Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire balancer-tire irons.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I marvel at the psychology involved in this.

Over the years I've discovered that when using my Harbor Freight tire changer it's about twice as easy to do a car tire as it is a motorcycle tire. Up until recently I was an Airhead guy and all my tires had tubes--I'm not even going to attempt a tubeless motorcycle tire.

Before the assembly is even mounted on the changer it's obviously lots easier to dismount (and remount) a car wheel/tire than it is a motorcycle wheel/tire (especially fronts). No worries messing up brake rotors on cars, either.

So, if the number of times one had to change tires was the same, it would suggest doing car tires at home before doing motorcycle tires. But hardly anybody does. (No, you don't need alignment.)

Even given that cars have twice as many tires, it's probably still more expensive in the long run to pay the labor for professional bike tire service because, indeed, bike tires are changed more often. But, offset that with the fact it's REALLY expensive to purchase pro-grade tools for home use and it's REALLY difficult to do a pro-quality job with anything else, where's the point? It may be there but IMHO it's pretty weak.

And it's dubious whether much of this relates to road emergencies, either. Plugging isn't related at all and you simply can't carry enough air power to seat a tubeless bead if that's what's needed. The fact it's a little more feasible for old-timers with tubes really doesn't translate well to modern bikes, either. Methinks you'll be calling a professional and truck transportation.

Well, yes, perhaps cars are utilitarian and motorcycles are toys and there's some sort of guilt in spending too $$ much on toys. (But not personal time--we work cheap) There should be none of that, however, and, yes doing it oneself can be just more fun for the sake of fun, but changing tires? I say life's too short and my time's too valuable.
    Thats why I like to work on my bikes.But when it costs more for me to work on it than a mech(tools,supplies,pissed off spouse),I will let the tech handle it.Thats why I am trying to keep this on the cheap.I don't get bruised knouckes,I always used gloves when changing tires as a mech.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

+1 on the Marc Parnes balancer

I also have the HF changer with mo-jo blocks and a big +1 on that combo too!

I had a mo-jo bar but have now gone to the nomar bar. No comparison, the nomar bar wins hands down.

For me, the trick to getting the bead to set is to remove the valve stem. Once the bead is set, you can put the valve stem in and re-inflate. You need air volume more than air pressure!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

here's that site for the tape weights, as promised. when i purchased mine, they were a clear winner. have not looked since, so things may have changed.
    http://www.westernsupplyinc.com/Fron...hk=1&Itemid=64
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I'm not even going to attempt a tubeless motorcycle tire.
    Why not? Breaking the bead is harder on a tubeless tire, everything else is easier with no valve stem to snake through a hole and no tube to pinch. All-in-all I find tubed vs tubeless to be different, but about the same amount of work. I change the tires on both my R69S (tubed) and my R1200GS (tubeless).

I do not use a changer. I've a wheel stand because I got tired of working on my knees with the wheel resting on some 2x4s. The stand has a bead breaker attachment. Before I got that attachment I used everything from a 2x4 lever, to the bike's side stand, to tire irons, to a hand bead breaker tool, etc., to break the bead. That was the hardest part of the job. The only other tools I use are some tire irons and a valve core tool.

And it's dubious whether much of this relates to road emergencies, either. Plugging isn't related at all and you simply can't carry enough air power to seat a tubeless bead if that's what's needed.
    Gas or starter fluid and a match will do the job. I saw it on youtube. I've never had to change a tire on the road and hope I never have to. I like plugs!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    here's that site for the tape weights, as promised.
    Tape weights need only be purchased once. When removed the old adhesive comes off with some alcohol or goo gone. 3M permanent double sided tape can then be attached to use the weights over, and over, and over again.

here's that site for the tape weights, as promised. when i purchased mine, they were a clear winner. have not looked since, so things may have changed.
    Thanks

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Why not? Breaking the bead is harder on a tubeless tire, everything else is easier with no valve stem to snake through a hole and no tube to pinch. All-in-all I find tubed vs tubeless to be different, but about the same amount of work. I change the tires on both my R69S (tubed) and my R1200GS (tubeless).

