Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capital Cycle parts

Capital Cycle parts

I am not sure of site policy on asking questions like this, but I would like to ask anyway.

Have any of you purchased parts from Capital Cycle? Are they reliable and honest? Are prices fair, and parts - are they good quality?

Years ago (around 25 years) I had a bad experience with them that cost me around $80.00. Just a quick explanation without details. They sent me a damaged part, that was clearly damaged before it was shipped, yet they wouldn't stand behind it. Then they accused me of damaging it, so they wouldn't take it back! They refused to even discuss issue.

What about now?

Do any of you have any other place(s) which would be better places to go to purchase parts?

I am not planning on purchasing anything exotic, but normal wear replacement parts.

Thanks,

Do any of you have any other place(s) which would be better places to go to purchase parts?

Better or otherwise, check out the MOA Links & Resources section, about 1/4 way down the page ... > http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...rces-and-Links
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    I get all of my parts from either Max BMW or Hucky's. Each has slightly different flavor and unique aspect to their collection. Many years of nothing but great service and no hesitation in recommending them.

Of course, as Lew points out, there are others in the resources link. We re lucky.

Barron

Rally Rat
    About 3 yrs I purchased my rebuild parts for r100gs, good prices and excellent shipping across border to Canada.

I also have good service from max and they deal across border well too.

As max has all the online fiche I find myself using them mostly now, they have invested a lot to support us on this website And deserves the business in my view. Also fair prices in comparison.

Rally Rat
    I've dealt with Capitol Cycle twice. Both times, I got exactly what I paid for. I can't really say they're great, they're just kinda... 'meh'...

Wish I could remember which one used to include free candy...

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    Wish I could remember which one used to include free candy...
    That should be Max BMW...M&Ms I think. IIRC, Tom Cutter of Rubberchickenracinggarage includes a rubber chicken with his orders. But I don't buy parts for the goodies they may or may not include in the shipment.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Rally Rat
    hey, what can I say, I'm easily....

oooh, shiney...

when i first got my R90/6 back in early november, i got a few maintenance items from capital cycle just from having found them via a web search. then barron w told me about max's and their fiche system, which really is a great way to find exactly the part you need. compared to that, capital's catalogue is very clunky.

i have since ordered several shipments from max and am totally satisfied. i have also started ordering from bob's bmw in MD because they are closer to me and if i need something quick, it usually gets here the next day even with priority mail or fedex ground. they use the fiche system also, but max's is better because they put comments and pictures within each fiche sub-section, whereas bob's does not. sometimes i have been guided by advice in that little section as to which parts are needed with other parts. "if you get X you should also get Y". that was especially helpful with my recent carb rebuild.

i've also been told that rusty gill at max's is an invaluable resource for advice on airhead parts, though i haven't had to consult him yet.

but back to capital.... my one order from them was no problem.

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Max's and Link "source listing"

I think that pretty much the agreement is Max's. I have a friend who recently purchased from Max's and loved the service. He also loved the fact that they had the diagrams and he could actually know the part numbers.

I am going to need some help as I go, so I am hoping that someone there is willing to help me understand so I get the exact right part. If I do start tearing down, I want the correct replacement parts already here when I begin. I don't want to get it apart, order parts, wait..., get parts, find out they are wrong, wait some more.... to get them returned.

I am not saying that I wouldn't ever purchase again from Capital, but now with the internet, there are so many more choices, and now, especially from one supplier I got some excellent advice - so I purchased from him! I think his business is called Motorad Electrik (pardon the misspelling if there is one).

Also, can someone show me the exact steps on this website how to navigate to the web address: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...rces-and-Links.

Of course, I can use the address and paste it into my browser, but I would rather know where to locate it on this website, and navigate there when I need to.

Thanks so much. You all are GREAT!!!

can someone show me the exact steps on this website how to navigate to the web address: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...rces-and-Links.
    Easy jimmy..

From the beginning... click on "Forums" > "The Garage" (where you find "Airheads") go to the bottom of the page > "Links & References" (mia culpa... I previously called it "Resources")

forum page.JPG

I think his business is called Motorad Electrik (pardon the misspelling if there is one).
    Missed in by one "k". Rick Jones is Da'man!!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Donmystic1

Parts sources

I have been buying parts for my BMWs at BMW of Chicago and Max BMW in CT. both are excellant.

I've used Hucky's , Max and Re-Psycle.All were very good in my opinion and for different reasons. I will say that the New Hampshire store of Max's is better for Airhead parts that the Troy store.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmystic1 View Post
    I have been buying parts for my BMWs at BMW of Chicago and Max BMW in CT. both are excellant.
    The Chicago BMW that I used to buy parts from -with a discount- is gone. While I don't expect a freebie from a business: Is there a BMW dealer that currently offers a similar discount on OEM parts? I get that on car parts but have no similar deal for my bikes, in fact it's easy to get ~20% off on BMW car parts w/o being in business.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I am not sure of site policy on asking questions like this, but I would like to ask anyway.

Have any of you purchased parts from Capital Cycle? Are they reliable and honest? Are prices fair, and parts - are they good quality?

Years ago (around 25 years) I had a bad experience with them that cost me around $80.00. Just a quick explanation without details. They sent me a damaged part, that was clearly damaged before it was shipped, yet they wouldn't stand behind it. Then they accused me of damaging it, so they wouldn't take it back! They refused to even discuss issue.

What about now?

I am not planning on purchasing anything exotic, but normal wear replacement parts.

Thanks,
    I have dealt with Capital many times. Back in the days they used to send catalogs via snail-mail to all BMW owners.

All back in the 1970s and 1980's. I didn't know they are still in business. I never had any problem with them at all, but things can change a lot over the years.

BTW, how could you tell the part was damaged before it was shipped?

-Don- SSF, CA

Capital cycle used to be a major airhead mail order parts distributor ~ 20+ years ago. Today, they have diversified and have some airhead parts. The last items I got from them were instrument hoods (#62111356676) and advance unit grease. They are (or claim to be) a major importer of the Hepco-Becker bags - and have keys and locks but not airhead 'classic' bags. I keep them in mind but most items are ordered through Bobs or Max BMW. YMMV.
    Stan

AH# 13238