Thread: 1998 R1100R Pillion seat replacement

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

1998 R1100R Pillion seat replacement

Anyone know if there is a replacement for the passenger seat that would allow another use of the space. I'm thinking a storage compartment like the R1100RTP radio box or perhaps the R1100GS rack or a custom storage area covered with the R1100S pillion cowl. It would be great to carry the rain suit, a few more tools, etc. I don't take passengers, ever. Anyone done one? I know Corbin once had a seat with storage but I don't need any second seat at all. Info on fab. jobs would be good too.
    Thanks,
    Ralph
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    There are TONS of tail bag solutions out there. Here's just a few from A&S cycles.

http://search.ascycles.com/motorcycle/Tail%20Bag
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I put a R1100GS rack on mine. The rack will fit but the tool tray will not due to differences in the fender. I had to add some spacers under the rear mounting points. I think it is for clearance for the saddle bag mounts but I'm not sure, it has been quite awhile since I did it.

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

Thanks

I am trying to avoid a tall seat addition as my short legs and age prevent me from getting up over it. Railbender that is a good solution as I could then add a small bag/case and have the storage and little increase in height. I am thinking it through. The 1150's had a case to put over the seat to add items to (part 11) but it is not a fit on the 1100. Several of those are available on fleebay, and the GS rack is available too from boneyard. I am thinking something like that seat case as a top and eliminate the seat under it so the empty space is available and it looks good too. Thoughts? Gotta fab one I guess. Back to my canoe building fiberglas days!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.