I do not use a changer. I've a wheel stand because I got tired of working on my knees with the wheel resting on some 2x4s. The stand has a bead breaker attachment. Before I got that attachment I used everything from a 2x4 lever, to the bike's side stand, to tire irons, to a hand bead breaker tool, etc., to break the bead. That was the hardest part of the job. The only other tools I use are some tire irons and a valve core tool.

Gas or starter fluid and a match will do the job. I saw it on youtube. I've never had to change a tire on the road and hope I never have to. I like plugs!
    I remember seeing that done back when I was a GM mech. One of the guys wanted to try it and it worked.

Craig

I see a "magic powder" & zinc rim weights using this link?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

The flammable aerosol and a thrown match works but I use it in an emergency only such as when I lose a bead on one of these type of tires- and I'm away from the shop.

Its real dangerous and really doesn't do a tire any good due to the over-pressure (that can't be calculated).

The new hot-setup is the Cheetah- this is the new and lower prices 2 gallon unit (around $200.00)

Tires are a lot of work. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The flammable aerosol and a thrown match works but I use it in an emergency only such as when I lose a bead on one of these type of tires- and I'm away from the shop.

Its real dangerous and really doesn't do a tire any good due to the over-pressure (that can't be calculated).

The new hot-setup is the Cheetah- this is the new and lower prices 2 gallon unit (around $200.00)

Tires are a lot of work. OM
    Looks like an asperator for asthma.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I see a "magic powder" & zinc rim weights using this link?
    hmm. i hadn't looked again, just gave link. but you're right, no tape types. guess its a google search for those needing new ones. i have a box that i won't use up in this lifetime, so i'll let someone else man up for that task.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I marvel at the psychology involved in this.

Over the years I've discovered that when using my Harbor Freight tire changer it's about twice as easy to do a car tire as it is a motorcycle tire. Up until recently I was an Airhead guy and all my tires had tubes--I'm not even going to attempt a tubeless motorcycle tire.
    Tubeless are actually easier.

So, if the number of times one had to change tires was the same, it would suggest doing car tires at home before doing motorcycle tires. But hardly anybody does. (No, you don't need alignment.)
    You make a good point, I'm not completely sure why either but there are 4 big tires to get home and 4 big ones to get rid of. No balancing required???

And it's dubious whether much of this relates to road emergencies, either. Plugging isn't related at all and you simply can't carry enough air power to seat a tubeless bead if that's what's needed. The fact it's a little more feasible for old-timers with tubes really doesn't translate well to modern bikes, either. Methinks you'll be calling a professional and truck transportation.

Well, yes, perhaps cars are utilitarian and motorcycles are toys and there's some sort of guilt in spending too $$ much on toys. (But not personal time--we work cheap) There should be none of that, however, and, yes doing it oneself can be just more fun for the sake of fun, but changing tires? I say life's too short and my time's too valuable.
    My time's too valuable to waste hanging around a dirty garage and all the scratches on my rims were put there by me. Tire work is not my favourite but I do find it satisfying.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    What motomike said, and I do change my own car tires too.

Bottom line of why, changed 25 sets on my Replika in the last 9 years, plus quite a few sets on the wife's bike, son's bikes and track bike. All with tire irons.

And yes you can seat new tires with a 12 v compressor. Did it with my little slime compressor, after changing a set of tires in the hotel parking lot during the Johnson city BMWOA rally. The new set I showed up with, only lasted 3 days and 1100 miles of the twisty NC/TN roads.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    And yes you can seat new tires with a 12 v compressor. Did it with my little slime compressor, after changing a set of tires in the hotel parking lot during the Johnson city BMWOA rally.
    How did that go?
    I've had trouble once or twice popping the second bead on.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    How did that go?I've had trouble once or twice popping the second bead on.
    Very slowly

Craig