Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2009 R1200RT - Wunderlich Front Protection Bars

  1. #1
    Registered User b25bsaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    Posts
    423

    2009 R1200RT - Wunderlich Front Protection Bars

    Good day!

    recently put a set of the BMW R1200RT front engine protection guards on my 2009 R12RT. Fairly straight forward, but after I installed them began to look at the clearance of the outer tips of the bars relevant to the stand off distance between the outer oil cover. It appears to be less and than 1". My question is, is that enough, as my BMW factory Airheads tip over bars really stick out. Has anyone had any experience in this matter? Or am I just being anal?
    Would anyone recommends the rear set of saddle bag protection bar as well from Wunderlich?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 01-28-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    487
    I have the Wunderlich engine guards and the rear guards on a 2008RT and they work well.
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Coast of Ohio which sounds much better than Cleveland
    Posts
    6

    Wunderlich Rear Guards

    In my experience the rear guards do not work for 2 up riding. Installed a set and removed them after 1/2 a city block. Sold them at a loss on the Flea Market as Wunderlich has a no return policy.

  4. #4
    Registered User b25bsaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I have the Wunderlich engine guards and the rear guards on a 2008RT and they work well.
    Anthony, If they work well, is that from experience in dropping the bike, thus you had adequate protection from damaging the head valve covers?
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

  5. #5
    RAINEY 187132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    128
    Very good question. i'm now watching this thread because I was thinking about getting them too.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

  6. #6
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    391
    I had a near zero mph drop onto the right side, with the rear bags off the bike. The Wunderlich front bars allowed some scrapes toward the rear of the valve cover that would not have occurred if the bags had been mounted or if I had the Wunderlich rear bars. I filled the scrapes with epoxy and repainted the bars and valve cover - looks good as new.

    My feeling is that BMW should design tip over protection into the bike as Honda does with the ST. Tip overs are inevitable. There is no reason that expensive and critical parts should be left unprotected.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  7. #7
    RAINEY 187132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I had a near zero mph drop onto the right side, with the rear bags off the bike. The Wunderlich front bars allowed some scrapes toward the rear of the valve cover that would not have occurred if the bags had been mounted or if I had the Wunderlich rear bars. I filled the scrapes with epoxy and repainted the bars and valve cover - looks good as new.

    My feeling is that BMW should design tip over protection into the bike as Honda does with the ST. Tip overs are inevitable. There is no reason that expensive and critical parts should be left unprotected.
    I totally agree with your last line
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by b25bsaboy View Post
    Anthony, If they work well, is that from experience in dropping the bike, thus you had adequate protection from damaging the head valve covers?
    My bike came with a few light scratches on the bags. I put the rear guards on and have dropped it in 0 mph situations and they worked. Also dropped the bike after putting the front guards on and they worked well. All these drops occured before I had the bike lowered with Wilber's shocks
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

  9. #9
    Registered User b25bsaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I had a near zero mph drop onto the right side, with the rear bags off the bike. The Wunderlich front bars allowed some scrapes toward the rear of the valve cover that would not have occurred if the bags had been mounted or if I had the Wunderlich rear bars. I filled the scrapes with epoxy and repainted the bars and valve cover - looks good as new.

    My feeling is that BMW should design tip over protection into the bike as Honda does with the ST. Tip overs are inevitable. There is no reason that expensive and critical parts should be left unprotected.
    +2 and should be a standard equipment item as the old Air Head front tip over bars were?
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 02-01-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

  10. #10
    Insatiable Cruiser rtwiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by b25bsaboy View Post
    Good day!

    recently put a set of the BMW R1200RT front engine protection guards on my 2009 R12RT. Fairly straight forward, but after I installed them began to look at the clearance of the outer tips of the bars relevant to the stand off distance between the outer oil cover. It appears to be less and than 1". My question is, is that enough, as my BMW factory Airheads tip over bars really stick out. Has anyone had any experience in this matter? Or am I just being anal?
    Would anyone recommends the rear set of saddle bag protection bar as well from Wunderlich?
    I have these bars. I dropped my bike turning it around on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere with them. The head covers still got scratched a little, but I didn't get a hole in them. You don't want the bars to stick out because it limits ground clearance for turns. Crash bars shouldn't contribute to a crash!!!

    I like these because you can adjust the valves and change oil without removing the bars. Several other kinds require a massive PITA procedure to get to the valves. You got the right ones!


  11. #11
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
    I like these because you can adjust the valves and change oil without removing the bars. Several other kinds require a massive PITA procedure to get to the valves.

    Good point. I've found that by pulling the top out slightly, and rotating toward the front (with care), I can even remove the lower fairing without removing the bars.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    487
    The wunderlick bars wont inhibit plastic removal

    The only time I've had to move the bars is when I changed the generator belt
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •