Thread: Tire balancer-tire irons.

Hybrid View

Tire balancer-tire irons.

I would like to get some suggestions on tire balancers and yire irons from the riders that use them out there.
    Now that I have two bikes it would be cost effective to change my own tires now.
    Thanks.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    I would like to get some suggestions on tire balancers and yire irons from the riders that use them out there.
    Now that I have two bikes it would be cost effective to change my own tires now.
    Thanks.
    The Mark Parnes balancer is very well made and popular. Irons are pretty generic, a good bead breaker is very important. Don't forget the rim savers to protect the rims.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

+1 on Marc Parnes' stuff. Nice guy to work with.
    I have a H-F tire changer (may be nla, not sure about that), fitted with MoJo blocks, and use the MoJo Lever http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm. Hell of a great tool! Makes tire levers just look stupid.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

jeepinbanditrider
    http://www.stubbytiretools.com/

no rim savers required. If you have a tire mounting stand like the Harbor Freight ones then I'd get the Mojo or no-mar bars.

I use the Harbor Freight tire balancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    http://www.stubbytiretools.com/

no rim savers required. If you have a tire mounting stand like the Harbor Freight ones then I'd get the Mojo or no-mar bars.

I use the Harbor Freight tire balancer.
    I have read about the HF,but will the cones work on the BMW rims.I am noticing companies are requiring a larger cone for the single sided swingarms like my K100 and R1150RT.I do like the $ though.
    I am doing this to save $, know its done right, and no more traveling to bike shop.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

AND AGAIN, +1 for the Marc Parnes balancer. Also a +1 for the Harbor Freight bead breaker #98875. Both work great on my tubeless R1150R and by tubed F650GS (single) tires. Yes, the balancer will require an additional cone so you can switch between wheel types. A small amount of rubber lube (Ruglide) (buy an empty glue bottle with an appicator brush) from your local automotive tire shop (free?) will greatly simplify the process of dismounting and mounting your tires. Irons and rim protectors are pretty generic. Mine are from Motion Pro and work great. Once you start changing your own tires, a flat on the road becomes a minor inconvienience.

jeepinbanditrider
    I have read about the HF,but will the cones work on the BMW rims.I am noticing companies are requiring a larger cone for the single sided swingarms like my K100 and R1150RT.I do like the $ though.
    I am doing this to save $, know its done right, and no more traveling to bike shop.
    Works fine on my front wheel. The rear one needs a Mark Parnes adapter which I need to order.

The HF tire changer reportedly works fine with BMW rims. Some minor mods might be necessary to prevent marring the rim. The HF tire balancer requires an adapter that is not available through HF, even though the part number is listed in the manual and on the box. Additionally the HF website reviews report many problems with bent balancer axles caused by improper packaging. An adapter from another company might work with the HF balancer, but for a no hassle solution, I'd recommend the Marc Parnes balancer.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT