Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Oils

Left Coast Rider
    Opinion #1: It won't kill you.

Opinion #2: If said oil were to have any moisture water in it (and I highly doubt it would), would it not evaporate the first time you went for a fully-warmed-up ride?

Opinion #3: If you're picky, do what RUDYJO does.

PFFOG: Reading that link and its chemical formulae gave me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Opinion #3: If you're picky, do what RUDYJO does.
    I am picky on this topic; so I don't mix oils from different manufacturers, I don't let an open bottle stay around for very long, and readily recycle oil to my local autoparts store.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    The best comment here is to go with what is comfortable for you. Again, some people regard internet info as gospel, other reserve a very restrained view of the info posted. At best, always do some research.

As to blending of oils per this comment: "But is it a universal truth that any oil, any viscosity, dino/synth can be mixed?"

Actually yes, for the most part. I have never read anywhere, in any of many oil articles and papers I've read, that Dino and Synthetic oils cannot be mixed. Same for viscosities. They can be mixed, but the mix will alter the final result of the effective viscosity. All depends on what you mix, and how much you mix in.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

I appreciate al the information I have gotten. The reason I had not moved forward on using any of the extra oil i have is I did not think it would be smart/safe to do so. At this point I think I will just dispose of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Actually yes, for the most part. I have never read anywhere, in any of many oil articles and papers I've read, that Dino and Synthetic oils cannot be mixed. Same for viscosities. They can be mixed, but the mix will alter the final result of the effective viscosity. All depends on what you mix, and how much you mix in.
    I think this is the point that I'm trying to make...sure mix away!! But what do you have in the end? Basically, it's an unknown, and if can do potential harm or give me a false sense of security, I don't want it in my engine. They pay people big bucks to blend oils for the manufacturers. I don't see how the average person can do as well...more than likely it will be worse.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I don't see how the average person can do as well....
    Don't be silly. With the amount of information available on the internet, we can ALL be experts.

I stand by my original Opinion #1: It won't kill you. Beyond that, you're on your own.

Don't be silly. With the amount of information available on the internet, we can ALL be experts.

On a purely anecdotal note, I've used leftover motor oil and mixed brands since the late 60's. and cannot recall any oil related failures on any of my vehicles (200,000+ on a couple cars, 185,000 on the K, and innumerable others) While theorizing about ideal oils and conditions, in practicality it seems to matter very little so long as it gets changed regularly. Granted, newer engines may have more stringent needs, but from what I understand that is more for mileage and pollution requirements. Between lawn mowers, kid's junkers and my toys, I usually don't have much oil sitting around for long. And unlike some previous posters, I find the stuff pricey. Taking unused oil to a recycler would be sacrilege!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Use it in your lawn mower or a chevie.

Not a BMW.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I will stand partially corrected after doing some homework, Oils are generally not considered hygroscopic, but some of the additives and esters can be. However the amount of H2O absorption is miniscule, a few parts per million at best. There is also some info on the interweb (it has to be true if on the interweb ) indicates that the newer esters, are less so. And any absorbed water will be evaporated as soon and the engine reaches temp, with no consequences.

Several manufacturers consider 10 years the shelf life of oil.

So yes, oil can absorb miniscule amounts H2O, but unlike brake fluid, and alcohols, the dilution rate is so minute it is a non issue, and IMHO would not prevent me from using it.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Several manufacturers consider 10 years the shelf life of oil.
    So I shouldn't use that stuff in the cardboard "can" with metal end caps? And here I was pulling the garage apart trying to find the oil spout/tool used to puncture the can.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    So I shouldn't use that stuff in the cardboard "can" with metal end caps? And here I was pulling the garage apart trying to find the oil spout/tool used to puncture the can.
    Warning! Total thread derail imminent!

I'll pay $25 to anyone here who can supply me with an original can of STP from the '60s or early '70s.

When I have a quarter of a quart of oil left as an orphan I use it in my 36 year old Bolens garden tractor or dump it in with 4 new quarts in my old Ford Explorer.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I have a couple of spouts you can borrow, still have the sound of the "beak" slicing the metal, etched in my brain. Kind of like the sound of the action of a pump shotgun, no mistaking it.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Warning! Total thread derail imminent!

I'll pay $25 to anyone here who can supply me with an original can of STP from the '60s or early '70s.
    Can't do that but I'm still using from the red can of Marvel Mystery Oil I inherited from my mother that died in 1986.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.