Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: My Biggest Dumb*** Move

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    143439 bobr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clarkesville, GA
    Posts
    140

    My Biggest Dumb*** Move

    99 R1100RT

    Taking my tupperware off today to perform brake line maintenance and front shock replacement. Have done this once before with no problems. Today I, get this, broke off not one but both (left and right sides) of the fairing tabs at the bottom with the two holes that secure it to the shark fin piece (I think I have named that correctly).

    I've done a lot of dumb things in my life but this has to rank right up there at the top of the list.

    So naturally my first thought is I have to buy some used replacements. Found a left side in good shape (graphite color) on Beemer boneyard and almost clicked the buy button before I got a hold of myself to consider other possible options.

    So, my question is (figure I am not the only one who has ever done this) are there any repair options available and/or what are the ramifications of just using the fairing panels as they are (i.e.- would it flap around in the wind, make noise, etc.?)

    Any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated...Bob

  2. #2
    Registered User roger 04 rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,256
    I think I did the same thing you're describing. I ended up using a hair dryer to take some warp out of the plasticÔÇöwhich is what stressed it in the first place. After reshaping, first i glued it to the support beneath, and then to the main body where the seam is. I used JB Weld and fiberglass cloth to reinforce, in those two spots. There's a line at the repair but very hard to see.

    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...nection-1150RT

  3. #3
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    799
    The bike is 14 years old. Drill a few holes and pull some zip ties through them. Problem solved.

  4. #4
    aapasquale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    130
    Hi Bob,
    sorry to hear about your fiasco--similar fate as of late--it is possible to repair and is not rocket science--will however take a bit of time and effort--I would start by recommending you purchase a book called "How to Repair Plastic Bodywork" by Kurt Lamon available from Whitehorse press for about $20--you won't regret it--very informative, straighforward and clear--there is a section in the book pertaining to exactly the type of repair you have in mind....forming a new piece which you broke off--

    using silly putty you can make a mold which is attached to the body panel and is filled with a two part methacrylic adhesive--when this cures (about 1/2 hour), the mold can be removed easily and the new addition, which remains somewhat flexible like the body panel, can be shaped and drilled with a Dremel tool--I was pleasantly surprised at how easily it was accomplished--you can see my first attempt at this from the photo--If you want, let me know and I can give you the brand of adhesive I got from an auto parts store for about $6--
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aapasquale; 01-27-2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: misspelling

  5. #5
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,913
    aapasquale, I'd like to know what the two part adhesive is. Please post it here. I have some broken tabs on an airhead side cover that I've been wanting to fix. Making a mold out of putty sounds like a way better idea than using pvc pipe cuttings and JB Weld which I've been contemplating.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  6. #6
    aapasquale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    130

    adhesive name

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    aapasquale, I'd like to know what the two part adhesive is. Please post it here. I have some broken tabs on an airhead side cover that I've been wanting to fix. Making a mold out of putty sounds like a way better idea than using pvc pipe cuttings and JB Weld which I've been contemplating.
    the adhesive I used is a two-part adhesive called PermaPoxy (5 minute plastic weld) manufactured by Permatex--It's very easy to use--Bob, in the book you will see other ways of repairing your part which are even more appropriate and are very well-explained and you will no doubt find it a great learning experience--all the best
    Tony

  7. #7
    143439 bobr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clarkesville, GA
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    --If you want, let me know and I can give you the brand of adhesive I got from an auto parts store for about $6--
    Thanks for this info. I would like to know as well what the adhesive used was. Making that mold sounds complicated, but maybe I need to read the book first. I am going to try and post some pictures of what mine currently looks like. Thanks again..

  8. #8
    143439 bobr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clarkesville, GA
    Posts
    140
    I will post some pics. The one below is from the right side fairing and shows the three broken pieces. Note the previous repair by PO:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •