Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Capital Cycle parts

Capital Cycle

I used to buy from them in the 70's. They mailed a catalogue and were a good source. Better than my local dealer. I visited their store one time. It was in the worst part of DC.
    About four years ago I needed a wiring harness for my '93 R100RT. I called and they ordered and charge me about $50 more than the quote. When I called, they said "we have to make money." With the excellent parts service available from Max and Bob's I no longer choose Capital Cycle.
    Campbell Tellman II

Max's New Hampshire. . .

Rusty Gill - Airhead Expert Parts Manager, is in the NH store.

++1 on the fiche information at Max's, which I suspect is mostly Rusty's doing.

Great people, and fresh M & M's with every order.

Walking Eagle

Capital Cycle & problem

I had purchased a chromed header pipe for a R50/2 (As I can recall, over $80.00 each!). I forget the reason, but after receiving it, I either didn't need it, or I had changed my mind and decided not to use it. Their policy allowed for its return if in original sellable condition. It was EXACTLY as I had received it!

How did I know it was damaged PRIOR to shipping? It was wrapped with heavy light brown wrapping paper (similar to the way they used to wrap tires) - each wrap would extend down the pipe about another inch or two. Well, when I began to unwrap, I noticed the pipe had a scratch in it. THEY said that I was the one who must have scratched it because they didn't ship it that way. I asked them how they could know since the wrapping was on it, and it appeared to me that the wrapping was there from its manufacture? Secondly, there was NO damage to the box that it came in (along with other stuff) to my home. The final clincher, and the one they refused to listen to, is the scratch was UNDER the chrome plating, and clearly wasn't scratched AFTER the chrome plating. They refused to take it back.

The real clincher, though, was, that the scratch was on the pipe near the tail end, about a 1/2 inch from the exit end - the scratch would have been covered up by the muffler! They just didn't want to take back the return and clearly used the scratch as their excuse. So, I lost out.

I decided then, that I would no longer purchase from them.

So...if I can avoid it, I will.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there ARE people out there who are dishonest and will try to cheat a company, but I am not one of them! I go "above and beyond" to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt, and to be as honest as I can be.

To this day, I still think they should make it right, as I didn't have the money to waste!

Hope all you Capital fans out there are not offended!

Not to make a big "second guessing thing" here but does the use of "their",etc. imply that you did in fact try to reason with a principal party at that dealer? I have found that it's often needed to go beyond the lower part of the food chain to get satisfaction from a company. Sounds like you had a reasonable claim. It's can be tempting at the point of dissatisfaction to walk away to a more comfortable activity, rather than into confrontation.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

+1 on Max's and the M&M's !!
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

No longer a member here
    Most of the parts I needed for my 1978 R100S came from either Huckys or A&S BMW Motorcycles. Excellent service and ease of ordering.

http://www.ascycles.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Most of the parts I needed for my 1978 R100S came from either Huckys or A&S BMW Motorcycles. Excellent service and ease of ordering.

http://www.ascycles.com/
    How funny! You are in Ohio and use A & S in California, and I am in Nevada and use Max in New York.

I had used Capital in the past to buy "stock" items, as I have several Airheads. But they "lost' a couple orders, and were lackadaisical about getting them out. So I haven't bought since. It seemed they changed ownership.

No one has mentioned them, but I have been very happy with EUBMW, though their offerings are not large.

BMW Motorcycles of Countryside near Chicago works for me. Inquire about their discount plan if you order parts.
    Live Well, Do Good Work, Ride Safe.

1978 R100S MOA #104733 ABC #7413
    1993 K1100LT KOG #997 CRBMWOA

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    How funny! You are in Ohio and use A & S in California, and I am in Nevada and use Max in New York.

I had used Capital in the past to buy "stock" items, as I have several Airheads. But they "lost' a couple orders, and were lackadaisical about getting them out. So I haven't bought since. It seemed they changed ownership.

No one has mentioned them, but I have been very happy with EUBMW, though their offerings are not large.
    If, that's if, I bought in state from a dealer 140 miles away I would start out paying 6% over parts cost for taxes. In todays world I don't care if the parts come from Timbuktu if there good & cheap. Thats the way people often buy stuff these days,esp. when there is no such thing as "local" for me.Also shipping policies & price points /business plans vary wildly on parts. On my Honda vintage project many/most of the parts sellers are in Asia. NY, CA doesn't matter to me.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

P Monk

Be careful what you say!

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    If, that's if, I bought in state from a dealer 140 miles away I would start out paying 6% over parts cost for taxes. In todays world I don't care if the parts come from Timbuktu if there good & cheap. Thats the way people often buy stuff these days,esp. when there is no such thing as "local" for me.Also shipping policies & price points /business plans vary wildly on parts. On my Honda vintage project many/most of the parts sellers are in Asia. NY, CA doesn't matter to me.
    They are watching us. I also try to avoid paying taxes by ordering across state lines at times, seeing that my closest dealer is 100 miles away and they don't have an internet parts site. With our exploding government debt I doubt we will have this option very long.

Back to Capitol Cycle, I have had good and bad experiences with them. I bought all the parts I needed to rebuild my carbs from them at a good price, however when they arrived the price was higher. Still good prices but when I place an online order I expect it to be the advertised price. They seem to have improved their website some. Now if their prices are lower I order by phone and confirm the prices before ordering. The carb rebuild kit from C.C. is quite a bit lower than Bings and seem to be the same. I agree that Max provides excellent service and Rusty and crew can save you grief with their excellent knowlege of seemingly all things BMW.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The Chicago BMW that I used to buy parts from -with a discount- is gone. While I don't expect a freebie from a business: Is there a BMW dealer that currently offers a similar discount on OEM parts? I get that on car parts but have no similar deal for my bikes, in fact it's easy to get ~20% off on BMW car parts w/o being in business.
    Since Chicago closed, I've been using http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofcountryside.com/. They are offering a 10% off OEM pricing for MOA members. Just call and request.
    You're going to want to learn how to use a parts fiche for selecting the correct parts. Fiches are available on many different sites, with some variation in how they're configured. I've gotten used to using Max's, or realoem.com. Max's seems pretty logical and clear. this is Countrysides.. http://parts.bmwmotorcyclesofcountry...m/bmwbikes.epc
    spend some time poking around, you'll be a pro in no time.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Max!

MaxBMW, Ebay, and Bing are my only source for parts so far. Great experience with Max because of their service and technical support. Ebay, in my opinion, is only good for body parts that will need repainted/refurbished. Bing's OK too, but the dude I spoke with had no personality and he seemed kind of nervous- parts good. Considering shock replacements which may take me in a different direction due to $$ and it makes me nervous.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.