Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Quote Originally Posted by bandman View Post
    We up here in "da nort" as they say only tell everyone we get lots of blizzards so they stay south of the Bridge but really our winters are great. Great ice fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. are excellent winter activities. some of our destinations up here should be put on every riders bucket list.
    We have very little traffic so most trips are stress free. I'm really lucky to live in a place where beautiful scenery is abundant and sunsets over the Great Lakes are breathtaking. My last quarter of riding is in a place where each trip is a new experience in scenic beauty.
    Last Quarter Destinations include:
    Soo Locks - Sault Ste. Marie
    Fayette State Park - Garden, Michigan
    Bonn Falls -
    Black River Harbor with abundant Water Falls on the road to it.
    Copper Peak Ski Flying Jump Adventure
    Iron Mine in Iron Mountain, and Hancock
    The Keweenaw Peninsula - Fort Wilkins, Copper Harbor, Eagle Harbor

Just to name a few of the places. Crossing the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge is an adventure in itself. Good riding in these "Golden Years". The rides get better with each passing year.

While not living there, I have traveled there quite a bit. Been to most of the places you mention. I believe the only two I've missed are Copper Peak Ski Jump, and Fayette Park.

I have given serious thought to moving back up ? I just doubt the winters & my arthritis would mix well... I have been looking in the Traverse City area , thinking it might be [a-tad] warmer..... If at all affordable ? I'd like to be near / on the water. Yeah I know high priced neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I n know, I was just teasin' some of our Northern friends. You're right about the ridiculousness of school closings...same here in S/Ohio.

What sort of "comfy" saddle are you getting ? I need to get out more on mine,...and more comfy might just entice me ?
    I'll report back on the saddle once they finally send me the correct invoice & I get to try out my large tuss on it! Some look comfy & are not-I also read many reviews before I clicked buy it.
    An old friend is the outdoor sports writer for the Duluth paper(he also gets in other papers that are still alive-Sam Cook) & it's true about outdoor activity levels in the northern winter, just ask him.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    This thread scares me. I don't want to get old and depressed. I don't want to get dementia or altimizers. I definitely don't want to even think about stopping riding. I am only 44 right now. I exercise 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes. I eat spinach every other day. Despite this, my hair is thinning out. My eye brows are thinning. How can I stop this aging curse ? I want to be like Doug .

The only method I know of to stop aging results in the ceasation of everything else as well.

Be careful what you wish for............Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Last quarter of riding

Traverse City is about on the same parallel as we are here in Escanaba. We ride here From April or maybe even March to the first part of November.
    Last fall my wife and I rode to Lake Gogebic for a weekend. This was the first part of October. We had a great ride over and took in many sites around the area. We woke up to 5" of snow on the ground. We water until about noon and the temps to hit 40, then we came home. The heated seats are really nice on the LT. Anytime you get around the lake Gogebic Area, on the East Shore Road lies a beautiful resort called the Root Cellar. It is a long series of motel rooms which are fantastic. Some even have their own spas in the room. They also have cottages for families . all are right on the lake. Rooms are about $42.00 a night for the standard rooms and $59.00 $79.00 for the deluxe rooms. They also have a restaurant. Great people and great food. I'm not related to anyone there but just really, really happy with the rooms and our treatment. This place is a well kept secret. If you need any more info, you can PM me or call the folks at "The Root Cellar" Not too far from Duluth either. I believe the address is Marenisco, Michigan. Great time. Last Quarter adventures are more exciting and meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Yea, old guys are washed up and slow...........NOT

This is from my trip to the Smokey's this spring

I was playing with the Go-Pro on occasion and luckily got some great footage to go with a great story.

End of the day we are headed back to the campground, but stopped for gas before heading up, a few kids on sport bikes were milling about, showing off their skill on the back wheel as they departed. But one kind of milled about, a 30ish kid on a custom painted sportbike, tail section adorned with Rossi's #46.

As you will see, he apparently thought he would show a bunch of old guys (them not me) on BMW's how the locals run the twisty roads.

Sorry for the laughter on the sound track, I couldn't help it

My 74 year old friend, Gary, from Florida is just ahead, It was a spirited run, although he just sits square on the bike an makes it look like a leisurely afternoon ride.

Crank up the quality for more clarity. I will say too, had the kid been sloppy or looked like he was riding over his head, we would have pulled over, as I have before when riders I caught up to, felt they needed to show me skills that they didn't have!

trying to keep up with Dee when he is "running it" is a lesson in futility. and humility.

so. Dee hit him with "64 year old man" and "with full bags". did he pull out the "blind in one eye, and can't see so good out of the other"?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I will be retiring next year at 62. That is when I will have the time and ability to really start traveling on my GS. When I turn 80 I will get a sidecar. When I turn 90 I will get powersteering for the thing. When I turn 100 I will let my 20 year old French girlfriend do the driving. After that I wont remember what comes next
    Tim2

Quote Originally Posted by tewster2 View Post
    I will be retiring next year at 62. That is when I will have the time and ability to really start traveling on my GS. When I turn 80 I will get a sidecar. When I turn 90 I will get powersteering for the thing. When I turn 100 I will let my 20 year old French girlfriend do the driving. After that I wont remember what comes next

Now THAT'S a plan!!! I like they way ya think....can I borrow it?

All the guy's a hundred with a 20 yr old girlriend from anywhere on earth , have lots of money. I'll stick with my feisty 64 yr old hillbilly trophy wife.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

last quarter of riding

At 100, you might think about going four wheels like the BMW Quad. LOOKS LIKE A GREAT SUSPENSION FOR AN OLD BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    he actually had to buy a trike before he figured out that they wouldn't lean? you might want to have a conversation with your riding buddy..... just sayin'.No, he knew they didn't lean, he just didn't realize that leaning would be so crucial to his enjoyment of riding.

i'm a youngster, still on the south side of 60, so i've got nothing else to say about this. but i do think about what riding might be like when i'm my dad's age. he's 87, and except for being down due to a new hip, he still bicycles about 100 miles/week. Sure hope i can still be going like that at his age!
    Good for your dad!!!!!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Now THAT'S a plan!!! I like they way ya think....can I borrow it?
    "it" is no way to talk about his young French widow.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Good for your dad!!!!!
    This is how he celebrated his 83rd b'day. Took my brother, cousin and I on a bicy trip up along the St. Lawrence- about 150 miles in 4 days.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    trying to keep up with Dee when he is "running it" is a lesson in futility. and humility.

so. Dee hit him with "64 year old man" and "with full bags". did he pull out the "blind in one eye, and can't see so good out of the other"?

Been playing with Dee the last few days, Both the wives are along, so we run ahead, then slow up in the straights waiting for them to catch up. Been a fun few days
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    This is from my trip to the Smokey's this spring...
    Good stuff. Sometimes it's tough, getting those GS headlights out of your rear view mirrors.

...we run ahead, then slow up in the straights...
    And that way you don't waste any corners.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Makes me think of savoring each and every ride all that more.
    In my desk, I keep an old article by Warren Miller, the ski film producer. In it he reflects on a lifetime of skiing, and the technological advances, such as metal skis, fat skis, grooming equipment, plastic boots, and high speed lifts, that have enhanced his enjoyment of the sport. He concludes by writing: "How can someone my age, or any age for that matter, be so privileged to have this much fun?"

Each time I read it, I think about the amazing advances in our riding equipment and gear, that make our rides faster, safer, more comfortable, and more convenient.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."