Thread: Best Tires for airheads?

Hybrid View

Best Tires for airheads?

I`m searching for a new set of rubber for my 77 R75/7.
    So far I like the Michelin Pilot Active, it is available in the original sizes
    325-19 & 400-18.
    I have also heard good things about the BT-45`s but they only
    come in metric sizes.
    What is everyone else running?

Most if not all of the tire manufacturers have websites where you can find out what size tires are available in what models. Michelins site is

http://www.teammichelin.com/
    2004 R1150RT 145,700 miles
    1991 K100LT 126,700 miles
    1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 379,300 BMW miles

I have Avon Roadriders on my RS. I'm happy with them. I believe they come in inch sizes, altho I have metric on mine.
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Avon Road Riders

in Inch size. Recently I have heard good things about the Michelin Activs from Tom Cutter @Rubber Chicken Racing Garage.

What oil are you running?
    Justin in Somerville, MA

1971 R60/5 @189K
    I have had many, many Metzlers and was happy with them until I tried Michelins. The feel was more responsive, they didn't track metal bridge gratings and I got longer tire life. Michelin - Rears:14-16K, fronts: 11-12K.
    Metzlers - Rears: around 9K, fronts: about the same as the Michelins
    Adirondack Bob

Bridgestone Spitfire

Bridgestone Spitfire tires are awesome. They look good on our machines, have a harder compound in the center for the highway and a softer compound on the sides for the curves... I get consistently around 15 K off a set. On top of that they are very reasonably prices (better than the Michelin Activ). Both great tires though, you will not go wrong with either...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

I sure think that's what I put on the bike I'm not walking out there one more time to check tonight!

I thought these airheads required the German tires & tubes

I buy tires from 3 diff vendors so I don't recall where I got them. I've not ridden in wet-wet yet, but I have no issues so far.

I just think they look too skinny for what I am used to
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Any feedback on Metzeler Lasertecs?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Steve -

I had no complaints with them...ran at least one maybe two up front on my /7. Are they still available? It's been a while since I used them.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Anyone have a report on Continental Conti Go? ('76 90/6 needs new rubber and shoes this winter)
    "You either run... or you rust."
    Tom Petty
    --
    1976 R90/6 - Berchta

Nick Kennedy
    A couple of users, myself included, reported last year about very short life on the Conti Go's....I only got about 2200 miles on the rear as I recall. Very good feeling tire though... Soft, good in the corners. Try the new Michelins, Spitfires or Avon Road Riders, if you need to go any distance.
    Nick Kennedy

Bridgestone Battleaxe

Strap on a pair of these very reasonably priced Bridgestones and get a nice sport/touring (or as we say in Bavaria, RT) experience. Nice compromise between grippy (yes, could be better) and longevity.

Mike McGrath
    '86 R80RT
    "79 FJ40

Quote Originally Posted by txedomoon View Post
    Anyone have a report on Continental Conti Go? ('76 90/6 needs new rubber and shoes this winter)
    I ran the conti-gos for a season on my R75/5 and absolutely hated them! They followed every groove or surface imperfection in the road, very unsettling at speed! Currently running the Michelin Activs and it's like a different bike, I recall they were less expensive as well.

Put another vote up in the Michelin catagory, great tires in the correct size for Airheads.

Airhead tires

Not to highjack this thread but - got a newbie question and my Shop Manual is at home. I bought a 77 R100s from my cousin in Detroit, it has 11K on the clock and been in storage in his garage for 25(?) years. Paint is in excellent condition and engine turns freely, tank is relatively clean, but carbs are gummed up. Will have to see when I receive the bike and get it running what condition the engine seals are in. I'm in the process of acquiring the parts I know I will need (fluids, air cleaner, battery, carb rebuild kits, caliper kits, etc) including tires - so here is the two 'duh' questions - in that the 77 R100s has spoked wheels I assume it requires tubes, correct? Also, assuming it does, I also assume there isn't a problems inserting tubes in a tubeless tire such as the Activs? From my research and info in this thread (and others) in process of ordering Michelin Activs (3.25 x 19 and 4.00 x 18) and would like to know if I should order the tubes along with them. Thanks - many, many more questions to follow when I get the bike out here. Thanks -

Yes....and then No. Order tubes! Be sure and get the ones with the metal stem...should be the default.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!