Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Hybrid View

Nickname: Droid

Entering the last "quarter" of my riding career?

Got to thinking at lunch today. I, like many I bet, like to make comments like:

"Been riding for over 42 years now."

"Got at least 250,000 miles of riding under my butt."

Kinda nice to gloat over those comments. But, it struck me, now that I'm 55 I probably have at most, 30 years of riding left in me? More or less, maybe less! Crap, I'm into the "decreasing years left to ride" side of my life. Each ride brings me closer to the last ride, in more ways than one.

Makes me think of savoring each and every ride all that more. As we age time seems to speed up and pass much more quickly. Could be in ten fifteen years I'll be saying, "where'd it all go??!!"

Kind of like loved ones. NOW is the time to express yourself to them, what they mean to you, how they impact your life, how they've enriched your life, how its time to let go and enjoy the ride!

I am going more and more by the old Irish saying, "We're not here for a long time, but we're here for a good time!"

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I'm 65 and it is indeed flying by. When the weather permits, riding takes priority when it used to be only after I finished "chores" (mowing,etc). I appreciate riding more than I did in the past because I know it won't last forever.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I'm 65 and it is indeed flying by. When the weather permits, riding takes priority when it used to be only after I finished "chores" (mowing,etc). I appreciate riding more than I did in the past because I know it won't last forever.

@ 64 I can relate...and my yard shows it...

I will turn 67 on the 23rd of this month. My ridding buddy turned 70 last December. He bought a Goldwing Trike. Is going to sell it because it is "like driving a car" because it doesn't lean.

Gonna ride till.......................................

Those new BMW scooters sure look like a lot of fun!!!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I will turn 67 on the 23rd of this month. My ridding buddy turned 70 last December. He bought a Goldwing Trike. Is going to sell it because it is "like driving a car" because it doesn't lean.

I agree with your friend....I HATE TRIKES...also agree with the last two sentences !

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

I will be 66 this month and I have two friends who will have a birthday next month with one reaching 70 and the other 78. We are all long time BMW riders. We all looked forward to riding the BMW C650GT scooter and made an appointment as soon as the closest dealer (100 miles away) had one available. We dedicated a day to ride up and do a test ride and got there shortly before lunch. We were impressed by the looks and features of the C650GT. All 3 of us have a short inseam and found the seat height to be so high that we didn't do a test ride. My younger friend and I now have Burgman 650s along with our BMWs but my older friend refuses to ride anything that is not a BMW. He has decided that a R1200R will be the replacement for his R1200GS that has the low suspension and low seat option. He will not ride a maxi-scooter because he fears he will like it.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I will turn 67 the day after SiBud...

(Happy Birthday, sibud!) and I have no intention of quitting riding in the immediate future. Right now, my riding is greatly curtailed 'cause I'm working on my Master's and these classes take a LOTTA time...

Regards, Marty
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

he actually had to buy a trike before he figured out that they wouldn't lean? you might want to have a conversation with your riding buddy..... just sayin'.

i'm a youngster, still on the south side of 60, so i've got nothing else to say about this. but i do think about what riding might be like when i'm my dad's age. he's 87, and except for being down due to a new hip, he still bicycles about 100 miles/week. Sure hope i can still be going like that at his age!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Okay, as an aspiring geezer @ only 64, I bought my first BMW a year ago. It's a R1200RT and although I really enjoy riding it, I find I don't have much time to do so. Yet. I'll be retiring in 2015 and plan to spend a lot more time on the bike. I've really enjoyed reading thru this thread and hope to be adding to it as time goes by. You all are pretty motivational!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    he actually had to buy a trike before he figured out that they wouldn't lean? you might want to have a conversation with your riding buddy..... just sayin'.No, he knew they didn't lean, he just didn't realize that leaning would be so crucial to his enjoyment of riding.

i'm a youngster, still on the south side of 60, so i've got nothing else to say about this. but i do think about what riding might be like when i'm my dad's age. he's 87, and except for being down due to a new hip, he still bicycles about 100 miles/week. Sure hope i can still be going like that at his age!
    Good for your dad!!!!!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I so relate to this. I will turn 60 this year. I have had more years with my wonderful wife than we will have left. Where did the time go?

As for riding, after years of riding my wife asked us to be focused on parenting (and at her heart felt request of wanting to minimize risk so we both would be here) eased off riding. Returned to riding with it being my personal main means of transport in the fall of 08. (90,000 miles now). So I am looking at my dad. A sportmans and fisherman. He had a few surgeries in 2012 and is just now getting around again. I am buying the boat from him this month so there is one in the family to maintain that. He is 81 and did his usually outdoor things until 2011. So that gives me maybe another 20 years. Can I maintain the alertness and agility to be a competent motorcyclist that long? Physically I started doing a bootcamp program a little over a year ago. It makes a difference and one that I hope I can maintain. I started doing track days a few years ago and love them. I have been encouraged to consider club racing but there are too many finite issues to address. Money and Time are spoken for by the responsibilities gladly assumed in life to this point. Then there is the issue of healing when hurt. I haven't really been hurt in long time and don't relish the thought of what it would look like now versus at 30 yrs of age. So still I am exploring some more directions with the bike and planning on having fun with it. I am not writing off things but just realize a window to do things is beginning to close. With all that said, I hope to learn how well I can do on an RC51 at the track this year. GRIN (Money not there for an S1000rr).

I do look back and consider what 60 year olds were doing when I was young and I don't remember them doing things like skiing, motorcycling, bicycling, etc. I know they were but they weren't a part of my circle. I look around now and see many folks younger than I that act and seem so much older. There are friends whom we have to make allowances for and realize if with do something with Tom Sally Bill etc, they cannot do some things anymore while if we want to do kayaking or bicycling etc, other friends can still do that.

Life continues to be rich, just changing. Enjoy each part of yours.
    NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    ... now that I'm 55 I probably have at most, 30 years of riding left in me? ...
    Hate to burst your bubble, but there aren't many 85-yr-olds out there riding motorcycles. Realistically, you might have 20 years left at most. If you stay healthy and are lucky.

But I'm older than you and I find that age is like a roll of toilet paper ... the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

I can't do the riding I did only 10 years ago. Nowadays the tirps are a little shorter (one week instead of two, for instance), each day is a little shorter (400 miles instead of 600, for instance) and the speeds are a little shower (60 instead of 75, for instance). When I run into bad weather, I find a cafe or a motel and sit it out; used to hunker down inside the Aerostich and ride through it. But one thing hasn't changed: my love of travel and seeing new places and meeting new people.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

jeepinbanditrider
    250k in 42 years. Ride more post less

J/K. Don't worry about what you have left just go out and use it to the best of your abilities.

"Been riding for over 42 years now."
    "Got at least 250,000 miles of riding under my butt."
    Kinda nice to gloat over those comments. But, it struck me, now that I'm 55 I probably have at most, 30 years of riding left in me?
    Andy, my stats are similar to yours. Took my first ride at 13. About a year ago I made the decision to make my last trip the same route as my first trip. Some time after finishing high school (Back in 1975 or 76) I took my R75/5 to Nova Scotia. I hope that I am lucky enough to be able to make this my final trip. I am sure it will be a bitter-sweet trip.

I'll be 60 this year, never really thought about it impacting my riding. Thought even less about years left. I don't think I'll start now. That said, my new sidecar added a whole new dimension, lovin' it
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up