Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: R1200RT-P 2nd Battery

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    12

    R1200RT-P 2nd Battery

    I have a 2006 R1200RT-P and wish to remove the second battery (located in the glove box). I realize that the second battery is charged by the alternator, so simple removal will create an alternator problem. I am also guessing that the relay located just below the battery is a charge relay and that removing this relay will allow the battery to be removed with out a problem--anyone got a clue? is this is correct........or have a the key to removal?
    Bob Wilson 186935

  2. #2
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    301
    Hi Bobbbay - Interesting question regarding that 2nd battery issue in your bike. My thought is that you might have a talk with a mechanic at a police department which has some of these in service. You had not shared any location information with us, so maybe there's no one near you. Please give us some location information, and I'd bet someone could help.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

  3. #3
    BinkleyLane binkleylane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    135
    Hi Bob,

    Check out this link.

    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=conversion

    It's in the BMW Lux bike forum. A fellow did a full conversion of a RTP To RT. I believe he addresses the battery issue.

    Hope it helps.

    Bob
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    12

    06 R1200RTP 2nd battery

    Quote Originally Posted by BinkleyLane View Post
    Hi Bob,

    Check out this link.

    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=conversion

    It's in the BMW Lux bike forum. A fellow did a full conversion of a RTP To RT. I believe he addresses the battery issue.

    Hope it helps.

    Bob
    Bob
    Thanks so much for sending the link, it will be helpful. It does not reference the second battery which is a shame, the second battery issue is only because it is located up high, takes up all of the glove box space and weighs about 20lbs. Just would be nice to get it off the bike, lower the weight and be able to use the glove box space.
    It is a shame there is such limited information on the "P" bike, great bike but finding help with issues is difficult.
    Once again, I really appreciate your help.
    Bob

  5. #5
    BinkleyLane binkleylane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBBAY View Post
    Bob
    Thanks so much for sending the link, it will be helpful. It does not reference the second battery which is a shame, the second battery issue is only because it is located up high, takes up all of the glove box space and weighs about 20lbs. Just would be nice to get it off the bike, lower the weight and be able to use the glove box space.
    It is a shame there is such limited information on the "P" bike, great bike but finding help with issues is difficult.
    Once again, I really appreciate your help.
    Bob
    May I suggest you email the author of this link? I am sure he had to deal with the battery issue even though he did not address it. Let me know and I will email him for you.

    Bob
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

  6. #6
    BinkleyLane binkleylane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBBAY View Post
    Bob
    Thanks so much for sending the link, it will be helpful. It does not reference the second battery which is a shame, the second battery issue is only because it is located up high, takes up all of the glove box space and weighs about 20lbs. Just would be nice to get it off the bike, lower the weight and be able to use the glove box space.
    It is a shame there is such limited information on the "P" bike, great bike but finding help with issues is difficult.
    Once again, I really appreciate your help.
    Bob
    Bob,
    I sent a question to the author of the RTP conversion link I forwared you earlier. I will let you know what he says.
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    12

    R1200RT-P 2nd Battery

    Quote Originally Posted by BinkleyLane View Post
    Bob,
    I sent a question to the author of the RTP conversion link I forwared you earlier. I will let you know what he says.
    Bob,
    Thanks so much, I will hope to hear from him. Funny but BMW had an entire conversion kit for the earlier police bikes and even though expensive, they had some takers. Seems like there are quite a few 1200Ps out there but not too much infor--maybe I'm not digging hard enough!!
    Thanks so much for your post and time spent e-mailing the conversion author.
    Bob

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    12

    Location..........06 RT1200RTP--2nd battery

    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Hi Bobbbay - Interesting question regarding that 2nd battery issue in your bike. My thought is that you might have a talk with a mechanic at a police department which has some of these in service. You had not shared any location information with us, so maybe there's no one near you. Please give us some location information, and I'd bet someone could help.
    John,
    Thanks for your post. I am located in Blaine, WA. Nearest city of any size is Bellingham, WA and this is where the bike was in service. I have not called for assistance but think that will be my next move. The closest BMW dealer is Seattle (100+ miles), they seem a little cool to any assistance unless I take the bike to them. I can't blame them as that's how they make a living.
    There seems to be little in the way of help for the "P" bike, the stigma of "cop bike" seems to put folks off. I was able to get the wiring diagram for the police equipment but all hardware has been removed anyway. Electric issues for the R1200 are still normal and I have a diagram (in German) but it, again leaves a bunch to imagination.
    Once again, thank you for your post.
    Bob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •