Thread: Picked up a nail in my rear tire yesterday, fixed it today.

Hybrid View

Picked up a nail in my rear tire yesterday, fixed it today.

Yes, it's cold up here but sunny yesterday and had to go to Ottawa in the car.

175/65R14

I tried a plug first but in keeping with my perfect record of 5 for 5, it slow leaked.
    I put up with that all season on the bike and am not doing it anymore so using my beadbreaker and bike irons, got one side off and applied an internal patch.

It's easy lads, if you can peel a bike tire off an alloy rim without making any marks you can surely do the same with a car tire on a steel rim.
    And when you're done, it pops back on without any fuss at about 30PSI. Nice!

If I lived near the tire guy I may not have tried, but I don't. My time was less than driving to town.
    Independence is great!
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

I originally purchased my Harbor Freight tire changer to do bike tires, but now think I've done more car tires with it. It's way easier, for sure. I'm not even going to attempt tubeless motorcycle tires.

Yes, NO tire manufacturer approves externally applied plugs for flat repair. Easy to see why.

My next use of my changer may be for 265/60-18 tires with TPMS sensors. Since the sensors are about at the end of their battery life I may attempt it, but it's still worrisome. And those things are really heavy.

Still, it's fun to do car tires as it gives you the opportunity to get tirerack tires, clean the wheels a bit, install a "factory" air valve, align the balance marks, etc. These are all things it's pretty hard to get at a tire shop.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Agreed on all counts Kent.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I originally purchased my Harbor Freight tire changer to do bike tires, but now think I've done more car tires with it. It's way easier, for sure. I'm not even going to attempt tubeless motorcycle tires.

Yes, NO tire manufacturer approves externally applied plugs for flat repair. Easy to see why.

My next use of my changer may be for 265/60-18 tires with TPMS sensors. Since the sensors are about at the end of their battery life I may attempt it, but it's still worrisome. And those things are really heavy.

Still, it's fun to do car tires as it gives you the opportunity to get tirerack tires, clean the wheels a bit, install a "factory" air valve, align the balance marks, etc. These are all things it's pretty hard to get at a tire shop.
    Just keep your tire spoon away from the sensors when you insert it. I have two notes on my tire changer, Check for tire sensors & Dyna Beads. I don't want to mess up a sensor or make a mess with the beads.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Thanks.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    umm, why not?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots