Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 First Ride

Quote Originally Posted by redcat43 View Post
    It's not the cold here in East Central Wisconsin that keeps my bike in the garage...it's all the salt and sand on the roads. A few hours of riding are not worth the corrosion damage.
    It is easily addressed with a quick wash before you put your you bike away. I usually hit the car was and rinse if off then put it back on the stand. The One thing I know about my BMW's.. They are meant to be ridden... Its ok to get it a little dirty..

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Roadkill -- That's assuming you have running water outside this time of year. Around here the outside spigots are shut off and drained by the first of December. If you forget, the first minus 20F spell breaks pipes and floods the basement. I won't have any water running outside till at least March.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Smile First Ride 2013

Hey Royce,

Yes, I'm fairly close to you. I'm south of you just off K7 & Prairie Star Pkwy (95th St). I took another ride yesterday...a bit more cool than last weekend. I occasionally ride to Weston and go to the Weston Cafe for breakfast on Saturday mornings. Then I ride from there to...well, I just see what I feel like doing!

Coloradoclc (Jeff)

Saturday was my first long ride on my 1994 K75. I rode from Georgia to Tellico Plains, Tenessee and returned home for a great 240 mile day. I enjoyed riding the K75. It was pure joy each and every mile. I was up early Sunday morning washing my red beauty in order to show her to the guys at the local coffee shop. So, my first ride on the K75 of 2013 will bring a smile over the years as I recall my first long ride on K75.

2013 First Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Saturday was my first long ride on my 1994 K75. I rode from Georgia to Tellico Plains, Tenessee and returned home for a great 240 mile day. I enjoyed riding the K75. It was pure joy each and every mile. I was up early Sunday morning washing my red beauty in order to show her to the guys at the local coffee shop. So, my first ride on the K75 of 2013 will bring a smile over the years as I recall my first long ride on K75.
    Did you stop at Kats Deli? Love that place. Good people. I got caught in the worst rain of my life there once. My usually flawless riding gear just couldn't handle the several hour deluge. Cold and wet, pulled into the deli. Probably the nicest people you could meet. We ordered food which was excellent, then sat out on porch to dry off. Proprietress shows up with towels right out of the dryer and some kind words. I never pass it without stopping.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Got out Fri, Sat and Sun here in NE Ohio. Even after the heavy rains we had the roads were pretty nasty. By the time I was ready to put the bike back to bed it looked like a salt lick. Had to drag out the hose and turn the water back on and give the girl a good scrubbing. I have my pipes set up so that they will drain out by themselves so the hardest part was draining the 100' of hose and putting it away. Another nice day and we will do it all over again.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by redcat43 View Post
    ..it's all the salt and sand on the roads. A few hours of riding are not worth the corrosion damage.
    No sand on the roads around here...it's 100% salt. Such are the joys of living near a huge salt mine. Every roads dept. in the county uses pure rock salt. Ever since I made it a rule not to ride once there was salt on the road, the bikes have been corrosion free.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Orginall posted by Ibarbee

Although I do love the soup and sandwiches served at the Deli, I decided to go the the bakery on Depot Street.

Jetsen55

Rubbing it in.

I hate to rub it in, but this last weekend brought temps in the high 60's to low 70's here in NC. I had a really hard time getting off the bike....the four wheelers are not use to or ready to see us out there, seems like all the ones I came across were to busy texting. Hasn't stopped raining for the past 3 days now.....what a tease!

Finally last Sunday enough ice melted on our street to get a bike out. Until tonite it has gone down single digit to a couple below every nite for a couple weeks; stuff just hasn't been melting. Dropped daughter off at grandma's on way home in cage, fired the RT up. It was great to see the smile on that beautiful lady of mine, anticipating getting out on bike! She did say it was the coldest ride, but no regrets. We couldn't go higher up, due to black ice and snow the higher you go, but going towards town was relatively clear.
    Only saw two other bikes; a Harley parked at a biker bar, and a metric cruiser going the opposite way of us. Kind of surprised not to see another BMW.
    I sure get sick of caging it to work every day!

Usually this is a slow month for riding, but for the first time in my 29 years of riding I put 1000 miles on the bike during a January! Lets hear it for global warming!!!
    Last edited by DaveSlash5; 02-03-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Winter washings:)

No outside water, no problem! You have inside water, use it. A bucket of nice warm tub water works real nice. Use multiple buckets and a plastic cup to rinse the bike. Done it too many time to list here. Just watch out for the ice as the water freezes quickly on the ground you're walking on. Heated garage is best place for all this, mop up the mess, or squeegee it to drain. I wash my bike inside garage several times a year, just using less water. Those of you having 4 feet of ice at the door, ouch! Learning "demolition" comes to mind, sticks of M80s and drill holes! I need my bike. lol. My current CA. living has me riding year round, less issues, but still wash my bike inside because I can. Wife hates it when I bring the bike near the fireplace for drying. Just outside of gasoline danger, enough heat to keep its GSA soul ready to ride, short notice. Almost like Batman and his cave/car thing. Mine is the Beemer coming from the garage, all warm and surging ahead. Enough, already! LOL. Its ridden daily, or almost. Randy

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    No outside water, no problem! You have inside water, use it. A bucket of nice warm tub water works real nice. Use multiple buckets and a plastic cup to rinse the bike. Done it too many time to list here. Just watch out for the ice as the water freezes quickly on the ground you're walking on. Heated garage is best place for all this, mop up the mess, or squeegee it to drain.
    AAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Let's see, my warm weather friend... First of all in weather like this the water poured from your little plastic cup would freeze as it dribbled down the bike, so the salt and muck would be hidden beneath a layer of ice. On one of the warmer days you might get icicles hanging from the frame to give your ride an interesting decorative effect. And any water that did manage to reach the ground would instantly create an ice slick we would have to avoid until late March. Water on frozen ground is a bad combination!

Heated garage? What's that? Unless it's attached to the house and shares the heating system -- and is insulated to a fair thee well -- a heated garage is a hopeless waste of money. Drain pipes need to be buried below the frost line, which here means four feet down. And they just become winter hiding places for small animals anyway. Besides, if you're lucky enough to be able to squeegee water into the drain before it turns to ice, it'll just freeze inside the pipe. Mops and chamois freeze before you can rinse them. Sponges freeze to the floor and leave chunks behind when you tug on them.

It was 6F for my morning ride today. There is no way I'll be able to rinse the bike unless my wife lets me install a double door so I can ride it into the living room and park it by the woodstove. Of course even then I'd have no place to squeegee the water. But thanks for the chuckle!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

It's been a wet and gloomy 2013 here in Western Oregon but the sun shined through today. It was a perfect afternoon to wash the winter grime off the old bike and car and get out for a spin. My first real ride of the year aside from running errands around town. About 80 miles total, up into the foothills until I found snow, mid 40s temps so chilly but comfortable, (the only heated gear I have is my boots when I tuck them up under the cylinders!) It felt really good to get out on the bike though.

(they get along well)

out on the road

Calm and clear view of Dexter Reservoir, what a nice day it was!