Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally = Who's going?

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    Riding through is a precession at best. Lots of time to look around.
    Sometimes you can't look around too much, especially in Yellowstone. In 2004 after the Spokane rally, everyone was stopping to take some picture of a bird, squirrel, moose, or whatever. I found I had to really be on my toes for sudden brake lights and people heading to the shoulder for pictures.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I'll be coming from NC, but the caveat is that I'll be towing my bikes in a trailer on the trip across the country. Not because I'm not up for a good long ride... but because I plan on staying out west for 6 weeks or so, and want both of my bikes for different kinds of riding.
    Tom
    2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black
    2005 Honda GL1800A Gold Wing
    2012 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Oklabeemerfan View Post
    The route planning is starting to take shape....all is decided until we get to Oregon. Do we turn right and head to Canada via Seattle...or keep heading west to Salem?....There is lots to see in Oregon as well. My riding partner says "hey...we should camp along the way!" I say "Hozer...we will be riding through Bigfoot country...besides that, you don't camp"...I'm thinking after 8 to 10 hours on a bike, sleeping on the ground and no hot shower sounds great! I'm not saying it should be all Marriott Hotels and IHOP...I know I know I know..."but Donnie, it's an adventure you wimp!" ....How about Motel 6 and Waffle House?...hmmm, responsible decisions need to be made and I'm really not qualified. Being a grown up is overrated
    Most campgrounds have hot water showers, and flush toilets. Try KOA campgrounds, or other local RV parks. We camp 9 out of 10 nights. Some campgrounds have cabins, all you need is a sleeping pad and bag. Google local campgrounds on your route, we have never made a reservation and never been turned away from a campground either, so it is much easier to travel long distances, or for that matter only a 150 mile day. And we have met delightful people who are very interested in motorcycles!
    F650 GS 2007, F650GS 2011,F800GS 2014
    Team Pterodactyl, Dessert Division
    A Bit Wester of HQ

The KOA campgrounds do look like a great alternative....more thinking to do

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklabeemerfan View Post
    The KOA campgrounds do look like a great alternative....more thinking to do
    You can download their directory. I saved it on my laptop just in case I found myself in the middle of smartphone/internet nowhere and wanted to see what options lay ahead.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Me and my 18 year old son will be riding from De Soto, Kansas camping along the way.
    I'll be arriving early to drop him off for Camp GEARS.
    I'll get in a bit of local riding before the rally starts.
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

Getting giddy......

Ok peeps...the time for departure is getting closer. How are the preparations going? I have sent my front wheel to Woody's in Denver for a bit of straightening. Any suggestions for dry bags?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Departure is less than a month away. Preparation is getting serious....

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Barley and I will be heading out on the 4th. Last week I put new tires on front and rear; the sidecar tire looks okay for another 10k miles. Oil and filter change this morning. This coming Weds we're riding down to Max BMW in Troy NY to have the experts give the rig the once over. Then I'll pull it into my shop where it will be surrounded by all the stuff I'm thinking of taking for our 3 and a half weeks on the road. From years past I have a pretty good idea how I want to pack everything so tug and sidecar are well balanced and nothing will fall over onto Barley's dog bed. He has a history of heaving over the side anything that impinges on his sovereign turf.

Refreshed my emergency medical kit and Barley's vet kit: benadryl, flagyl, a cephalosporin in case he gets an infected wound or hotspot, rimadyl for pain, saline for wound irrigation.

I'm hoping our timing hits the plains and badlands at that sweet spot where the nasty storms are over with but the terrain is still green. After the heat and the drought at Sedalia last year I'm looking forward to some verdant scenery.

Oh, also need to put together a care package for my wife to mail to us at the rally. A refill of Barley's kibble, some extra toys, a half pint of real maple syrup since the the Aunt Jemima petroleum-based pseudo-maple liquid is toxic to Vermonters.

Still not sure what suit to take. Definitely the mesh pants and jacket for the hot crossing. But for the cooler climates and rainy areas not sure if I should take my Stich Onesie or my RevIt Sand/Cayenne suit with liners. One advantage of a sidecar rig is I can take two outfits and stash the one I'm not wearing under Barley's bed. More padding for him.

Reading back over the comments of this post is making me more excited about the trip. Hopefully we will see some of you along the way. I will be looking for ya!!!....Woody's could not fix my wheel, so a new rim had to be ordered, taking a chunk out of my travel fund...bummer. But the wheel looks great, is round, mounted and ready to head west. Our first night will be spent in Denver with my brother. Then lots of slabbing....across Colorado and up to Salt Lake City, then through Idaho into Oregon....fun fun! Then on to Seattle and maybe Canada....Oh, almost forgot...haul ass south to Salem for the rally. Im gonna travel light so I can buy goodies at the rally!

Heading down from Seattle.
    Hoping for great weather.
    Bringin' 2 bikes!
    (R75/5 and S1000RR)

Say Hi if you see 'em!
    If you can't go fast with 100hp, you can't go fast with 200hp.

Rally

I'm headed out on 7-13 from Moore, going to try to do an IBA Bun Burner Gold to just the other side of Boise, ID. After a day or so with my cousin, a little slower pace the rest of the way to Salem. Not sure of my route back yet but thinking about heading back over and down thru Montana, stopping to see the grandkids in Casper, WY, then on home by the weekend after the rally. Should be some great riding. Anyone want to slab the first 1537 miles with me on the 13th, shoot me a pm.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Ok....we are officially less than 2 weeks from departure. Getting reeeelly giddy. Final preparations are being made. The Cardo Q3 Multi set has arrived so I've been playing with that new toy. I have both units updated, radio stations programmed, iPhone connected for calls and music....very nice. I've noticed more strange looks from my wife....What's so wrong about walking around the house in shorts, motorcycle boots and helmet on, jamming to some tunes through the Q3?....sometimes I just don't understand her. Now if I could figure out where the intercom mute button is on this Q3...and I'm not just saying that because of my annoying friend Hozer.....

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The sidecar rig is mostly packed, just some last minute stuff remains. Barley is really excited! He runs into the shop, jumps into the hack and looks at me expectantly. Soon, Little Brother!

We start our trip this coming Thursday, the 4th of July. Looks like rain and afternoon thunderboomers, but we're ready for just about anything.