Thread: Capital Cycle parts

Hybrid View

Capital Cycle parts

I am not sure of site policy on asking questions like this, but I would like to ask anyway.

Have any of you purchased parts from Capital Cycle? Are they reliable and honest? Are prices fair, and parts - are they good quality?

Years ago (around 25 years) I had a bad experience with them that cost me around $80.00. Just a quick explanation without details. They sent me a damaged part, that was clearly damaged before it was shipped, yet they wouldn't stand behind it. Then they accused me of damaging it, so they wouldn't take it back! They refused to even discuss issue.

What about now?

Do any of you have any other place(s) which would be better places to go to purchase parts?

I am not planning on purchasing anything exotic, but normal wear replacement parts.

Thanks,

Do any of you have any other place(s) which would be better places to go to purchase parts?

Better or otherwise, check out the MOA Links & Resources section, about 1/4 way down the page ... > http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...rces-and-Links
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    I get all of my parts from either Max BMW or Hucky's. Each has slightly different flavor and unique aspect to their collection. Many years of nothing but great service and no hesitation in recommending them.

Of course, as Lew points out, there are others in the resources link. We re lucky.

Barron

Rally Rat
    About 3 yrs I purchased my rebuild parts for r100gs, good prices and excellent shipping across border to Canada.

I also have good service from max and they deal across border well too.

As max has all the online fiche I find myself using them mostly now, they have invested a lot to support us on this website And deserves the business in my view. Also fair prices in comparison.

Rally Rat
    I've dealt with Capitol Cycle twice. Both times, I got exactly what I paid for. I can't really say they're great, they're just kinda... 'meh'...

Wish I could remember which one used to include free candy...

Quote Originally Posted by Roguetek View Post
    Wish I could remember which one used to include free candy...
    That should be Max BMW...M&Ms I think. IIRC, Tom Cutter of Rubberchickenracinggarage includes a rubber chicken with his orders. But I don't buy parts for the goodies they may or may not include in the shipment.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I am not sure of site policy on asking questions like this, but I would like to ask anyway.

Have any of you purchased parts from Capital Cycle? Are they reliable and honest? Are prices fair, and parts - are they good quality?

Years ago (around 25 years) I had a bad experience with them that cost me around $80.00. Just a quick explanation without details. They sent me a damaged part, that was clearly damaged before it was shipped, yet they wouldn't stand behind it. Then they accused me of damaging it, so they wouldn't take it back! They refused to even discuss issue.

What about now?

I am not planning on purchasing anything exotic, but normal wear replacement parts.

Thanks,
    I have dealt with Capital many times. Back in the days they used to send catalogs via snail-mail to all BMW owners.

All back in the 1970s and 1980's. I didn't know they are still in business. I never had any problem with them at all, but things can change a lot over the years.

BTW, how could you tell the part was damaged before it was shipped?

-Don- SSF, CA
    Original owner of:
    1971 BMW R75/5, 1984 Yamaha Venture
    2002 Suzuki DR200SE, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Capital cycle used to be a major airhead mail order parts distributor ~ 20+ years ago. Today, they have diversified and have some airhead parts. The last items I got from them were instrument hoods (#62111356676) and advance unit grease. They are (or claim to be) a major importer of the Hepco-Becker bags - and have keys and locks but not airhead 'classic' bags. I keep them in mind but most items are ordered through Bobs or Max BMW. YMMV.
    Stan

AH# 13238

Capital Cycle

I used to buy from them in the 70's. They mailed a catalogue and were a good source. Better than my local dealer. I visited their store one time. It was in the worst part of DC.
    About four years ago I needed a wiring harness for my '93 R100RT. I called and they ordered and charge me about $50 more than the quote. When I called, they said "we have to make money." With the excellent parts service available from Max and Bob's I no longer choose Capital Cycle.
    Campbell Tellman II

Max's New Hampshire. . .

Rusty Gill - Airhead Expert Parts Manager, is in the NH store.

++1 on the fiche information at Max's, which I suspect is mostly Rusty's doing.

Great people, and fresh M & M's with every order.

Walking Eagle

Capital Cycle & problem

I had purchased a chromed header pipe for a R50/2 (As I can recall, over $80.00 each!). I forget the reason, but after receiving it, I either didn't need it, or I had changed my mind and decided not to use it. Their policy allowed for its return if in original sellable condition. It was EXACTLY as I had received it!

How did I know it was damaged PRIOR to shipping? It was wrapped with heavy light brown wrapping paper (similar to the way they used to wrap tires) - each wrap would extend down the pipe about another inch or two. Well, when I began to unwrap, I noticed the pipe had a scratch in it. THEY said that I was the one who must have scratched it because they didn't ship it that way. I asked them how they could know since the wrapping was on it, and it appeared to me that the wrapping was there from its manufacture? Secondly, there was NO damage to the box that it came in (along with other stuff) to my home. The final clincher, and the one they refused to listen to, is the scratch was UNDER the chrome plating, and clearly wasn't scratched AFTER the chrome plating. They refused to take it back.

The real clincher, though, was, that the scratch was on the pipe near the tail end, about a 1/2 inch from the exit end - the scratch would have been covered up by the muffler! They just didn't want to take back the return and clearly used the scratch as their excuse. So, I lost out.

I decided then, that I would no longer purchase from them.

So...if I can avoid it, I will.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there ARE people out there who are dishonest and will try to cheat a company, but I am not one of them! I go "above and beyond" to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt, and to be as honest as I can be.

To this day, I still think they should make it right, as I didn't have the money to waste!

Hope all you Capital fans out there are not offended!

Not to make a big "second guessing thing" here but does the use of "their",etc. imply that you did in fact try to reason with a principal party at that dealer? I have found that it's often needed to go beyond the lower part of the food chain to get satisfaction from a company. Sounds like you had a reasonable claim. It's can be tempting at the point of dissatisfaction to walk away to a more comfortable activity, rather than into confrontation.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

+1 on Max's and the M&M's !!
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100