Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Highway Pegs ?

Highway Pegs ?

What are you using our there for highway pegs?

Did you base your choice on appearance, lines, cost, opportunity, show sample?

RCU has these:
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1533

Elf Pegs are out there for the twin spark oil head:
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2748

I believe I saw a set on the December 2012 Christmas Gift Ideas page
    of the MOA, but, I can't seem to find my darn copy!

Any opinions out there from the long riders?

Thanks from Long Island!

Jim
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

pegs

I tried these Jim and could not keep the cover bolts secure. I think some riders use them but they just did not work out for me. I ride very few days longer than 300 miles and have gotten accustomed to not having them.
    http://hawksproducts.com/TalonBrackets.html
    Lee - The older I get the better I was
    1994 R1100RSL, Black. 1994 R1100RSL, Silver Pearl and a "new" 2001 R1100RS, Red!
    Treat all others with politeness. Not because they are nice but because you are.

These were on the bike when I bought mine, not sure of the brand but they work fine.

Mick-o-Pegs are another option

I bought these a few years ago.
    http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/page23.php
    A bit pricey but all the other styles require much longer legs and even then your legs have to be in an awkwardly high position. There are some things that I want to change on mine. I want to make some pegs with deeper knurling and end caps on them so I can tell where the ends of the pegs are easily so my boots stay on them and in the right place. I have an RT and getting the fairing halves off with these on, while not impossible is a bit of a challenge.

I put Iliumworks pegs on mine... I really like'em. Plus, they fold away under the cylinder head when not in use.

www.iliumworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by BRASSCAP View Post
    These were on the bike when I bought mine, not sure of the brand but they work fine.

Those are by Hawksproducts, they also make a version that has additional bracket space for auxiliary lights...
    Bill Johnston

Wow!

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'd better take a boot length and leg measurement first, and then, mark my spot on the tupperware
    with all of the choices of highway peg systems out there.

Thanks Brasscap:
    Looks like they are a Talon Falcon highway peg mount, from Hawks Products International.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/hawksproducts/catalog/search

See you all on the road, eventually!

Jim
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

Be very careful

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so I'll be the bad guy.

The threads the valve cover bolts screw into are not strong enough to do any more than just hold the covers on.
    I know some folks have got away with it for years but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    They are easy to strip and many owners have had to repair their heads with inserts.

If you use those points for accessories you are asking for trouble.

Sorry but it just wouldn't be right to let it go.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    The threads the valve cover bolts screw into are not strong enough to do any more than just hold the covers on.
    I know some folks have got away with it for years but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    They are easy to strip and many owners have had to repair their heads with inserts.
    Doesn't the fact that is has been done for years show that the bolts are strong enough to do more than just hold the covers on?

I have never known of any owner who has had to repair them, and a quick search of the forum produced nothing in that regard.
    I am sure, however, that they are not meant for anything heavier than a leg resting on them and no doubt someone has damaged the bike while abusing them.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel"
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Mine are fine, but they only support a set of Hella FF50 driving lights. On an S, really don't have the need for highway pegs.

Cheers,
    Bill Johnston

I have the same that appear in posts 3 and 6 by brass cap. To further customize them, I drilled holes along the rail so that I could adjust/move the pegs to a more comfortable position. To fill the holes that I was not using I went to ace hardware and for .20 cents bought these little plastic caps that fit and hide the holes. It really looks nice after I painted the thing with aluminum paint. Eventually I did find some really nice looking pegs from twisted throttle that are machined aluminum too and painted those the same color. It came out looking professional and they are truly functional. The problem that I found with the elf pegs is that the RT and perhaps even the GS(A) bikes engine cylinders are not equally the same distance from the seat, ie, one leg must be longer/shorter than the other. Having adjustable pegs is the way to go as you will find when you sit on your bike and extend your legs, see where they end up on the cylinder heads. Hopes this helps you Jim, I'm also in Wantagh, just west of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

I had the ELF pegs installed at the International Rally in Gray, TN on my CLC. On long rides the pegs allow me to move and relax my legs. I'm glad that I bought them. RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by OLSENSAN View Post
    I have the same that appear in posts 3 and 6 by brass cap. To further customize them, I drilled holes along the rail so that I could adjust/move the pegs to a more comfortable position. To fill the holes that I was not using I went to ace hardware and for .20 cents bought these little plastic caps that fit and hide the holes. It really looks nice after I painted the thing with aluminum paint. Eventually I did find some really nice looking pegs from twisted throttle that are machined aluminum too and painted those the same color. It came out looking professional and they are truly functional. The problem that I found with the elf pegs is that the RT and perhaps even the GS(A) bikes engine cylinders are not equally the same distance from the seat, ie, one leg must be longer/shorter than the other. Having adjustable pegs is the way to go as you will find when you sit on your bike and extend your legs, see where they end up on the cylinder heads. Hopes this helps you Jim, I'm also in Wantagh, just west of you.
    Nice job. I like the way you mounted them on the bottom fasteners for a lower foot position.

The cylinders are sightly offset, because the two connecting rods cannot occupy the same axis.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Hey Ace, I wondered why that was, offset connecting rods etc., thanks. Never thought that deeply about it though, although if I had to get into the guts it would have become apparent. Boy, I hope I just haven't opened a bad omen for myself or some weirdo stuff, I really don't want to dig in there just yet. I just got mo edjumacated.