Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Lithium Batteries 1983 R100

  1. #1
    Arctic Art
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manley Hot Springs Alaska
    Posts
    140

    Lithium Batteries 1983 R100

    Any input on Shorai batteries.Thinking of getting one.

  2. #2
    Registered User Bob_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    1,767
    Boeing might be having a sale on them

  3. #3
    jeepinbanditrider
    Guest
    The local Beemer shop carries them. Pretty amazing batteries. They have a sign posted over the counter demo models that say "these are real batteries" because they are so light they feel like they should be empty. They said they haven't had any issues with them and I haven't heard bad things about them on any of the big boards like ADVRIDER or whatnot.

  4. #4
    Arctic Art
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manley Hot Springs Alaska
    Posts
    140

    Thanks

    Thank you,Just what I wanted to know.Now I can spend some real money on a battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    The local Beemer shop carries them. Pretty amazing batteries. They have a sign posted over the counter demo models that say "these are real batteries" because they are so light they feel like they should be empty. They said they haven't had any issues with them and I haven't heard bad things about them on any of the big boards like ADVRIDER or whatnot.

  5. #5
    Smoooooth at 430 gch71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    Boeing might be having a sale on them
    Ooooooooo its getting hot in here
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

  6. #6
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    There is a guy in our local BMW club who had a conventional lead-acid battery in his Bumblebee airhead for 9 (nine!) years working. Makes you wonder why you want to spend a premium for anything else.

  7. #7
    Registered User toooldtocare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,693
    I asked our local BMW dealer about them as an upgrade for my R1200R. He said that they have had a couple go bad, but their warranty was very good. He took responsibility for their failure because they had not been charged before the sale and had sat on the shelf awhile. They weight almost nothing, but have much more power. By the way, my wife works for Boeing and the battery issue is not a laughing matter around her.

  8. #8
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,457
    Not sure, but I think I saw that Boeing's lithiums are made by Yuasa -?

  9. #9
    Registered User toooldtocare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Not sure, but I think I saw that Boeing's lithiums are made by Yuasa -?
    From NY Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/bu...-say.html?_r=0

    "Jay F. Whitacre, an associate professor of engineering at Carnegie Mellon University, said GS Yuasa, the Japanese company that built the 787 batteries, told the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in a 2008 presentation that it had already supplied batteries for six satellites and had contracts for 50 more. GS Yuasa also said that its satellite batteries had never had a shorting incident in more than 10 years of production."

  10. #10
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    From NY Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/bu...-say.html?_r=0

    "Jay F. Whitacre, an associate professor of engineering at Carnegie Mellon University, said GS Yuasa, the Japanese company that built the 787 batteries, told the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in a 2008 presentation that it had already supplied batteries for six satellites and had contracts for 50 more. GS Yuasa also said that its satellite batteries had never had a shorting incident in more than 10 years of production."
    I am sure Yuasa makes great batteries however comparing satellites to airplanes makes very little sense. They are radically different environments and the usage profile would likely be totally different. Lithium batteries (and especially rechargeable lithium batteries) can be dangerous simply due to the fact that lithium is a flammable metal when exposed to oxygen. They have very amazing and appealing energy density and weight ratios but I would not call fault tolerance their strong suit.

    I worked as an electronics technologist at Moli Energy Ltd. (called Moli One today) from '84 to '89 where the world's first commercial rechargeable lithium batteries were developed based on research done at the University of British Columbia. Trust me when I say that when things go wrong with a lithium battery things get very interesting very quickly.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  11. #11
    Boxer, paint shaker redbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Winston, OR
    Posts
    339

    The not so good

    March issue of Motorcyclist has a blurb about Lithium-ion batteries.
    Don't like cold
    Don't like being run down
    Need to be kept on tender

    My '04 RT still has the OEM battery.
    Cat Televangelist; "and Morris brought down from the sofa the 10 entitlements!"

  12. #12
    Arctic Art
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manley Hot Springs Alaska
    Posts
    140

    Oh,well!

    On second thought I guess I'll stick to the old lead acid type for now. I'll look up that MOA issue.Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeemer View Post
    March issue of Motorcyclist has a blurb about Lithium-ion batteries.
    Don't like cold
    Don't like being run down
    Need to be kept on tender

    My '04 RT still has the OEM battery.

  13. #13
    Smoooooth at 430 gch71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I asked our local BMW dealer about them as an upgrade for my R1200R. He said that they have had a couple go bad, but their warranty was very good. He took responsibility for their failure because they had not been charged before the sale and had sat on the shelf awhile. They weight almost nothing, but have much more power. By the way, my wife works for Boeing and the battery issue is not a laughing matter around her.
    As a pilot myself I know it's not a laughing matter, I've had NICAD batteries do the thermal runaway once and I don't ever want to go through that again. I just think that Boeing is a little tooooo aggressive with this specific new technology, these batteries are a whole different ball of wax and should be tested more in real time setting not just in a lab. I think human factors got in the way here and things got overlooked, bottom line...it's not funny but I'm just trying to keep it lively
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

  14. #14
    Registered User toooldtocare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Gch71 View Post
    As a pilot myself I know it's not a laughing matter, I've had NICAD batteries do the thermal runaway once and I don't ever want to go through that again. I just think that Boeing is a little tooooo aggressive with this specific new technology, these batteries are a whole different ball of wax and should be tested more in real time setting not just in a lab. I think human factors got in the way here and things got overlooked, bottom line...it's not funny but I'm just trying to keep it lively
    I agree, having been a test engineer at McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) I know that there is only so much that can be done in the lab. The proof that the design is good is never complete until it has been fully tested in actual flight.

    Wayne

  15. #15
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I agree, having been a test engineer at McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) I know that there is only so much that can be done in the lab. The proof that the design is good is never complete until it has been fully tested in actual flight.

    Wayne
    And apparently it failed.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •