Thread: Final drive casing leak

Le Motard du Texas

Final drive casing leak

On my C650GT, there is a leak at the seam between the two pieces that form the case of the final drive.

After about 100 miles, I noticed oil drops on the garage floor and the underneath side of the final drive was oily.

I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic tightened the bottom bolts; he told me four of them were really loose.

Not more oil drops on the floor, but still some oil seeping out all around, top and bottom.

Anyone else has seen this?

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by gbuchner View Post
    On my C650GT, there is a leak at the seam between the two pieces that form the case of the final drive.

After about 100 miles, I noticed oil drops on the garage floor and the underneath side of the final drive was oily.

I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic tightened the bottom bolts; he told me four of them were really loose.

Not more oil drops on the floor, but still some oil seeping out all around, top and bottom.

Anyone else has seen this?

Guy
    See: http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/blog.htm

Mine has a little seepage but no dripping.

I asked a dealer about this. They said it's the cosmoline melting off.

Jeff Wilson life member
    My dealer told me he replaced my seal a few weeks ago. I have not been riding because we have had more snow. I will be monitoring this and keep returning to the dealer for warranty. When warranty is over I will repair the problem the same way I did my 1958 BMW Isetta (the rear drive is a chain drive in an oil bath)13 years ago and still no leaks. I used a gasket sealer (silicon).
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Le Motard du Texas
    Had the 600 miles service, the mechanic looked at it, decided to take the cover off and founf that the very thin gasket was broken. It was replaced under warrantee, so far not leaking anymore....

Le Motard du Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by gbuchner View Post
    Had the 600 miles service, the mechanic looked at it, decided to take the cover off and founf that the very thin gasket was broken. It was replaced under warrantee, so far not leaking anymore....
    Started leaking again, no drips, just oil oozing out. Stopped at the dealer this morning, they did not argue and said they would order a new gasket and fix it (they have always been very good about this type of things).....