lucky and have a video/camera real ready to shoot! The NW has a zillion tales of the critter in the wilderness and the GSA is the right choice to find'em. Camp off the beaten path, so to speak and you too could ADD to the Bigfoot legend. They say you SMELL'em first. I think somebody shows up in Salem with a real photo of GSA and Bigfoot very nearby, they're my hero. Go explore. I sure hope to see most my (GSGiants)friends there, still aboard my GSA1200'07, going strong. Best to all ya, Randy"Polarbear" PS; That "smelling comment" above has been tossed around about US too. GSA folks seem to get dirty, so maybe just maybe we're a match for Bigfoot. LOL.

off the wall but...

bear with me (no puns intended!)

I once ran a character on a Star Wars RPG that was a Wookie cop who rode a MC. The bike was inspired by the twin Wankel Norton of the late 80s. Imagining a Sasquatch riding a GSA at the GS Giant events brought back a smile. Thanks, guys.

I really hope to have a conflict free schedule to be able to make the National this year and see how the 1150 GS does on LONG days and FINALLY get to a National.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    I really hope to have a conflict free schedule to be able to make the National this year and see how the 1150 GS does on LONG days and FINALLY get to a National.
    If you do, post here.... there are some very good Adventure Detours to share with you....

Longer GS Days:)

The longer the day, the sweeter it gets on a GSA. Enjoy your 1150GS from Nebraska to Oregon. Its a very good ride aboard a very good bike. Couldn't get better. You've bike shopped wise...I've been crosing the USA quite frequently on my current GSA1200 and those GSs before and its been very friendly to me....Randy

A bit early, but...

If I'm around I'd be available to help out. Waiting on my National Guard paperwork to go through, might be off training somewhere when the rally comes round. If not, find me a spot on a course or a ride out.

Thumbs up Grand Mesa

Ian, rode that route Sept 2011 during the Thunder Mountain Rally.

1-P1000974.jpg

Randy, I'm planning on departing the Friday before the rally from Colo Springs. Will probably head due West retracing my return route from Redmond along US 50 (Loneliest Highway) to Reno / Tahoe area. Stayed at the A frames at the Lake Tahoe Coast Guard station last time and might see if I can get in there again. Maybe if the stars align we can hook up and ride up to Salem.

Don

Hey Don - glad to hear you're coming... it will be great to see you again.

As you cruise US 50, you might consider this Adventure Detour... The Grand Mesa Byway. This route was pointed out to me by Steve Farson, author of The Complete Guide to Motorcycling in Colorado.

If this is out of your way, I assume you know about CO92, the road that goes along the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Just TOO much fun:)

YES, that Gunnison Black Canyon is a favorite of dozens of beemerphiles and I rode it just last year going into PaoniaCO. Its a real twisty climber into the higher elevations around there. Imagine, you start at Gunnison at 7500'. Typical Colorado. Most of its playgrounds are above a mile high and even two miles high+. THOSE offroading parks in Oregon near the coast are mostly very sandy, deep sandy in many cases, so be in shape, wear knobbies and work a lot. For the less timid GSer , this is heaven. MY HALIBUT SPOT? Coast HWY101, more S.Oregon! I'll have to look it up again, get the data for ya. "The Mad Scandinavian", a huge tip! YES DON, look for ya, we will be in touch. Randy

Randy, I'm departing Colo Springs on the afternoon of Thurs 11 July. In order to make up time and be in Hayfork I'm planning on slabbing it til I get to NV / CA border then grabbing 70/89.

Figure I'll get as far as Grand Junction the first nite and then some place on I 80 on Friday, and a campground in the CA mtns on Sat.

Don

We too:)

Gini and I leave on Saturday for camping somewhere Saturday night en route to HAYFORK. Unknown where we end up, but only two choices are interesting. Coastal route or Sierra Nevada Mtns.. Maybe we can stay in touch as you travel West and we will camp Saturday night somewhere and ride into Hayfork together. We are only 360 miles(from home) to Hayfork, so our pace is not a tough one. I would like a mid day arrival in Hayfork, as I am kind a "hosting" the location and getting there a tad earlier than most would be cool. Lets do something Saturday night. That 70/89 route is awesome, know it well. We never go direct miles anywhere, so lets hook up. Later, Randy 559-288-2555c. Its out there now, I don't mind calls related to this. Randy