Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to clean a windshield

Firefighter Randy

Smile Cleaning the Windshield

The best thing I have found is UltraLuster. It has 4 polymers. Two that coat dirt particles and makes them smoothe and slippery, then 2 more that leave a nice finish.
    Just spray on, buff with a new cotton wash cloth and buff until the haze disappears then finish wiping with a microfiber cloth. Will remove dirt, bugs,and road grime without scratching the windshield. I have used it and now sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    I use nothing but Lemon Pledge. I suspect Plexus is probably a better product, since it's designed to clean plastic, but Lemon Pledge works very well.

As others have said, use cloth, not paper, to clean windshields.

I've got to believe that, if you've got a windshield that's fairly well splatter with bugs, it would be best to soak the shield down first with a wet towel before jumping right into using a spray cleaner.
    +1 on the Lemon Pledge used it for years, actually reduces the bugs from sticking.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Joe

Lemon Pledge

+2 for Lemon pledge once you build up a bit the bugs come off very easly
    Joe Moore
    2001 R1150 RT

Thumbs up Plexus!!!!!!

....nothing compares!!!!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Sure Plexus is good stuff but at around $2 or more an ounce I find plenty of other stuff that can do the same job in a more cost efficient manner. Soap and water for example. Just keep the soap concentration low or you will ruin the coating layer of your windshield.

+1 on Lemon Pledge as a cleaner protectant. Works very well at a fraction of the cost of Plexus. You can also use it on your side bags as well. Cleans and brightens them up nicely.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    I have a stock windshield in need of a good cleaning. What do use to get the grime off of it without scratching it? Thanks.

Plexus makes good plastic polish products. I use a product called Dry Wash/n Guard. Waterless wash & Glaze. It works well on all surfaces. Glass,plastic,paint,chrome,vinyl , leather, rubber....... DO NOT USE ON SEAT,PEGS OR GRIPS!!

Lemon pledge will attract bees but it works.
    use a sham-wow or other microfiber cloth.

Novus plastic polish

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    I had some scratches that were deep that I sanded out with the Micromesh kit. I did the final polishing with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00 from Novus.
    I have been using Novus 1 plastic polish for about 10 years on my windshield and face shields. You can find it at Harley dealers.
    04 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by jnrugg View Post
    Lemon pledge will attract bees but it works.
    use a sham-wow or other microfiber cloth.
    Never had that happen ever but I'll tell you what attracts wasps........dead insects!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Never had that happen ever but I'll tell you what attracts wasps........dead insects!

I've noticed that. A windshield full of dead bus will draw them, I even saw a bird feeding off mine once.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    That is what I use but a friend swears by Lemon Pledge since is is easier to find and much cheaper. I bought his 5 year old scooter and the windshield looked new. He says only Lemon Pledge works (and he uses it on the other plastic).
    I'll ad this caution : as Pledge has silicone there are some of us that don't want silicone around their painted surfaces so beware of overspray with Pledge. I keep an asst. of AB polishing compounds around & any of the finer polished work fine with a WS for buffing. I use the same pad as for final paint buff jobs.
    You can also use micro wet papers-like 1,000-2,000 grits to remove deep scratches if your willing to work through all the steps toward a final polish.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I'll ad this caution : as Pledge has silicone there are some of us that don't want silicone around their painted surfaces so beware of overspray with Pledge. I keep an asst. of AB polishing compounds around & any of the finer polished work fine with a WS for buffing. I use the same pad as for final paint buff jobs.
    You can also use micro wet papers-like 1,000-2,000 grits to remove deep scratches if your willing to work through all the steps toward a final polish.

No overspray, the Pledge is sprayed on the cloth, then the windshield is wiped.
    '
    Ufda happens..........