Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregonians - Speed Advice

Oregonians - Speed Advice

This July several thousand riders will be visiting your fair state for the international Rally. All of us expect to spend money on gas and food; many on farkles and lodging. Sorry to say, none of us are keen on helping cities, counties or the state out of their budget problems through traffic fines. I attended the 2001 and 2010 rallies in Redmond, had a great time, and returned home to B.C. with no unpleasant LEO encounters. No radar detector then or now. While my general advice below may be of some slight help to travellers, it is your very specific advice that is likely to keep us out of trouble with the law.

The Locals Know Best If many folk with Oregon plates are driving 55-60 where it is posted 55 but 70 would be the sane speed, well - they know something, stranger, that you don't. Same thing for rigid adherance to speed limits in small towns and, especially, rigid adherance to speed limits entering or leaving small towns. Most Oregonians, I'm told, are not more annaly retentive than the general poplulace of other states. Demonstating your "big dog" riding skills in these situations is likely to be expensive and time-consuming. If, on the other hand, lots of local people are way over the speed limit; don't hold them back. But don't lead the way either.

No Local Plates A common situation in eastern Oregon at least. My suggestion is that you cut your highway speed to maybe 7 mph over the speed limit when you are within 30 miles of the nearest town. Entering and leaving small towns, get it down to no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. If you have been riding "briskly" this will feel like crawling speed, especially if there is no traffic in front of you. Just remember, it is much faster and cheaper to ride through town at 25 mph than to do it at 40 mph and be pulled over.

Back Roads There are a lot of great back roads in Oregon (and I'm just talking about the paved ones) where you may not see 4 other vehicles in an hour. I think sight distance and physics here (not fear of LEO's) should function as your speed control.

So, Oregonians, tell me where I'm wrong or specific roads/towns known for harsh speed enforcement. Feel free to add other comments about laws unusual to many of us: still the same deal at gas stations?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    ... So, Oregonians, tell me where I'm wrong ...
    Actually, good advice no matter where in the USA you might ride. Oregon has no corner on common sense road behavior.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

7 MPH over the posted speed limit in Oregon is too fast if you're wearing a California license plates.

Riding in a large group at much over the posted limit is no guarantee of safety. If you get pulled out of a pack and written up for speed it is still your ticket.

Don't ask why you were stopped and not the "rest of the bunch" as the answer will likely be another question such as "do you ever go fishing?" and when you admit that you sometimes dip a lure in the water the LEO will ask then "do you catch every fish in the lake?"
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

na1g
    The question not asked is: is there likely to be a greater police presence in the area because of the rally?

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    The question not asked is: is there likely to be a greater police presence in the area because of the rally?
    Local Sheriffs yes, probably. State troopers, not so likely.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Don't know if it's still a problem, but for those riding the I-5 slab northbound to the rally, there is/was a small town south of Springfield/Eugene where a small town police force was using I-5 as a revenue generator. Five over the posted limit would definitely earn a rider a written performance award. Sorry I don't recall the name of the town, but somewhere between Cottage Grove and Eugene...

I've also heard the area north of Klamath on SR 97 can be challenging.

But otherwise, the OP's notes are worthy of consideration. During daylight hours in the eastern Oregon desert I've managed some good average speeds...but ya have to be "aware" of the conditions! LOL

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Cresswell

Cesswell is town between eugene and cottage grove. Really though cottage grove is biggest problem on i5.
    2012 R1200RT, 2004 Vespa GTi, 2001 Kawasaki 220R, 1981 Vespa P200E, 2004 BMW 325i

I have had the pleasure of riding a lot of miles in OR.

While my general advice below may be of some slight help to travellers, it is your very specific advice that is likely to keep us out of trouble with the law.
    I know how quaint this sounds but simply comply with the law. That's the VERY sound advise you will hear when you know there is going to be a large presence of motorcycles in any given area. Law enforcement knows the average motorcyclist tends to run just a little over the posted limits to keep cages off our rears. When riders are traveling longer distances to get to a rally on a particular state, law enforcement knows those riders me edge it a bit higher than normal and many officers are 'inclined' to help support their state - which is a big part of their job.

Don't speed. No tickets. Sounds arther simple doesn't it.... And no, I don't necessarily intend to follow my own advise....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Actually, good advice no matter where in the USA you might ride. Oregon has no corner on common sense road behavior.
    The part about "7 over" will buy you a ticket if you encounter a state trooper almost anywhere in Texas. Their attitude is that they give you 70, or 75, or 80, or even 85 as posted limits in rural areas and you shouldn't need to take much more than that.

4 over will get you a ticket most places, and 2 over might, or might result in a roadside chat at least.

Sheriff deputies might be a bit more tolerant but you can't count on it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    7 MPH over the posted speed limit in Oregon is too fast if you're wearing a California license plates.
    Just showing up in OR with CA plates is bound to get you noticed. But since I swapped my CA plates for WA plates, I'm welcomed with smiles and waves instead of harsh looks and the occasional pop can. hahhahahaha
    Too damn many bikes to list

Just showing up in OR with CA plates is bound to get you noticed. But since I swapped my CA plates for WA plates, I'm welcomed with smiles and waves instead of harsh looks and the occasional pop can.
    Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on Maui years ago; "Welcome to Hawaii, NOW GO HOME!"

Wonder if they make a smaller version??

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

When we lived in Nevada, the motto was...

KEEP NEVADA GREEN! BRING MONEY!
    Bill Johnston

On the Road
    Vancouver... Not B.C... Washington... Not D.C.

Angry Muny's writing tickets for "4" over.

Also be advised that as things have gotten even TIGHTER over the last year or so...
    Some municipalities are now writing tickets for even 4 miles an hour over in the city limits at posted speeds of 35 - 40 - 45 mph.

Ask me how I know...

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinakr View Post
    Also be advised that as things have gotten even TIGHTER over the last year or so...
    Some municipalities are now writing tickets for even 4 miles an hour over in the city limits at posted speeds of 35 - 40 - 45 mph.

Ask me how I know...
    Sorry to hear that. I generally travel with a (approximately) 20% inflation of posted speed limit on rural roads. On I-5 its often higher just to keep from getting inhaled by other vehicles. I do recall, however, getting pulled over in Gold Beach, OR for doing 50 mph in a 45. Got the third degree while the officer's partner stood on the sidewalk with his hand on his sidearm. Kinda concerning for this Canuck.

Anyway, after 10 minutes of lecture time and for no particular reason, the cop's demeanor changed markedly and he bid me on my way. I guess a smile and a good attitude worked out for me. If I had been with SeabeckS there's no telling how it all would have turned out.

I'll be more careful with my speed around populated areas this year and also keep the stand-up wheelies to a minimum.