Thread: r1100rt Radio Question

Hybrid View

r1100rt Radio Question

This might apply to any and all BMW stock factory radios but I have a 1996 r1100rt. I was going to replace the broken stock BMW radio with one from a salvaged bike (not an after-market upgrade). Problem is that the seller of the radio does not have the "code" to un-lock it. My experience has been that whenever I had to do some work on the bike in the past that required me to disconnect the battery the little red radio power light would "light-up" but would not function until I entered the BMW code that was written down in my owners manual. Can a dealer find that code for me from this salvage unit or is there some other way to open it? Understandably it is an anti-theft thing.
    I don't really listen to music/radio when I ride but when I'm taking a break I sometimes do. And I don't like having anything on the bike not working.
    Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Mike Wex (Wekselblatt)
    '96 r1100rt

Possibly/probably the procedure has changed since then, but back when I bought my K100LT, they told me that if I lost the code in the book, they'd have to contact the factory for the number. You'd need the VIN of the bike (may be an issue for you - perhaps just a good explanation...) and the serial number of the radio itself.

Maybe it can be cracked open and hard-wired around the security/power-on stages?

r1100rt Radio Question

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought in the first place. I don't think a lot of folks know because it they are replacing or upgrading it's usually for an after-market unit or if a new one from BMW it will come with it's own new code. Guess I'll pass on the offer.

Again, Thanks,

Mike Wex
    '96 r1100rt