Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Tires for airheads?

Airhead tires

Not to highjack this thread but - got a newbie question and my Shop Manual is at home. I bought a 77 R100s from my cousin in Detroit, it has 11K on the clock and been in storage in his garage for 25(?) years. Paint is in excellent condition and engine turns freely, tank is relatively clean, but carbs are gummed up. Will have to see when I receive the bike and get it running what condition the engine seals are in. I'm in the process of acquiring the parts I know I will need (fluids, air cleaner, battery, carb rebuild kits, caliper kits, etc) including tires - so here is the two 'duh' questions - in that the 77 R100s has spoked wheels I assume it requires tubes, correct? Also, assuming it does, I also assume there isn't a problems inserting tubes in a tubeless tire such as the Activs? From my research and info in this thread (and others) in process of ordering Michelin Activs (3.25 x 19 and 4.00 x 18) and would like to know if I should order the tubes along with them. Thanks - many, many more questions to follow when I get the bike out here. Thanks -

Yes....and then No. Order tubes! Be sure and get the ones with the metal stem...should be the default.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Any feedback on Metzeler Lasertecs?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Steve -

I had no complaints with them...ran at least one maybe two up front on my /7. Are they still available? It's been a while since I used them.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I sure think that's what I put on the bike I'm not walking out there one more time to check tonight!

I thought these airheads required the German tires & tubes

I buy tires from 3 diff vendors so I don't recall where I got them. I've not ridden in wet-wet yet, but I have no issues so far.

I just think they look too skinny for what I am used to
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I have to admit!

I have to admit.

This thread has been one of the most instructive of all that I have read.

I am not planning to buy tires soon, but probably will in the spring a year from now. I have copied and pasted all your ideas and suggestions so that I can purchase the best tires for me.

This much experience is, what do they say on the commercial?, PRICELESS!!!

Thanks so much!

BattleAxe

I'm currently using the Bridgestone BT-45 Battleaxe front and rear and am very pleased with their performance / longevity. I do need a new rear and considering a different brand just to compare. I would recommend the BT-45 though.
    Jerry
    Bike= 1980 R100RT