Thread: Brake Fluid Change R1200R

On the Road

Brake Fluid Change R1200R

I was hoping to change the brake fluid on my bike (R1200R) when I read that bikes with ABS brakes should be taken to BMW Mechanic. I believe the concern is getting air into the line and causing the brakes to malfunction. Yet, I believe it is possible to change the brake fluid without gettting air into the line by carefully using a brake bleeder and slowly filling the reservoir while "pumping" out the old fluid through the bleeder. This way the line is always filled with fluid and the chance of getting air inside the line is eliminated. Since the service manual recommends a change every 2 years I believe it would be very costly to have a mechanic do this all the time. Would my method work on the BMW ABS brakes?

Please read the tech article on bleeding brakes.

There is a fine article on bleeding brakes here on this site. You can do it yourself but you need to make or purchase some very specific tools to do so. The article is quite specific and I'll post a link here as soon as I can.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Here you go Tom

send me your email address and I'll send you a PDF of how to do it. Too big to attach on this site.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

It is in the DIY/Tech area of the Hexhead sub-forum.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36364

Let us know how it goes.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    It is in the DIY/Tech area of the Hexhead sub-forum.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36364

Let us know how it goes.
    Only if you have a 2007 or later RT. Prior to that year model the process was MUCH DIFFERENT.

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    Only if you have a 2007 or later RT. Prior to that year model the process was MUCH DIFFERENT.
    No - if you have any 2007 and newer BMW it has the second generation non-whizzy brakes. A fluid flush article on the website was done on my 2007 R1200R and is documented in a DIY here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38825

BTW - the first year for the R1200R was 2007.. just a FWIW. The R12R never has had whizzy brakes (thank Dog!)..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

A dog whizzed on my R once. He got no thanks from me.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

The bottom line of this is that non-whizzy brakes bleed like anything else on the planet. If you have a solid general knowledge of brake systems there are no "gotchas" in doing them and it doesn't require any unique tools.

A basic reminder- start by sucking the particulate crap out of the bottom of the reservoir an don't let air into the master. Even a tiny bit of air in the master will produce a very poorfeel for the whole system.

RSPENNACHIO
    I purchased and installed speed bleeders... no need for the might vac.

+25 on the DYI section! Step by step with pictures, a tools list and other things needed are all there.

Quote Originally Posted by rspennachio View Post
    I purchased and installed speed bleeders... no need for the might vac.

+25 on the DYI section! Step by step with pictures, a tools list and other things needed are all there.
    +1 on the speed bleeders, and I've heard rumors BMW suggests their techs not use a vacuum bleeder on the new EVO-II brake systems, something about it damaging seals in the ABS unit.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

...thanks for this thread, now I wished I'd found it before posting the question..doh!
    Glad to know the '08 R12R ABS bleeds like everything else in the world...

Still don't know the purpose of removing the calipers though...
    "...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia