Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Rockster top case

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    41

    Rockster top case

    I have a 2004 Rockster with side cases. I need a mounting plate and either a top case or a backrest so my wife or kids can ride with me. I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a backrest. There seems to limited info when I query Rockster and top cases and backrests. Givi makes a mounting plate and top case but the costs are close to $600 with tax and shipping. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,923
    Helen found a mounting bracket and a Givi topcase for her 2002 1150R online...I think EBay. I know it was not $600 as she is the coupon clipping wonder woman of deal finding.

    It was all new stuff, had to make sure the case and mounting plate were the same as Givi has a Monokey and a Monolock setup...they are not comaptible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  3. #3
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,923
    the topcase mounted, she didn't get the optional backrest pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    41
    Cool, is that the GIVI SR683?

  5. #5
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by rush70583 View Post
    Cool, is that the GIVI SR683?
    Good question...I'll take a look Monday

    EDIT: been sidetracked...the label inside is E19N (CA)
    Last edited by henzilla; 01-16-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add info
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    254

    Top case

    I bought a used Pelican off of ebay and had a plate machined to mount.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwcliff View Post
    I bought a used Pelican off of ebay and had a plate machined to mount.
    Can I see a picture of yours BMWCliff

  8. #8
    Registered User jmb122mp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Crofton, MD
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rush70583 View Post
    I have a 2004 Rockster with side cases. I need a mounting plate and either a top case or a backrest so my wife or kids can ride with me. I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a backrest. There seems to limited info when I query Rockster and top cases and backrests. Givi makes a mounting plate and top case but the costs are close to $600 with tax and shipping. Any suggestions?
    Buy used if you can find what you'd like. I bought a used Givi mount for the R1150R which also fits the Rockster for $75 in very good condition... it helps that I bought it from a co-memeber in the local BMW club... (a quick ebay check has one for $70+$20 shipping with no bids). I then bought a Givi V46 new from Revzilla. My total cost about $350. Not certain on the backrest costs. I'm sure there are other places to check for used gear.

    Cheers!
    Jim

    '04 R1150R Rockster (Black/Orange)
    Recent studies have shown that tall people can reach things.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,196
    buy an aftermarket rack(mine is mtd to OEM R1150R sidecase mounts same as rockster) & there are lots of other brands of top cases that will either mount direct to that or my Shad case came with a mounting plate for easy detachment.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  10. #10
    Minnesota Nice! braddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities - MN
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    buy an aftermarket rack(mine is mtd to OEM R1150R sidecase mounts same as rockster) & there are lots of other brands of top cases that will either mount direct to that or my Shad case came with a mounting plate for easy detachment.
    I'll be looking to add a topcase to my R11RS come spring. When I look at the Shad's, they claim to come with some type of universal mounting plate. Does this work with your standard, BMW luggage rack OK? I've seen many options for people that have built their own mounting plates and such, but if I can, I'd just as soon buy something that'll work. Are you satisfied with your Shad topcase? They seem to be a little less expensive than the Givi's, but I've got to say that the large Givi I mounted on my wife's 125 Vino is good stuff.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    254

    top case

    Sorry, I have since gone to 2 BMW waterproof Duffel bags I bought off an inmate on the Advrider site, looked thru pics, and can't find any with case on. It was pretty easy, set case on rack, put thin metal plate in the case, mark with sharpy, line up thin plate under rack, drill thru holes in plate in case, but tap holes underneath and use 1/4x20 SHC screws. Went to the duffles for ease of install and removing

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,196
    At least in the past BMW cases were made by Shad. As for mine, it is 42 ltr and while it's high quality, the 1st one they sent had a miscast/warped top & whole unit replaced for no cost. I never used the OEM "fancy luggage carrier" as I sold it to pay for the better one already mentioned above,which is a universal what with plenty of places to mount any brand plate. The Shad plate is for their top case only unless they tell you differently as I don't know. It is way better than the Chinese Givi clone I used before, which actually worked ok for me. Decide if the topcase needs to be removable & what brand case you are after & sameo for side cases-then but the mtg plate & side case mts..
    Might look on r1150r website as many move to newer models & sell in flea mkt there.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gilbert AZ
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    I'll be looking to add a topcase to my R11RS come spring. When I look at the Shad's, they claim to come with some type of universal mounting plate. Does this work with your standard, BMW luggage rack OK? I've seen many options for people that have built their own mounting plates and such, but if I can, I'd just as soon buy something that'll work. Are you satisfied with your Shad topcase? They seem to be a little less expensive than the Givi's, but I've got to say that the large Givi I mounted on my wife's 125 Vino is good stuff.
    That is one of the things I was curious about. I need to find a universal rack that can mount to my rockster that won't interfere with the side cases. So far I heard of the Givi sr 683 will fit fine and heard I can modify that plate to fit other cases. I would like to see how a few of you mounted it to your rockster if possible--thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •