Thread: Two vents from Fuel tank

Two vents from Fuel tank

Would someone describe the two vent hoses connected to the fuel tank of my 2002 R1150RT. I've studied the canister removal thread and would rather understand the mechanics behind it before deciding how to proceed. Thanks.

iirc, one is an overflow "vent" for liquid gas. the other is a vent to the cannister, which catches gas fumes and, theoreticly, funnels them back to the tank.
    just follow the directions, it's not a tough job at all. biggest struggle is removing tupperware.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    Would someone describe the two vent hoses connected to the fuel tank of my 2002 R1150RT. I've studied the canister removal thread and would rather understand the mechanics behind it before deciding how to proceed. Thanks.
    The vent tubing starts inside the tank, at the top, connected to a check valve that blocks fuel flow if the bike is tipped over. When the bike is upright, the valve stays open. The check valve is hung from the filler neck.

The hose connects to a feed-through tube on the fuel pump plate at the bottom of the tank. On the outside of the tank, the hose runs into the charcoal canister. The idea of course is that fumes from the tank get absorbed by the charcoal. This is also the way that air gets into the tank as the fuel is consumed.

Fresh air gets into the canister from the hose runing from it to the right footpeg. So when you're removing the canister you need a path for fresh air into to tank. Therefore this hose, after being removed from the canister needs to be connected to the hose coming from the fuel tank. NOTE: One guy I know and respect says to cut the hose at the footpeg on a rear-facing diagonal so that heavy rain can't splash into the hose and then get drawn into the tank.

The third hose at the canister goes to the left side on the bike to a solenoid operated by the Motronic. Once the engine is fully warmed up the Motronic opens the solenoid for three minutes and then leaves it closed for two minutes. It repeats the open/close sequence while you ride. The other side of the solenoid goes to the throttle bodies which are the source of vacuum to draw air through the canister, from the drain hose. This hose needs to be plugged somewhere, or disconnected at the throttle bodies which are then capped.

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post

The other side of the solenoid goes to the throttle bodies which are the source of vacuum to draw air through the canister, from the drain hose. This hose needs to be plugged somewhere, or disconnected at the throttle bodies which are then capped.

RB
    I removed the canister and capped the throttle bodies. Do I need to do anything else to the solenoid? Cap it, unplug it ???

i yanked it.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by PAS View Post
    I removed the canister and capped the throttle bodies. Do I need to do anything else to the solenoid? Cap it, unplug it ???
    You can leave the solenoid and keep its wires connected. I think capping or plugging the hoses to it to keep dirt out makes sense.

Roger 04 thank you very much, exactly what I needed.

Glad to help. I go back and forth on this issue, why do you want to remove the canister?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Glad to help. I go back and forth on this issue, why do you want to remove the canister?
    Potential for problems read on this site. At 11 years old, I doubt if it has any absorption left.
    Cost to replace - I will check. Fond of this planet at some price.
    $113.00 ea

Have 5 LB of activated charcoal around here somewhere. Might take a can opener to the old one and take a look.