Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1978 R1007 vibration in rear end

Quote Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
    Sounds like you are talking about this guy....

Attachment 37345

If that nut were loose, yes your bearings are probably toast... but it may be worth playing with it by tightening and turning by hand etc.... Worst case, you can find a used one pretty cheap. Check the flea market here, and try the IBMWR fleamarket... there is usally a lot of stuff on there, with some good folks. I would use eBay as a last resort for something like this, though there are a couple of good bike-breakers who know their BMS stuff...you can try to contact them to see if they have anything that isn't posted.
    Yes sir, Thats the bad boy..Nut folded the treads on the shaft , and the shaft wiggles . Shot

Cool Big Nut :)

Quote Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
    Sounds like you are talking about this guy....

Attachment 37345

If that nut were loose, yes your bearings are probably toast... but it may be worth playing with it by tightening and turning by hand etc.... Worst case, you can find a used one pretty cheap. Check the flea market here, and try the IBMWR fleamarket... there is usally a lot of stuff on there, with some good folks. I would use eBay as a last resort for something like this, though there are a couple of good bike-breakers who know their BMS stuff...you can try to contact them to see if they have anything that isn't posted.
    Had the EXACT same problem with the rear drive on my 84 (build date 9/83) R100RS about 8 years ago! However, I caught it before any rear drive damage. Contacted Oak about it, he said some of them got out of the factory without the bolt being torqued to the proper value. Torqued mine to the required value, no further problems. Sorry you weren't so lucky .
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6 (rebuild complete)
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein