Thread: 1978 R1007 vibration in rear end

Hybrid View

Lightbulb 1978 R1007 vibration in rear end

Good morning , My bike as developed a vibration in the rear end . I've started taking apart the bike , and was looking for advice on what to look out for ... Thanks Doug

Doug,

It could be the splines are stripped from the driveshaft to the final drive or possibly your wheel bearings going out - have you put bike on center stand and spun rear wheel and moved it from side to side? You may need a couple boards under center stand to get rear wheel off the ground.

Let us know what you find out.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Doug, Thanks Will try tonight .

It could be the splines are stripped from the driveshaft to the final drive or possibly your wheel bearings going out - have you put bike on center stand and spun rear wheel and moved it from side to side? You may need a couple boards under center stand to get rear wheel off the ground.

Let us know what you find out.
    Will take a look tonight . Thanks doug

James.A
    Depending on what kind of vibration you are experiencing, you should look at the gusset on the rear subframe. The one under the seat with 2 bolts for the fender where the back of the tool tray would rest. Typically, the weld opposite the chrome handle will crack. Most of these welds that I have seen are what is known in the trade as "under-cut" and are weak. All dual shock bikes except /5 are susceptible.

I think it would be helpful if you could describe the vibration in a bit more detail. Does it happen when you first start out, all all speeds? Maybe it appears at only one speed or is worse at other speeds. Have you had any rear wheel service lately? Is there any slop in the rear wheel bearings...if you grab the tire at the 9am-3pm (or thereabouts) positions and try and rock the wheel, is it solid or does it walk a bit on the axle? Before tearing it apart, you should investigate these kinds of things.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Vibration

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I think it would be helpful if you could describe the vibration in a bit more detail. Does it happen when you first start out, all all speeds? Maybe it appears at only one speed or is worse at other speeds. Have you had any rear wheel service lately? Is there any slop in the rear wheel bearings...if you grab the tire at the 9am-3pm (or thereabouts) positions and try and rock the wheel, is it solid or does it walk a bit on the axle? Before tearing it apart, you should investigate these kinds of things.
    I took a cloose look at the rear wheel first, and all looks tight.. could it be in the spokes? Vibration is worst 1st - 3 rd gear up to approx 65mph . mirrors shakes , seat shakes ect . It seems to follow RPM s . I'll be into it more this week end . freezin in NY and whats better than working on your bike. Thanks and I'll keep updating Doug

Vibration in rear end

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Morning. removed the 4 final Drive bolts and found that the large nut/washer on the final drive was almost off. Finall drive is shot ! The bike has 45000 orig miles . Bummer! Rebuild/Buy new? any thoughts ? Thanks Doug

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    Depending on what kind of vibration you are experiencing, you should look at the gusset on the rear subframe. The one under the seat with 2 bolts for the fender where the back of the tool tray would rest. Typically, the weld opposite the chrome handle will crack. Most of these welds that I have seen are what is known in the trade as "under-cut" and are weak. All dual shock bikes except /5 are susceptible.
    I'll check it out tonight .