Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    I jump started a guy's GS at the Rally that was at least 75. He might have been over 80. He road from Ohio. His feet swelled up in the heat, and he was wearing black dress shoes. He said he rode 200 miles a day.
    I read about a guy in the mid-2000's that did the 4 corners ride with a K1200GT and he was 84 or 85 at the time. His name was Charlie Parks. I wonder what ever happened to Mr Parks? He said that if you question whether you can do the ride in your 50's or 60's, forget about doing it in your 80's. He sounded like a real rip.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    Just wait until you get hair on your ears.

FIXED:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16225120?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

That and any nose hairs can be transplanted to any bald spot.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    That and any nose hairs can be transplanted to any bald spot.
    I'm not in any danger of going bald, just going gray and getting hair in places I never had hair before.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    This thread scares me. I don't want to get old and depressed. I don't want to get dementia or altimizers. I definitely don't want to even think about stopping riding. I am only 44 right now. I exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I eat spinach every other day. Despite this, my hair is thinning out. My eye brows are thinning. How can I stop this aging curse ? I want to be like Doug .
    Whats scary about a 72 yr old guy(who can still fly) & wife that still ride? Sounds pretty encouraging to me plus the fact that there have been few if none in this thread that have had to stop riding-cheer up you 44 yr old "child"
    I registered a man at the TN national that looked to be well into his eighties. He came to the table wearing a wide leather kidney/back support type belt and was very much alive and in the moment! I wish I could remember his origination point but , well, you know what age does to ones memory... FWIW, the KY teacher retirement newsletter shows lots of 80's,90's & 100's still on the pension draw here & we are one of the UNhealthiest states.
    As to hair & aging, two of my 3 sons have more gray than myself and we are talking guys that are health nuts , at that! Forget about the hair & worry about your next ride.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Age, A Wisdom thing:)

We get more of it(wisdom), as we age for sure. Memories are great, planning future memories are even "greater" to us, as we watch the clock spin faster and faster. I'm trying hard to NOT slow up and have hit my 60 mark. Also, this coming year or so I am about to ride my ONE Millionth mile, so bikes have been so very huge in my life and it would be irresponsible to avoid them this last quarter. My best memories have been of ALL of you folks here and on the open roads of NAmerica, meeting the best this life has to offer on a m/c...It continues to the very end for me. Very active life for me too; Biker,Pilot,Sailor,Horseman,Rancher and my wife too rides her own. ALL my kids now ride GSs, with 6 of em now in the family "behind" me of course. All adventurers, so I am proud and still lead the pack....My GSA1200. This bike seems BIGGER every time I get on it now,hmmmm? Just need a larger stool, LOL.... Randy

And then there's KenF's dad who rode an Iron Butt 1000 to the PA rally and never complained about the heat. And to the Missouri International with a BB1500 miles in 24 hours. He's over 80. Usually the hottest contested award at Branson is decided among 4 riders - all over 80.

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Jack Herbst
    That's a good one but oh so true!
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Nickname: Droid
    We don't really "loose" our hair, its a matter of "redistribution" as we get older. Once we pass the "why am I getting hair here?" at those tender young years, the redistribution has already begun.

If the head is north and the feet south, as we men age, many of us find the hair is still there, it just keeps moving "south" for warmer climates.

I no longer have a fourhead, more like a fivehead, the hair just keeps creeping backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    We don't really "loose" our hair, its a matter of "redistribution" as we get older. Once we pass the "why am I getting hair here?" at those tender young years, the redistribution has already begun.

If the head is north and the feet south, as we men age, many of us find the hair is still there, it just keeps moving "south" for warmer climates.

I no longer have a fourhead, more like a fivehead, the hair just keeps creeping backwards!
    I guess I am just getting more hair then.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by andyvh View Post
    hair just keeps creeping backwards!
    aerodynamics...................................... .................
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    aerodynamics...................................... .................
    Great ! Less parasitic drag to deal with, better gas mileage!
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Hey! Who you calling a parasite???

LOL
    Bill Johnston

Nickname: Droid
    Nobody's calling you a parasite,..........just a drag.

Heh, heh.

Touche' !
    Bill Johnston