Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lithium Batteries 1983 R100

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    High tech eventually gets redundant, IMO, 2 cents.
    Your average consumer is easily impressed by high tech. Its the more is better syndrome, even though it isn't even needed.

keelerb
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I always chuckle when the sport bike kids boast about the weight they saved with their aftermarket exhaust systems. Funny thing is, by themselves, none of them produced more performance.

Light may be nice, but I'm not on the track worried about every gram of weight on my motorcycle. Same goes for the extra 11 pounds my regular GS battery weighs and I'm certainly not going to spend the more-than-double-the-price cost of a Lithium battery. I don't need the bragging rights of a lighter battery.
    Not saying you're wrong but in my Guzzi Eldorado a LiFePo battery saved 19 pounds (I kid you not) over the lead-acid battery the PO had in there (which was six months old when I got the bike). I ain't made of money, but cutting 19 pounds carried fairly high in the frame made sense to me.

LESS is more.

My Guzzi had the biggest battery I have ever seen in a motorcycle. Made the BMW battery look small by comparison. Also cost the most.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
    Not saying you're wrong but in my Guzzi Eldorado a LiFePo battery saved 19 pounds (I kid you not) over the lead-acid battery the PO had in there (which was six months old when I got the bike).
    In my airhead GS, that would be 11 pounds, but do I care? Nope! Hardly a concern when I have so much more weight up there in a large gas tank when full. And in my oilhead GS Adventure, here is even more gas up higher.

Then there is the cost. If weight is all that important, fine, but the Lithium battery offers no real advantages other than weight over my FLA. Talking specs is just that and no more. My GS with the original FLA battery started every single time when I needed it to for 8.5 full years. Based on cost, I would need the Lithium battery to last far more than 18 years to make it worth it.

Lets not forget the electronic circuitry within the battery that handles the charging. Another thing to go wrong.

Alex:

Do you think the problems with the Dreamliner's Lithium batteries are solveable, with current technology? I see Airbus has dropped the plans to use them.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Alex:

Do you think the problems with the Dreamliner's Lithium batteries are solveable, with current technology? I see Airbus has dropped the plans to use them.
    Solution: install a regular battery...they've worked well in the past. They're trying to save weight... and it is what percentage of the gross weight? Start putting a bunch of zeros next to the decimal point before you even see a number.

I won't be flying in an A/C with a composite fuselage either...by choice.

I was thinking that if they change battery types, they would have to redesign the entire charging / monitoring / safety systems. But on the other hand, they've already designed systems for their other aircraft types. I'll bet they already have a Plan B in the works.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I was thinking that if they change battery types, they would have to redesign the entire charging / monitoring / safety systems. But on the other hand, they've already designed systems for their other aircraft types. I'll bet they already have a Plan B in the works.
    Rin, I don't know about those particular batteries, but other Lithium batteries have their own charging circuit within the battery.

The batteries packs within the actual battery are in series and then those packs are placed in parallel. These batteries are more particular when being charged, so they have some cell balancing circuits within...at least they should have.

The 3.7V lithium cells we have in our devices are a single cell and easiest to charge properly. When you double them (7.4V in series), charging becomes more involved. Stacking them even more....you get the picture.