Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to clean a windshield

How to clean a windshield

I have a stock windshield in need of a good cleaning. What do use to get the grime off of it without scratching it? Thanks.

I had some scratches that were deep that I sanded out with the Micromesh kit. I did the final polishing with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00 from Novus.

I dampen a cotton towel in warm water with a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid in it and place it over the windshield for a few minutes. Then I spray with Lexus plastic cleaner and polish with soft microfiber cloths.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Thanks. I knew someone would have a solution.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Any auto parts store will have a lot of choices made specifically for poly windshields, some cleaners, some scratch removers, some restorers. Just stop look and read. $6-10 should cover it.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Use an old worn out 100% cotton T shirt or towel.. Don't use paper towels! If the 'grime doesn't come off real easy, don't scrub, re-soak it, or you run the risk of scratching the shield with the grime that you are trying to remove. Lots of us have good luck with Pledge or similar products.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Zwei Kolben
    Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    I dampen a cotton towel in warm water with a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid in it and place it over the windshield for a few minutes. Then I spray with Lexus plastic cleaner and polish with soft microfiber cloths.

This is the way to do it.

Need to soften those scratchy dried insects.

+100 for Plexus. Makes the next cleaning easier too.
    93 R100GS, 04 R1150GS Adventure, 05 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika, 07 R1200GS Adventure, 07 G650X Challenge, 09 G450X

Multiple solutions, I truly appreciate everyone's suggestion.

I was told by a guy who makes plexiglass wind screens for boats, to use metal polish such as Blue Max on an old Correct Craft speed boat I had. The wind screen was cloudy and I was going to have him make me a new one. Well he saved me a fortune, and I have used this method for years on soft top windows on Jeeps and any clear plastics. It works! One other trick is to use brand new cotton diapers. Do not use old cotton cloths that have been washed and dried because every time they are washed you are adding minerals to the cloth from the water. This is why they feel a little rough as they get older. I have saved many plastic parts this way on classic cars and boats I have owned. Novus plastic polish is good also. But I get great results with the metal polish. Been doing this for about 30 years.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

I like to first spray both sides liberally with the garden hose. My hope is to wash away abrasive particles as gently as possible before I start rubbing on the plastic. No paper towels, I use old (clean) dish drying cloths or parts of flannel sheets for mine.
    From there sometimes pledge, sometimes good old car wax. I've used Plexus & just feel that the others work better and incidentally are a bit less costly. I've tried Hydrogen Peroxide(which is claimed to do a good job dissolving insect remains) with no advantage found. Ammonia is best completely avoided.

Some time ago I read a very good article on the IBMWR that claimed that polishing up and down was better than side to side or in circles. Reportedly this was due to the inevitable mini scratches being less distorting under glaring light (headlights or low sun).

Plexus, cleans and polishes. Spray, let stand and wipe thoroughly with clean soft cloth.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardno7 View Post
    Plexus, cleans and polishes. Spray, let stand and wipe thoroughly with clean soft cloth.
    That is what I use but a friend swears by Lemon Pledge since is is easier to find and much cheaper. I bought his 5 year old scooter and the windshield looked new. He says only Lemon Pledge works (and he uses it on the other plastic).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Soaking in water loosens the crud. Wet a terrycloth rag, and place it over the screen. After awhile, the bugs will soften and can be removed with a soft, damp cloth. Then polish as you wish

If it's really cruddy when I'm on the road, every few days I dismount the screen (four bolts), and put it in the bathtub and let it soak awhile. If at home, I use the hot tub.
    Last edited by dbrick; 01-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

I use Simple Green (16:1) and dryer sheets, then finsh with Plexus.
    Thanks
    01 R1150GS
    75 R75/5 Toaster LWB Red
    Al Navecky Jr

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    That is what I use but a friend swears by Lemon Pledge since is is easier to find and much cheaper. I bought his 5 year old scooter and the windshield looked new. He says only Lemon Pledge works (and he uses it on the other plastic).
    I use nothing but Lemon Pledge. I suspect Plexus is probably a better product, since it's designed to clean plastic, but Lemon Pledge works very well.

As others have said, use cloth, not paper, to clean windshields.

I've got to believe that, if you've got a windshield that's fairly well splatter with bugs, it would be best to soak the shield down first with a wet towel before jumping right into using a spray cleaner.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia