Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: After Market Seat

After Market Seat

My Corbin has served me well. 800 mile days, no problem. I am 6'6" 260. The key for me seems to be width and firmness of the foam. The Corbin is both.
    I agree with the earlier post, I like to be able to move around. The slick texture and somewhat flat design of the seat allows me the ability to move around in riding pants easily. I prefer that over the bucket feel. To each his own.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Had the wife's seat done at Mr Eds Moto in Albany Oregon, S of Portland over 5 years ago. Did great job and reasonable price, heat included
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Jack Herbst
    BMW Comfort SEAT. The only way to go. Best seat I have ridden on in sixty years of riding.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

After Market Seat

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    BMW Comfort SEAT. The only way to go. Best seat I have ridden on in sixty years of riding.

Jack
    Really? I believe you, but I have never had an OEM seat I could stand more than 50 miles. Sounds like the comfort seat is pretty good to you. Typically, they are Just too soft and narrow for this large frame.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

I bought my 2004 R1150RT used and it came with a Sergeant seat that was nice, but it was the low version and way too short for me (I'm 6'3").

I swapped that for a BMW Comfort seat, which was anything BUT comfortable - I started squirming within and hour and couldn't really go much more than 4hrs before I was in pain.

I found a used Meyer (not sure which brother), but it wasn't shaped the same way I am, so the pressure points got to me.

Finally I found a Corbin in leather. I really dislike the seat pan, and I'm not really impressed with the overall workmanship, but most importantly, it seems to fit me perfectly. I can put up with all the other issues for the ability to ride 600-700 miles in a day and have absolutely no discomfort at the end of a day!

All that said, I can't say that the Corbin would work for any other particular person. Unfortunately, it seems that seats are very much "try it and see if it works". As soon as I upgrade to a newer model motorcycle, I'm assuming I'll have to start the search all over again, though I will probably start with a Corbin!
    Loch Miwa
    Crestwood, IL
    2004 R1150RT

Thanks again for the help. I think I have landed on Bill Rocky Meyer in Ventura, while my wife I think is leaning towards Rick Mayer. The recurring theme seems to be to go in for the custom fit, which makes sense considering the investment and differences in our posteriors, sizes, ring styles, etc.
    2013 F700 GS
    Ostra Metallic Gray
    A boy lies in the grass unmoving staring at the sky...

I am making do with the Airhawk cushion and it's fine. But if I wanted to treat myself I'd go camp out a Riches in Kingston and have him do his custom number. Beautiful work and you get just what you want.

Everybody's assets are different as you can tell from the responses above.

The best saddle for me is a Kontour. My ridding buddy isn't so thrilled with his. Till you ride any seat, you won't know.

I've tried Day Long, Sargent, Corbin. Kontour was better, for me, than all of them.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Rich's custom seat experience

Very recent experience with Rich's installation of custom seat for g650gs - drive in. Very happy with the overall experience and final result. Rich's shop is very busy so process can take a good part of the day and Kingston is a bit awkward to get to but they do a great job of getting the exact fit. We stayed overnight in a local B&B, but Rich has upstairs accommodation in his shop and having seen it now, we would stay there. It's nicely finished and inexpensive.

Like Marchyman said....I like the Sargent two-piece on my Roadster, [much better than stock] and if it is going to be a 'long'! day? I add an Alaska butt pad, about half way through the planned distance. Not saying there isn't / can't be better....just saying this works for me. I'm 6'1" 280 32" inseam & age 63

Ron

I have a Rick Meyer seat and it works for me. J.