Thread: '07 R1200RT - add redundant ground to headlights?

'07 R1200RT - add redundant ground to headlights?

I'm trying to extend headlight bulb (H7) life. I've heard that some problems are caused by flaky ground connections and that a good ground connection might preclude those types of failures.
    If that's the case, I could "easily" add a redundant ground wire between the brown ground wire(s) in the headlight nacelle and frame ground.
    Would such an action upset the CAN controllers? Would this redundant path to frame ground cause other problems? Might it extend bulb life?

steve
    '07 R1200RT
    Steve Cottrell
    '69 R75/5 (why did I ever sell it?)
    '07 R1200RT

Life is short because bulbs are on all the time.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Adding a second ground wire ought not have any affect on the control circuits providing power to the light. Unless you are getting flickering lights though, I doubt it will extend the life of the bulb(s) much.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by steve1200rt View Post
    I'm trying to extend headlight bulb (H7) life. I've heard that some problems are caused by flaky ground connections and that a good ground connection might preclude those types of failures.
    If that's the case, I could "easily" add a redundant ground wire between the brown ground wire(s) in the headlight nacelle and frame ground.
    Would such an action upset the CAN controllers? Would this redundant path to frame ground cause other problems? Might it extend bulb life?

steve
    '07 R1200RT
    Steve:

Can't hurt anything. Try it!!!

I've heard of premature light bulb failures on GS, but this is the first on an RT. I have 70K on my '05 and I think I've replaced one.

Get the good German bulbs. They fit better and last longer. You can get them at VW parts counters and other places mail order for less than the dealer charges. Don't settle for 1157's unless you enjoy changing bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
    Get the good German bulbs. They fit better and last longer. You can get them at VW parts counters and other places mail order for less than the dealer charges. Don't settle for 1157's unless you enjoy changing bulbs.

Isn't 1157 a taillight bulb?
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Isn't 1157 a taillight bulb?
    Doh! Sorry, I'm on another thread about bulbs. Got mixed up.

There is a difference between little bulbs. I think someone said the front bulbs are H7s??? I have a friend who was going through them so often on his GS that he got mad and sold his bike. They never could figure out what the problem was. He always bought the cheapest bulbs he could find. I think there may have been some connection there. (no pun intended...well, maybe!)

This friend bought a V-Strom and still can't shut up about what a great value it is. He's had it about 5 years now. I rode it once. It's kinda cool. Needs aftermarket shocks but this guy is too cheap so he just rides slow all the time. That little 650 twin is a rocket when the revs are up, though.

You guys who can't put up with BMW eccentricities would love these V-Stroms...very solid machines.