Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "BUCKET-LIST" trip cost question for you-all.......

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I remember a discussion at some time in the past, that this was NOT what the offers in the Anonymous book were for. They are intended to provide a place to stay in emergencies, not for moochers.
    First I wouldn't call someone traveling on a budget, a moocher. In fact I somewhat envy people that can do it on a shoe string budget!

Next if you check the box offering camping and tent space, sheltered bed roll space, spare room, coffee and conversation, offer tools, workspace, I would say you would NOT consider someone a moocher that took you up on your offer, anytime.

If you don't want to be bothered don't put your name in the book, or check choice "E" which stands for EMERGENCY ONLY.

I have contacted people on various websites when looking for a place to park a car and trailer many times and always found people friendly and helpful, and pleased to help. But you may be right with some in Anonymous, there are a lot of up tight BMW riders out there, luckily there are more friendly ones, to offset the balance.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    First I wouldn't call someone traveling on a budget, a moocher. In fact I somewhat envy people that can do it on a shoe string budget!

Next if you check the box offering camping and tent space, sheltered bed roll space, spare room, coffee and conversation, offer tools, workspace, I would say you would NOT consider someone a moocher that took you up on your offer, anytime.

If you don't want to be bothered don't put your name in the book, or check choice "E" which stands for EMERGENCY ONLY.

I have contacted people on various websites when looking for a place to park a car and trailer many times and always found people friendly and helpful, and pleased to help. But you may be right with some in Anonymous, there are a lot of up tight BMW riders out there, luckily there are more friendly ones, to offset the balance.
    +1.
    SOME consider the Anonymous to be an "emergency only" option, others consider it to be a "stay with old friends I have not met before" option. If you are among the former- be sure to list yourself as Emergency only.
    Richard, I think your price outs are about right at ~$100/day
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    My wife and I did a tour a few years ago with no particular time or destination. We picked up some of those discount book coupons found at rest stops and restaurants. She would get the book out around 3:00PM and start looking for a place to spend the night based on the coupons. We made no reservations and we enjoyed everything from a new Hampton Inn to a neat 50s era motel where the front was made of glass blocks.
    In October, I drove my in-laws from the Toronto, Ontario area down to the Fort Myers, Florida area. They had made this drive before. We weren't sightseeing, we were traveling, so used interstates. We did exactly what you said. When we stopped at rest areas around 3 p.m. or so, my mother-in-law would look for hotels, especially those listed in these coupon books. Everyone we stayed at had a complimentary breakfast, and I don't think we paid more than $49 a night. They were far from top of the line, but had clean rooms and beds good enough to sleep in for one night.

Our goal was to always have a better evening meal for dinner, but at least one night this wasn't possible because there just weren't any decent restaurants close, so we had to go for "fast" food instead.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

$150 per day is what I budget however I am usually under this. My formula is gasoline $50. Motel $60 alone ($40 if sharing) and the motel includes breakfast. Lunch is more like a snack, say $5 for an apple or bar and water. Dinner and evening beverages seldom exceed $25. Throw in another $10 for an extra fill up or tolls.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

I travel on the cheap

I enjoy camping, unless itÔÇÖs raining. Since I have a national parks senior pass I can stay at a national forest or park for $6-10 per night. State parks are more, but usually have showers. I have a custom POI that lists state and national campgrounds with their facilities, so finding them is not a problem. I keep a small soft sided cooler in the topcase, so towards the end of the day IÔÇÖll stop at a store and pickup something I can cook on the campstove for dinner and breakfast. If I need a motel I use the GPS and call one up the road. It just takes two questions; Do you have a room for tonight? How much? IÔÇÖve been burned, but can almost always find a comfortable and clean room for $40-60.
    Of course this isnÔÇÖt the most luxurious way to travel, but I enjoy it, and the less it costs the more I can go.

Bill

I agree [through experience] with 'oldnslow' $100 p/night for logging is becoming the norm. Once while on a trip, just for grins, I avoided restaurants. Got lucky and found grocery store / Deli's . Don't remember the numbers, but it was a bunch cheaper, and as another stated I stayed at motels that offered continental breakfast. For lunch, even at a gas station you can get a Campbells soup,cup, and some crackers.

I read a story once [in ON] I think? about a guy that stayed in hospital waiting rooms at night He said no one ever questioned him, and some even had showers in the restroom, so that long term patient families could use I suppose? He said, walk in like ya belong there, follow the sign to the cafeteria , eat, find a waiting room, usually they have a TV, and he said many have nice chairs & some couches? He said ya can't walk in carrying your luggage, but a small bag ?..no one notices.

I don't have the nerve to try it, but what the hey?

Ron

Thumbs up Eating "cheap" doesn't have to be unhealthy

There are several ways to play food each day. It is not necessary to eat fast food just to save a couple bucks! I, for one, am not going to want to sacrifice quality or healthy eating while traveling. I don't usually eat fast food, so over the years I've found many other ways to eat reasonably well, while not breaking the bank.

Breakfast
    doesn't have to be much, but is essential for a good start to a day of motorcycle travel. A granola bar, or actual granola (!), dried fruit, or nuts, make for a good power base to open the day.

For lunch,
    cheese, crackers, nuts, sardines, dried meats like salami, or canned tuna, or, again- dried fruit, will all travel well, lasting pretty well without refrigeration, while not taking up too much space.

Supper could be had at a decent diner or restaurant.

Water, water, water. Can't stress enough how important this vital liquid is, what a difference it makes for us humans. Water is cheaper than soda, better than coffee or tea or even juice, for you. Don't get me wrong. I want a couple cups of coffee in the morning. But mid day, or at supper, give me some water. And not that I don't want a beer or cocktail at night, but water is tops on my list.

Traveling thru farm country will often reveal road side stands for veggies, or farm based sales for dairy items like cheese, or meat to cook at camp, and anything else that might be grown - and eaten. Most anywhere there is a fast foo drestaurant, a bit further off the main hiway, you will likely find a grocery store.

Picnicking is FUN! Make an adventure out of your meals. Find someplace interesting to pull off, where you can get off the bike and enjoy some down time. Stretch your legs and rest your arse, and have a healthful meal break! I know for me, when I eat better, I feel better. Good food acts more as fuel, where bad food just fills you up, and leaves you hungrier sooner. Eat well. Eat smart. Fuel the machine.

Just some thoughts here guys.
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 01-09-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    Stealth camping
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

Here is my take on it

It sounds like you are going to take your time and smell the roses; that is good; your MPG should be good also. A tank of gas should be all you need each day, so that is about $20-25. That part you can't get away from.

But the rest you can. First plan you route and then get the Anonymous Book out. Locate some members along your route and check their info to see if they allow camping or have a room you can sack out in. I have done this for members before and they have done it for me. It's a good chance to get a hot bath and a good meal at the same time all willing. I have made some good friends over the years this way. Don't be bashful doing this; the BMW members that offered the help, coffee, conversation and a room or tent space did it because they are like minded and always want to help out. Money is tight with most of us these days, me included.

Money for food is what ever you are willing to do without. I mostly rode alone on my long distant jaunts, camping out in a field or far off the road and eating light. I mostly carried small cans of salmon and green peas and a bottle of Turkey. Occasionally I would stop and have a hot meal with a bmwmoa member and then be on my way. I would mention their name here but as you know they are Anonymous.

So, take your cell phone, (a credit card for emergency) , your anonymous book and $500. and have a good time.

DW

1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.