Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: traveler using the moa anonymous book

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Any tech solution is going to take time and money to implement, and probably won't happen that fast. But bolding or capitalizing fields in the AB that individual members encouraged wouldn't require any tech at all and could be done very quickly. So someone whose offering "in a pinch" support would list c r kk but someone who had camping space but encouraged visitors would list c R KK.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    There was a discussion about this a little while ago, but agree with the comment that you would have to feel it out.

The BMW community is diverse, some will welcome you with open arms,. others are.........shall we say a little up tight, I think more falling in the latter category.

There is a similar list at ADV rider, and to be honest, the community there seems more like the down home, lets go ride , then sit and have a couple beers on the back porch.

Nice map too here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585 probably 1000+ offers
    Thanks for mentioning this list. Our place in WNC is listed there. I'd have listed our back yard in the ATL, but you have to watch out for the dog poop.

And your comments are spot-on, unfortunately.

Another good source is the Couch Surfing site... https://www.couchsurfing.org/

Any old-timers here remember Jeff Brody?

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    There is history there that is not apparent. One member so abused the system that it was thought necessary to include that statement.
    Jeff Brody!

One of the very best ways to use the Anonymous Book is for trip planning.

Call up a member that lives in the area you're planning to visit, especially one with the KK code.

That person will tell you everything you want to know about the area... what roads to ride, restaurants to eat at, the best campsites and motels... and then I practically guarantee they will invite you to their house, offer you dinner, and probably to stay.

We may have a number of uptights these days, but we have tons of very good-hearted friendly people who will go over the top to help you out.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    If we are giving advice for an update to the book a BIG one is a MAP. I live between Rochester and Buffalo, but I am listed under a small town between, that is great if you live here, most know small town names, but someone in need of help from another state would have NO clue. As I look through the book, in my area (30 mile radius) there is a dozen+ small towns listed and many would not even show up on a state map!!!
    One thing that Vince tells me is in the works is a smartphone app that uses your current location to show you who is nearby. That ought to be pretty useful.

Putting maps in the book is a good idea, though... they'd have to be very regional so as to be able to get the required detail to be legible.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    One thing that Vince tells me is in the works is a smartphone app that uses your current location to show you who is nearby. That ought to be pretty useful.

Putting maps in the book is a good idea, though... they'd have to be very regional so as to be able to get the required detail to be legible.
    Minute granularity is not absolutely necessary. I've been getting a lot of tourist info for my ride out west. Some states are like the AB; you have to have Google Maps open to see where a town is located. But others have tiny outlines of the state (the size of a postage stamp) with the region highlighted and a dot showing the relative location of a particular town. That works surprisingly well as a visual filter.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Jeff Brody!
    Wasn't he also blamed for the change from unlimited miles to 36K on the 3 year warranty?

I liked Back Roads and BBQ.

ok, so a question i've not seen answered is:

Is there a way to edit/change your listing codes in the book online?

Thanks,
    Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post

Thanks,
    Ken
    At the time your renewal comes in the mail.

Don
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Wasn't he also blamed for the change from unlimited miles to 36K on the 3 year warranty?

I liked Back Roads and BBQ.
    oh hell, Brody was blamed for a whole lotta things. Back then I was the "younger member" that we're all seeking now, and I thought Brody was cool in a sea of old farts. (Others didn't agree... )

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post

Thanks,
    Ken
    Yes and no. You used to do it from the Home Page, using the Account Management link at the top of the page. But there is a transition underway to a new membership management system, so those functions are not currently available. At least this is my understanding... call HQ for the final answer.

Ian

ohbeemer
    A wonderful "invention", I have asked to park, and made ongoing friendships. A Saturday with a final drive out, one call found the most experienced shadetree BMW mechanic in IL. and he even took me to a hotel. I never met the couple whom I called, but they called in the afternoon, to see if I had found help. What a family we have. I cherish my AB. Ohio

A young friend went cross country a couple years ago on his Triumph Thruxton .
    He posted on a couple of Triumph forums about his trip and was covered by members all but a couple of nights.

I think that if you are polite, think ahead and call you might be surprised by the hospitality of fellow riders.