Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116

Thread: 1973 R75/5 Rebuild Project Journal

  1. #1
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111

    Post 1973 R75/5 Rebuild Project Journal

    I'm rebuilding my wife's 1973 BWM R75/5 with 97,500 miles. I documented how I restored the Bing carburetors with photos and procedures plus a Bing exploded view of the carbs as a guide. Enjoy.

    http://brook.reams.me/2013/01/04/197...r-restoration/

    I'll be posting more material as the project progresses.
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  2. #2
    Sheep Dog
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    South Central Indiana
    Posts
    64

    Bing carb rebuild

    Fantastic rebuild documentation. Thank you so much. I'm in the process of restoring a 1974 R90/6 with a Velorex 562 sidecar. Your post comes along at just the right time.

  3. #3
    Beemerphan Radar41's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    291

    Smile Bing Rebuild

    Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    I'm rebuilding my wife's 1973 BWM R75/5 with 97,500 miles. I documented how I restored the Bing carburetors with photos and procedures plus a Bing exploded view of the carbs as a guide. Enjoy.

    http://brook.reams.me/2013/01/04/197...r-restoration/

    I'll be posting more material as the project progresses.
    VERY NICE photo's! R75's are awesome .
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6 (rebuild complete)
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    Registered User 88bmwjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    2,497
    Great documentation on the rebuild. I have only one comments. The screws are peened on the butterfly to prevent them from accidentally backing out and getting sucked into the engine. As such, the backs of the screws need to be filed down to prevent stripping the threads on the throttle shaft. DAMHIK The shafts themselves are not very expensive ($10-15ea), so it's not the end of the world if you do strip them.

    When installing the new screws, they should be peened or others (including myself and the OP) have used loctite. According to the experienced people/guru's I've talked to blue loctite is more than adequate for this application. Red loctite, I've been told, is overkill in this situation. Some people do not recommend using loctite, and peen their screws.

    Anyway, great write up and keep up the rubber side down.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

  5. #5
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111
    Jeff,

    You are absolutely correct on the peening of the screw. Preventing them from mangling the threads in the throttle shaft makes perfect sense.

    Red loctite is "permanent" locktite IMHO :-)

    You are correct about the shaft (13 11 1 336 585) being pretty inexpensive.

    Thanks for reading this over and providing your input.

    Best.
    Brook.

    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwJeff View Post
    Great documentation on the rebuild. I have only one comments. The screws are peened on the butterfly to prevent them from accidentally backing out and getting sucked into the engine. As such, the backs of the screws need to be filed down to prevent stripping the threads on the throttle shaft. DAMHIK The shafts themselves are not very expensive ($10-15ea), so it's not the end of the world if you do strip them.

    When installing the new screws, they should be peened or others (including myself and the OP) have used loctite. According to the experienced people/guru's I've talked to blue loctite is more than adequate for this application. Red loctite, I've been told, is overkill in this situation. Some people do not recommend using loctite, and peen their screws.

    Anyway, great write up and keep up the rubber side down.
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  6. #6
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111
    Cool beans. Glad this was timely. Check out the the other post I added today with the documentation for the rebuild of a 1975 R75/6. Could be some things their that are useful.

    Best.
    Brook.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcockrum View Post
    Fantastic rebuild documentation. Thank you so much. I'm in the process of restoring a 1974 R90/6 with a Velorex 562 sidecar. Your post comes along at just the right time.
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  7. #7
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111

    1973 R75/5 Fork Rebuild Post

    Folks,

    I just posted material from my experience rebuilding and refinishing the forks on ny wife's 1973 R75/5.
    http://brook.reams.me/category/mc-rebuilds/

    Here's a look at before, and after.

    Faring & fender off
    Getting Started

    Fork slider details
    Sliders Disassembled

    After Rebuild & Polishing
    Rebuilt and Refinished

    Enjoy. Feel free to add any comments and tips to the my project web page if you wish.
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  8. #8
    God? What god? roborider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,033
    Nice. I have some /6 forks to do and I will read your thread.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    B.P., MN
    Posts
    687
    Plus on your work, the clean work space and the great web page.

  10. #10
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Plus on your work, the clean work space and the great web page.
    Thanks for the kind words. It takes me 1/2 as long to work on a project if I don't have to keep looking around for what I need. And as I get older, I have to look around much longer to find stuff I just had in my hand ..
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  11. #11
    God? What god? roborider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,033
    What's on your floor? Is that rubber mat? Expensive?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

  12. #12
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    What's on your floor? Is that rubber mat? Expensive?
    Hi Rob,

    I got this from these folks in Grand Junction, CO., Garage Flooring, LLC.
    http://www.garageflooringllc.com/blt-garage-floor-mat/

    The BLT product is available from a number of distributors. I bought a 9' x 20' roll @ $425 plus $21 shipping.

    It makes the shop quieter, it keeps parts from bouncing as much so they don't richochette into some dark corner, and it makes it very easy to clean up oil and grease. A drawback is when you put a bike on the center stand for awhile, it makes a dent in the mat. I had some spare scraps and used a small piece under the center stand at first, but then I found aluminum diamond tread at a local outlet and picked up a couple 0.125" by 1' x 2' sheets that I use under my bike's center stands and a 2' x 2' sheet I use near my work bench. I picked it up from these folks who are in Denver, CO. I suspect you can find a local supplier near you.
    http://www.cutsmetal.net/

    The mat and aluminum diamond tread works great. As you can see, I have my R1150-RS apart right now getting the Ohlin's shocks rebuilt.

    IMG_3599.jpg

    IMG_3600.jpg
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  13. #13
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111

    1973 R75/5 Wiring Harness & Electrics Disassembly Post

    Folks,

    I just published a new web page for the project on this topic. Here's the blog post with link to the web page showing detailed pictures
    http://brook.reams.me/2013/02/17/197...and-electrics/

    Here are a couple pictures.

    Starter Relay, Front Side Wiring Detail
    Starter Relay Wiring

    Tail Light Wiring Diagram
    Taillight Shell Wiring Detail

    Wire Loom Detail - Rotting Rubber
    Rotting Wire Loom Routing Detail

    All the web pages for this project are listed on the right side of my site with short summaries in the MC Build Projects category page.
    As always, comments, tips, tricks and "did you know you could have ..." comments are welcome. Feel free to post them on the web page.

    I hope you find this information helpful.

    Best.
    Brook Reams
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

  14. #14
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    842
    Thanks Brook - freshening up a '73 R60/5 & taillight frame needs repainting - was a little alarmed when I sar all rose wires crammed in the receptacle!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  15. #15
    B Reams brook.reams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Thanks Brook - freshening up a '73 R60/5 & taillight frame needs repainting - was a little alarmed when I sar all rose wires crammed in the receptacle!
    Hi Ken,

    Indeed, but wait until you look inside that headlight shell. I'm going to leave well enough alone and stay out of that rats nest as best I can. :-)

    Best.
    Brook.
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •