Thread: 2004 R1150RT Alternator Problem

Hybrid View

2004 R1150RT Alternator Problem

Started up this yesterday, rode to get a newspaper. Stopped, went to start, wouldn't turn over. The battery was only charged enough to move the engine a quarter turn. I put it in 6th and rolled it down hill and it started, phew.

Rode home. Shut off. Tried restarting, and it turned over and started..

I noticed the other day that the Batt/Alt light bulb didn't turn on with the key but thought I'd look into it later. I was able to duplicate that symptom. When I measure the D+ wire at the alternator it's at 12 volts, which is coming from the indicator lamp, so it seems that the rotor, slip rings or voltage regulator isn't providing a ground. I the grounded D+ lead to make sure the bulb and wire were good and the bulb lit so everything is good up to the alternator. To me it appears that either the slip ring connection to the rotor is intermittent, or a wire is loose at the regulator or the voltage regulator has a problem.

The bike is an '04 R1150 with just under 30K miles. How likely is it that the slip rings aren't making a good connection?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Started up this yesterday, rode to get a newspaper. Stopped, went to start, wouldn't turn over. The battery was only charged enough to move the engine a quarter turn. I put it in 6th and rolled it down hill and it started, phew.

Rode home. Shut off. Tried restarting, and it turned over and started..

I noticed the other day that the Batt/Alt light bulb didn't turn on with the key but thought I'd look into it later. I was able to duplicate that symptom. When I measure the D+ wire at the alternator it's at 12 volts, which is coming from the indicator lamp, so it seems that the rotor, slip rings or voltage regulator isn't providing a ground. I the grounded D+ lead to make sure the bulb and wire were good and the bulb lit so everything is good up to the alternator. To me it appears that either the slip ring connection to the rotor is intermittent, or a wire is loose at the regulator or the voltage regulator has a problem.

The bike is an '04 R1150 with just under 30K miles. How likely is it that the slip rings aren't making a good connection?
    Brushes?
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Thanks. Could the brushes be worn out at 30,000 miles?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Thanks. Could the brushes be worn out at 30,000 miles?
    Not likely...but worth checking. I had brush issues at less miles than that once.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Always look at the last place you worked on.

If the Alternator warning light doesn't light up, it either means you've got a problem with the charging system or the light itself has a problem. No light, no charging.

Didn't you just replace your bulb with a higher wattage bulb? Last place you worked on?
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    If the Alternator warning light doesn't light up, it either means you've got a problem with the charging system or the light itself has a problem. No light, no charging.

Didn't you just replace your bulb with a higher wattage bulb? Last place you worked on?
    Always good to check the last change. I've been able to confirm that all is well in the D+ line going from the bulb to the alternator. There is +12V on the alternator (D+) side of the bulb and if I ground the D+ line the bulb lights up. So that's all okay.

Something is wrong from that wire through the Alternator to ground. I don't know if it's the wire, D+ terminal, voltage regulator, brushes or slip rings. But something is blocking continuity in the ground path I guess.