Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Grampa Tumbleweed

Entering the last quarter of my riding carreer

I'm 69 and would share two things with those soon ariving in the BOOF group: 1. This year for the first time, my vision can't be corected to 20-20. Get your eyes checked very year. 2. Your reaction time has slowed WAY down. Believe it. If you think you are the exception to the rule, ask around at rallys for a safety seminar. Then ask those folks about something called the Ruler Drop test.
    Use the wisdom from 1. & 2. to ride safer and maybe a little slower. See you on the road. Grandpa Tumbleweed.

ruler drop test

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Reading this thread, two thoughts come to mind.

One, if i were oh say 30?..I'd likely pass over the thread altogether, as seeing the topic title, it would not apply to / be of interest to me.

Two, When I attend motorcycle functions ,rallies, meets, etc. The age overall of the group seems to be...not-young. Allot of grey hair is evident.
    I think the motorcycling community in general is aging ? Don't know why ?...

Ron

jeepinbanditrider
    It's not just a feeling stats show that the avergae age of riders is creeping up every year. My roommate has a motorcycle. Hasn't moved in probably 5 months or so. I just don't think that there's enough interest any more. At least at the moment. That could change in the near future I guess depending on how the economy goes and MCs start looking better to more folks as a legitimate form of transport instead of just a "toy".

I think that also holds the motorcycle back in the eyes of some folks. To the general public a motorcycle is a luxury item and not a serious form of transport.

I first sat on a moto at age 59. Have about 350k miles now in 3 continents, 20 countries and 49 states. A bit older than the stated ages in this group. Just go for a long ride and don't think too far ahead.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

A lot of us are in the same boat it seems. I'm 65 and have thought about many of these same realities in life. I would say not to waste too much time thinking about the realities but more time doing something to live a more fruitful, fulfilling life. Think positive and do something special for yourself. Sometimes all it takes is getting a real pair of motorcycle boots, remember when you were a kid? I got a real pair when I was in my 50's and what a difference it made. I couldn't wait to ride my bike and show off those new boots. I could ride faster, longer and look good doing it. That's the way I felt anyway and that's OK.

I think lack of activity and stress are the big killers and we all have to figure out the best way to approach these. I mountain climb and play basketball two time a week for exercise. Is it doing any good? I don't know but it's better than rusting away.

As far as stress, I moved 12 thousand miles away from my business in Texas. I have someone taking care of it now, and yes I make less money, but I don't lie in bed every night or wake up in the morning thinking about it.

And if you do get to old to throw your leg over your bike, sell it and buy a scooter and keep going. Don't let age be the determiner in what you can or can not do. And, actually the closer you get to the end of a roll of toilet paper, the slower it goes; you are afraid of running out, so you use less.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbeemer View Post
    And if you do get to old to throw your leg over your bike, sell it and buy a scooter and keep going. Don't let age be the determiner in what you can or can not do. And, actually the closer you get to the end of a roll of toilet paper, the slower it goes; you are afraid of running out, so you use less.
    If your eyesight holds out, a maxi-scooter may add years to your riding. I bought a maxi-scooter a few month ago (Burgman 400) because I rode a friend's maxi-scooter and wanted one. I'm not ready to get rid of my motorcycle at 65 but I can see the day coming. I find myself riding the scooter far more than my motorcycle because it is more convenient for errands and is easier to ride because it is automatic and the weight is very low. It will easily do more than 100, will maintain any speed limit and handles as well or better than my motorcycle. It also gets 15 MPG more than the motorcycle.

I have two older friends who still ride motorcycles (77 & 79) but would be better off with a maxi-scooter. I think their reluctance is because they don't want to be seen as wimpy and less manly. It reminds me of my Dad and uncles in the late 50s. The would not buy a car with an automatic transmission, power steering or power brakes. They thought they would not be in control of a car and would be considered less than manly if they drove a car that shifted by itself and they had assistance in steering and braking. As they aged and unassisted cars became harder to find, my Dad and uncles went to automatic and power assisted vehicles. Once they got them, they didn't want to go back.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Thumbs up

I bought a Sportster in 2005 after not riding for over 25 years. Now I'm 70 and have traveled over 65K miles on several different bikes. I look forward to the Rally in Salem,
    OR and a "busy" retirement. RIDE SAFE.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Well... (good thread)

I am now 66. Two years ago, after having to re-career later in life, I made an "executive decision" that I wanted to ride more and wrench less. (My '79 airhead was getting heavy on the wrenching side.) So I raided my 401k (with my bride's concurrance) and bought an '08 RT. Now, while still in the work pool and taking additional classes, I'm making absolutely sure I get in my riding time (along with fishing, making sawdust, and playing with grand-daughter.)

While the bean-counters will challenge the financial wisdom, "recent events" (you'll get my drift) with high school and college friends, colleagues, and family members have all reaffirmed the emotional value of my decison to live more and better while I can. I'm doing my best to not neglect family or civic duty, but I AM consciously managing my time better. Don't know how many more years I'll be able to hang onto the RT, but I plan to make the best of what I do have.

BTW - got the "eyeball overhaul" (lens replacements for cataracts) in both eyes not too long before I got the RT. So I'm good to go in that department. Now all I need is an attitude transplant...

Regards,
    Marty
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

Another little piece of wisdom I like to quote to my friends when they get to feeling old and thinking they might quit having fun: Don't wait too long or you will be too sick or too old or too dead.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Nickname: Droid
    Or the saying, "I didn't give up motorcycling because I got old, I got old because I gave up motorcycling."

Jeez Andy, if you'd started riding last year you'd have a WAY bigger percentage of riding left in your career.
    Maybe start something new like 'Stunting', or Skydiving.

Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Or the saying, "I didn't give up motorcycling because I got old, I got old because I gave up motorcycling."
    Yeah. The only difference I've noticed is that I can't fall as hard as I used to.

Ian

Nickname: Droid

Maybe we should rename this thread "favorite saying of older riders."

The older I get the faster I was.

Bluenoser
    The big thing is that you have to have a plan and be realistic. Age is an issue, I'm currently 64 and realize that my strength, reaction time etc are less/slower than they used to be and ride accordingly. Type/size of bike may also enter into the picture and I take my riding days a year at a time.

As individuals we have to make the choice based on our own abilities and not what somebody else is doing. Yes there are 85 yr olds riding motorcycles but that doesn't mean they should be.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650